PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Soup

cutie22
09-28-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm looking for a good recipe for homemade soup. Yes I've tried google but I rather something that people have already used and they know they like. Any help would be awesome.

HDV
09-28-2010, 11:54 AM
i ll get my fathers chicken soup with cappeletties (sp) recipe for you. And for myself :) It is the best chicken soup ever. All homemade and fresh. It is very very easy to make as well. I have a pretty good idea but i d like to e 100 percent sure.

There is one soup a friedn made that was pretty good, She called it hangover soup

2-3 cans tomatoes.
1 pound ground beef
1 can tomato juice.
1 can water ( use the tomato can)
3 potatoes cut in small cubes
5 carrots
4 celery
a onion
any veggies really u want to add
and 2 cups of elbow macaroni.
You can also add rice if u like instead of pasta or those little star pastas or shells.

cook the beef separate till cooked and add everything into one big pot. Let cook all day.
I start it in the morning and let it cook till supper. Or if u dont have all day let cook till veggies are tender and the pasta its ready.
You can add whatever spices u like. I just add salt and pepper.

BrAt
09-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Oh! I made that but I added in a can of sweet corn, some garlic... and I cooked the macaroni right before serving then added it to the bowls of soup so it wouldn't be all mushy. It's SO good!

ssmarie
09-29-2010, 09:55 PM
If you want to make good chicken soup you need to use a stewing hen - find them at Pinos - get the butcher to cut it in half and you get two big pots of soup . I usually freeze 1/2 for later. Boil big pot of water. Add salt then add 1/2 stewing hen....Bring to boil again and add 1 onion, 2 carrots, a very ripe tomato and 2 stalks of celery. Boil with lid on for about an hour, then take lid off and boil down for about 1/2 hour. Let simmer for 45 mins. Cook pasta seperately.

HDV
09-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Oh! I made that but I added in a can of sweet corn, some garlic... and I cooked the macaroni right before serving then added it to the bowls of soup so it wouldn't be all mushy. It's SO good!

yes i forgot , i added corn too and did cook the macaroni before hand or it does get all soft and mushy.

cutie22
09-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks everyone I will definately give these a try.

gouligann
10-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Beef Barley Soup
Get some good meaty beef soup bones, boil them in water or beef broth for a couple hours until tender. (the meat should easily come off the bone)
Remove meat from bones, cut into small cubes, and return meat to pot.
Add:
1 can chopped tomatoes
chopped up celery
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1/2 small onion
a handfull of peas
a handful of green beans
1-2 cloves minced garlic
1/4-1/2 cup pearl barley (rinse first)
Salt and pepper to taste

Simmer for 40 more minutes until barley and vegetables are done.

MagicFingers
10-01-2010, 04:56 PM
I knwo stupid question but when you say handful of peas and beans you mean the dried peas and beans right?

gouligann
10-05-2010, 08:03 AM
I knwo stupid question but when you say handful of peas and beans you mean the dried peas and beans right?

No, I just open cans of peas and green beans and use about half of them,(I think adding whole cans would be too much) but maybe dried would work too? Never tried them.

tasma
10-06-2010, 05:13 AM
When I make chicken soup I add a package of Knorr vegetable soup mix to the whole thing for extra flavour and veggies which my husband doesn't get other wise.

ssmarie
10-07-2010, 03:38 PM
does that have a lot of salt in it, Tasma?

NewCasa
10-07-2010, 04:22 PM
2 tblsp ground lemongrass
2 tblsp hoysin
Pinch of chinese 5-spice
4-5 decent sized heads of baby bok choy (chopped large)
2 heads chopped broccoli (heads only)
1/4 head chopped cauliflower
1/2 cup mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped green onion (in disks)
1/2 cup cubed, browned chicken breast
1/4 cup chicken stock
1 3/4 cup water

Mix water, hoysin, 5-spice, lemongrass and chicken stock in a pot, bring to boil. Turn down to med-low and put in rest of ingredients except green onions. Just before serving, put in green onions. Serve with soy sauce and dried noodles on the side. Can also add angel hair rice pasta.