PDA

View Full Version : Prob connecting to the internet

SweetBiotch
11-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Here is my problem.. A few weeks ago i had a virus on my computer and was unable to boot up or do anything..A friend had to reinstall windows xp and when I went to go online,I was unable to .My modem will allow my friend to go online with his laptop, but i can't with my desk top. I would appreciate any help please.I am paying for internet and can't access it..Thank you

Scoff
11-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Question: Is your friend qualified or is the friend just someone you know who is "into computers"?

I'm wondering firstly if the drivers are properly installed for the NIC on your desktop computer. If XP is unable to install drivers upon a fresh install for anything, it's going to be the network card (among a couple other pieces maybe).

Open Device Manager and see if there are any "yellow yields with black exclamation marks" beside the network card (under "Network Adapters"). This icon indicates a problem with the hardware.

To open Device Manager:
1) Right click on the "My Computer" icon on the desktop
2) Click "Properties"
3) Click the "Hardware" Tab
4) Click the "Device Manager" button
5) Expand the "Network Adapters" node.

Verify the Network card is actually working.

If it is working ok:

Are you plugging directly into the modem? If you are then you may have to reboot the modem.

In the past when Shaw came to install my modem/internet the local tech could get online with his laptop but at that time my desktop wouldn't connect. The modem required a simple reset as it appeared to be storing/caching the Mac address for the tech's laptop and when the desktop was plugged in it just wouldn't go online. A simple reset fixed that.

You probably already tried the modem reset though right?

Try the "Microsoft Solution" on the router too if you haven't already. (MS Solution = reboot) Just in case you're using the same port as your friend did and something is remaining static in that port.

Confirm the card is working and then let us know.

SweetBiotch
11-08-2010, 01:26 AM
thank you..finally got everything online again..He is awesome with computers.It was just difficult to find the time to come here to fix it..Yes i had tried rebooting the modem, several times but nothing worked. All is good now. Not sure what he did to get it going again..too technical for me lol I appreciate your advice though..ty