PDA

View Full Version : Networking

NewCasa
09-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Right now I've got a bunch of computers running different operating systems - a couple each with Win 7, Vista, XP and even one with 98. Each one has it's purpose but right now they aren't speaking with each other. Also, I've got a laser printer and an all-in-one inkjet printer. Some are wired and some are wireless. We've also got a Blackberry and an Xpedia 10 phone. You know how it is - kinda just grew like that organically.

So now the question: How the heck do I get them all talking to each other? I'd really rather not pay for a whole bunch of O/S upgrades but if I have to do a couple I might spring for it. I'm also considering some version of Linux as a base O/S for the network, then plugging all the various Windows devices into that, but I'm not sure if that's the greatest idea around, though I do anticipate having an Ubuntu machine at some point.

Any thoughts?

Hans
09-22-2010, 11:47 AM
What do you mean with "they are not speaking to each other"?
What are you trying to accomplish?

NewCasa
09-22-2010, 12:02 PM
What do you mean with "they are not speaking to each other"?
What are you trying to accomplish?

I am trying to get all my computers to be able to share files and printers with each other.

Upper Decker
09-22-2010, 12:05 PM
That sounds like lots o fun lol. First things first, Set up your host machine (providing your doing it the way I do) with secure multiple user accounts(the host machine should have a user account from each client). Then have the host machine map all said drives and what not from other machines. After that its down to configuring each individual machine to access network shares. As for throwing 98 into the mix, not too sure as Ive never done that before.

Sorry about how brief that is, but without actually being onsite to do it, all i can offer is a quick overview.

Hans
09-22-2010, 01:48 PM
I am trying to get all my computers to be able to share files and printers with each other.

That's easy. All you need to do is configure Samba on each machine.

Under a Windows Machine it's called "client for microsoft networks"
Under Linux it's called Samba.

http://www.control-escape.com/linux/lx-samba.html[/URL]

Just ensure each machine is configured to join the same workgroup, so you can browse them using windows explorer.

For a network printer I would install them individually on the machines as needed. I would not attach them to a machine and then share them over the network, as that requires both printer and machine to be powered on all the time. That's how I have my network printers setup.

Also it's best to install a gui to configure samba under linux, unless you are good at using a cli.

I highly recommend you install webmin on your linux machines so you can configure your linux distribution(s). It will make your life 100 times easier.

[URL]http://www.webmin.com/ (http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/networking/samba.shtml)

NewCasa
09-24-2010, 01:23 PM
I did a little checking on Samba. It seems that Samba isn't compatible with certain versions of windows. Anyone know anything about that?

Hans
09-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Samba is compatible with all versions of windows. I have never run into any issues with compatibilty once Samba was configured properly.
I believe the compatibility you are speaking about has to do with file permissions aka ACL of windows NTFS. Linux does not support all features of ACL. I guess you could call that an issue, but it has never caused me any problems.

NewCasa
09-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks Hans. We're moving into a new home and I want to set everything up just right so I appreciate this.

Hans
09-24-2010, 05:43 PM
To make your life easier you should setup accounts on Unix machines that match your windows accounts.