PDA

View Full Version : No OHL All-Star Game

R W G R
09-21-2010, 07:41 PM
"The Ontario Hockey League has decided to pull the plug on its annual all-star game in an effort to reduce player workload and injuries.

Commissioner David Branch announced the scheduling change Tuesday during a media conference call previewing the 2010-11 season, which kicks off Thursday.

Fatigue was the main concern, Branch said.

“It was the number one factor as to why we chose to not have an all-star game moving forward,” said Branch. “I think that while the players loved it, it just gets to a point where we're taxing some of those key players far too much.”"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/ohl-axes-annual-all-star-game/article1717231/

Good idea. Now if only the NHL would follow.

Coach
09-22-2010, 10:53 AM
wel much to my shock...I am o.k. with this.... The game is always a bore anyway. I would go another way though.... Let's still have the day or so to do it... give the teams 3/4 days off for it... and Have them put on a super skills competition. The teams can send their mandatory "stars" so people can see them in action and weeks before the main event...individual teams can have their own skills competition (for charity) and send the names of the winners of each event (With their skate times, mph shots and accuracy, etc.). Then the G.M.s can have a conference call and pick the top 6/8 finishers in each event...include them with any "stars" that havn't qualified and have a one night show and autograph session... my idea....

Jack Butler
09-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Don't think for a second it's about anything but money!
If it made money it would remain.
Other sports suffer the same problems logistically.
The NFL allstar game is the biggest joke out there and it remains.
I can see the need for picking the players for the fans and the player credentials and in some cases, contract leverage!
IMO, all allstar game are a waste unless they get all the players picked to show up…and play!!