10-11-2010, 05:01 AM
Real easy and it works all the time.

sliced potatoes
diced onions
flour
milk
margarine
salt and pepper

In a baking pot, grease up the bottom with margarine. Layer potatoes, onions, a dusting of flour. Repeat until you get to a inch or two to the top of the pot. Fill up the pot with milk until the potatoes are covered with milk. Put on a few globs of margarine. Salt and pepper. Bake it until the the top is browned and put a fork into it in the middle until its done.

My preference is 300 degrees. The time, I would estimate 2 hours. If you want the sauce is thicker, put some more flour, or cook it longer.

Really simple.

In my opinion, scalloped potatoes without baked ham is taboo.

IMHO
10-11-2010, 09:59 AM
tHANKS...WE DO HAVE A NICE SPIRAL HAM...a change from turkey for TGiving. Your recipe is one my mother used to use and I shall give it a whirl. I had forgotten about it.thanks again.

Melanie Booker
10-11-2010, 11:41 AM
i sometimes use a can of mushroom soup instead of milk and flour.
layer spuds and onion, mix up soup with half a can of milk, pour over top, shake the pan around a bit to settle and bake.

BrAt
10-11-2010, 01:41 PM
I do the soup thing too... it's yummy!

gouligann
10-11-2010, 05:22 PM
I also add layers of sliced cheddar cheese in my recipe to add more taste (I use the flour/milk recipe). I know one friend who adds melted cheese whizz into the milk.

ssmarie
10-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Scalloped Potatoes

Ingredients:
4 cups thinly sliced potatoes, about 6 to 8 medium potatoes
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups scalded milk
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Preparation:
In a buttered 2-quart baking dish, place a layer of about 1/3 of the potatoes. In a cup or small bowl, combine flour with salt and pepper. Sprinkle about half of the flour mixture over the potatoes; repeat with another layer of potatoes and the flour mixture and top with remaining potato slices. Dot with butter then pour hot milk over potatoes. Cover and bake at 375 for 45 minutes.

Uncover; sprinkle cheese over the top. Return to the oven and bake, uncovered, for an additional 15 minutes, or until scalloped potatoes are tender and cheese has melted.

Scalloped potatoes serves 6 to 8.

Charity
10-16-2010, 08:19 PM
I use the first recipe listed but I also add a diced red pepper on top of the potato layers. It adds a bit of colour and has a nice flavour.

BrAt
10-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Mmmm.. cheese and peppers! Never thought of that. I'll have to try it (just minus the peppers on the kids' portions LOL)

MagicFingers
10-19-2010, 11:58 AM
This is my recipe

potatoes thinly sliced
Can of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
Sliced onion
1/2 can of milk
sliced cheese usually about 6 slices
salt pepper
and grated cheddar cheese

I do it in layers.

CANDY_74
01-16-2011, 06:13 PM
I do my scalloped potatoes in the crockpot :)

Slice the potatoes, dice up some onion.
Layer it in the crockpot.

Take either a Large can (or 2 small cans) of Cream of Mushroom Soup and pour over the top, add a little bit of milk...
Let this cook for approx. 2hrs and then put on the top grated cheese.
Let it cook for 3-4 more hours.

Its delicious and saves the oven for the ham :)

ssmarie
01-16-2011, 06:59 PM
wow - thanks Candy - sounds delicious and really easy - I am going to try this recipe.

CANDY_74
01-17-2011, 12:15 PM
You're welcome :)
Its super easy and tastes so good..lol...my fiance will even eat these and he HATES scalloped potatoes