PDA

View Full Version : Meatless meals

SIMBA
09-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Anyone have any meatless favorite recipes you'd like to share?
We aren't vegetarian but I would like to cut down the grocery bill a tad. I don't feel that we need to have meat every single night but still want to make sure my kids have the proper nutrition. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

everywoman
09-20-2010, 04:59 PM
It's not meatless, but you can make a really awesome chili with very little ground beef for turkey. We always buy the ground meat when it's on special, and freeze immediately. Throw in tonnes of veggies(corn niblets, peppers, chick peas etc), and it's still really really good and flavorful.

Depending on your garlic taste, you can make a pasta with butter, olive oil, parm and lots of fresh garlic all tossed together. A nice salad on the side...mmmm....

I am not a picky eater tho, so I can make a meal outta anything!

Bill Nash
09-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Without meat, you have to find a way to get protein. Protein is found in animal products (ie, meat), so your best bet for protein in a meatless meal is something with eggs. Of course, seafoods also contain protein, but aren't always cheap. Good luck.

gouligann
09-21-2010, 07:06 AM
Here's a quick easy meal with no meat.

Cut up celery, mushrooms, onions, zuccini and peppers into bite sizes. Add a clove of minced garlic. Fry in oil, margarine or butter until tender and set aside.

Cook elbow macaroni, strain. In the pot add a can of tomatoes and a can of cheese soup, heat on low stirring occasionally until it comes to a boil, then mix the pasta and vegetables into it. Healthy, tasty and kid friendly.

SIMBA
09-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Without meat, you have to find a way to get protein. Protein is found in animal products (ie, meat), so your best bet for protein in a meatless meal is something with eggs. Of course, seafoods also contain protein, but aren't always cheap. Good luck.

Yes that's what the hard part is. Thankfully there are quite a few foods that do contain protein. We eat a lot of white meat chicken and lean beaf but not pork or fish fans. I'm just doing some experimenting for now just to see what's out there before I actually start the change. My kids are the biggest concern. They are already healthy and they eat extremely healthy so I don't want to disrupt that.

Gouligann, that sounds awesome! I will for sure be trying that! Thanks :)

heintzman
09-23-2010, 09:59 PM
I like to have veggies and dip in the fridge ready to go,,, cause we all know that if the kids just can't grab something in a min. ,, then there is just "nothing to eat in this house", so after a few days when everyone is getting sick of it, i make a vegetable pasta. I use all the left over veggies and add some mushrooms,,, i find that the mushrooms really make it.
chop onions, and garlic to taste
put 1 tbls. olive oil in pan, add onions and garlic cook 5 min
add about a cup of chicken stock, bring to simmer(crushed chille pepper can be added at this time if desired)
add veggies,, tough ones first , like carrots
add the rest of your veggies
cook til desired doneness
add some parmesan cheese
toss with your favourite cooked pasta
top with more parm.

will
09-24-2010, 09:06 PM
tofu.... you need to have meet...shop walmart usa..unbelievable..i got some chicken breat to nigh at basics 3 pieces, i can get 9 breasts for the same price, its sick..also whole chickens....i can get one here for like 9 bucks, i can get one same or bigger for like under 5 bucks us... i love usa lol

will
09-24-2010, 09:07 PM
you can have meat every day and keep the bill low..need help just ask

kitca
09-26-2010, 11:01 AM
there are alot of protiens out there that dont come from meat. nuts, seeds, eggs, cheese, and the legumes (beans like kidney, chick pea, romano,refried beans, lentil...) old fashioned oatmeal has a fair bit of protien - add some hemp seeds and you have a great breakfast. (i know, youre talking about suppers)

pasta with diced tomato, canned tuna and chunks of cheese - heat till cheese is melted and all warmed together.

salmon/potato pancakes - mashed cooked potato, can of salmon, egg and a few bread crumbs - fry in a bit of olive or grapeseed oil till warm and brown and crispy.

vegetable crustless or crusted quiche with chunks of cheese (chunks of cream cheese in a quiche is really good too). i like to make mine with bacon which i cook first. i keep the package in the freezer and just cut off a couple inches of the end with a sharp serrated knife. i add sliced mushrooms, some onion red peppers. beat up 4-5 eggs, pour into baking dish or pie crust. add some grated cheddar and some chunks of cheddar, and some chunks of cream cheese. spread over the bacon and tender cooked veggies. bake at 350 till egg is set.

pasta carbonaira (sp?) cook up some spaghetti. in another pan brown up finely cut bacon, when almost cooked add a whole wack of sliced mushrooms and cook together till done. mix that - fat and all in with the drained pasta. beat up 4-5-6 eggs and stir them into the pasta mix - keep the heat on and keep stirring. the egg will cook but be like little crumbs that you can hardly see. add parm (real grated is best) and salt & pepper. omg - its sooo good.

i know these contain a little meat - but bacon and canned fish is cheap. eggs go a long way and if you go across the river there is always usually a sale on cheese at soo super value