PDA

View Full Version : Is OHIP still paying for Weight loss surgery outside Canada

lilmonkeygirl
10-19-2010, 06:16 PM
I have heard that OHIP is no longer paying for weightloss surgeries outside Canada. I am trying to find out if this is true. OHIP's website states that there are several places that a person can be approved to have the surgery in the USA including at Munsion. I know they are no longer covering the MGB in Las Vegas or Florida (which would be my preference).

Any help/info would be much appreciated
:confused2:

Bill Nash
10-19-2010, 11:57 PM
If your immediate health and life is at risk, they will approve the surgery (MGB or Rn/y) in extreme circumstances. You will have to jump through many hoops, but it is always worth a try. Good luck.

lilmonkeygirl
10-20-2010, 06:56 PM
If your immediate health and life is at risk, they will approve the surgery (MGB or Rn/y) in extreme circumstances. You will have to jump through many hoops, but it is always worth a try. Good luck.

thanks for the reply

do you happen to know what qualifies as "immediate health and life risk"?

Bill Nash
10-21-2010, 12:46 AM
thanks for the reply

do you happen to know what qualifies as "immediate health and life risk"?

To qualify for the surgery, you generally have to have a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 40 or higher. If you have a co-morbidity or two, the BMI only need be 30. It is the co-morbidity that creates the health risk. These can include; high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, liver disease, and diabetes. There are, of course others.

OHIP has not ruled out all out-of-country referrals. The number of referrals has dropped dramatically from almost 1000 annually, to mere dozens now.

Your doctor probably knows squat about out-of-country referrals. The best place to get answers is from the health centers in the USA that actually do the surgeries. Go to http://www.clos.org which is the website for the MGB. It is an excellent source of information and help.

skibunnie64
10-21-2010, 07:45 AM
My understanding is that there are now bariatric clinics in Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton and London now. this is why they are not approving out of country surgery. Someone I know was told that. Just don't quote me on the cities but i know the first to definitely are doing them.