PDA

View Full Version : Hockey in Non-Traditional Markets

R W G R
09-19-2010, 07:13 PM
I have NHL Center Ice, and watched some games from Atlanta last year. They announced 14,000 people, but there was no way even 9,000 were there. To see all the empty seats when the camera panned the arena was shocking.

It is a bit surprising hockey did not catch on better in Columbus. But then again, most northern Ohio hockey fans are die-hard Red Wings fans. They did not switch their allegiance when the Blue Jackets came into the league.

I think hockey has done well in California. The Kings have a solid following, and the Sharks have a rabid following. Hockey has been a huge success in San Jose. Anaheim does okay, but if any of the three teams in California should go, it would be the Ducks, hands down.

Atlanta is a failure, as is Phoenix. Tampa Bay is a mild success, while the Panthers are toast. Hockey will survive in Florida, just not in south Florida.

Dallas will survive.

riggs
09-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Perhaps you should let Gary Bettmen know your views on this. They appear to clearer than those of the commissioner. Good luck getting him to swallow his pride and getting him to do what's best for the game and market.

R W G R
09-20-2010, 08:29 PM
I understand Bettman's priority is to create a bigger pie for the owners. However, I do wonder when common sense comes into the picture.

Bettman doesn't want to lose any of these struggling franchises, because once you leave a region it is at least a generation (25 years or so) before you could try to go back. But for the good of the game, get teams back in Winnipeg and Quebec City. And why Seattle doesn't have an NHL team yet is beyond me.

riggs
09-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Clearly the above mentioned cities are struggling and creating a drain on the other franchises just so he can save face. If he was truly interested in long term viable markets he would be looking to relocate teams to markets that will create a healthy revenue for many years.

Maybe it's time to look at the power the commissioner holds and make the necessary adjustments to that position. If the owners feel his decisions are less than sound, perhaps an arbitrary board could be appointed to look into such matters.

Super Gram
10-11-2010, 06:30 PM
You wish.

riggs
10-13-2010, 08:45 AM
You wish.

Yes I do. Is it asking too much to expect a sound decision?

Super Gram
10-24-2010, 03:17 AM
The last Coyotes game the attendance was about 9,500

R W G R
10-24-2010, 02:59 PM
The last Cyotes game the attendance was about 9.500

nine and a half people??

:)

Forget about the Coyotes, did anyone see that Atlanta Thrashers game Friday night? The official attendance figure was 9,138, but there was no way there were more than 5,000 people there.

Oscar_Leroy
10-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Paul Bissonnette says it best on his twitter. I got a good laugh from it.

morning folks. Guess we actually had more then 5000 fans for our game. Didn't realize it was dress like a seat night. Close to a sell out.

Coach
10-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Now....for non traditional markets....I can't wait for the Stanley Cup finals between the Biloxi Bullets and the Santa Fe Condors.....ohhh I'll bet millions will watch....