PDA

View Full Version : Splake question?

EyelashExtensions
10-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Mu Hubby was at a local lake splake fishing. All day there were many splake surface swimming (like sharks) with their fins poking out of the water. Two days in a row they weren't able to catch anything big, just smaller ones. He said he has never seen anything like it before. The large amount of school splake swimming so close to the surface. I looked online and couldn't find much information. Other than yes they do like to school. Any ideas as to why they are doing this?

bluekrissyspikes
10-25-2010, 12:40 AM
as far as i know they do this when it's rainy weather out. i don't know why but there are splake in elliot lake and i used to see them doing this when i was camping.

bohd
10-26-2010, 11:00 AM
not positive but, since splake are hybrids of both lake trout and speckled trout and both species are fall spawners , i would think it had something to do with the spawning process.
instinct is still in their genetics and even though they cannot breed i think they still go through the rituals...

bluekrissyspikes
10-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Unlike many hybrids, the splake is able to reproduce

http://members.shaw.ca/amuir/splake.html

bohd
10-26-2010, 09:52 PM
you learn something new every day....!!

EyelashExtensions
11-04-2010, 08:32 PM
From what I read the splake around here don't reproduce. Some do and some don't. They do still "spawn" but there are not any hybrid reproducing splake in these areas. It is a very uncommon occurrence, especially with "manufactured" splake.

I thought it might have had something to do with that as well.