PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Vets: Good News Story

Intangible
08-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Sault people go the extra mile to give help

Letters
Letters - Thursday, August 02, 2007 Updated @ 6:52:14 AM

Our family had the great opportunity to move to this amazing city of Sault Ste Marie two years ago.

The first thing we noticed was the friendliness of the people here and their insistence to "go the extra mile."

To my amazement, this concern didn't stop at the people.

I have experienced this same depth of caring and concern from the private sector as well.

One such business we have to express our appreciation to is Black Road Veterinary Services on Black Road.

Our two-year old, male, American cocker spaniel, named Teddy, had an encounter with what we believe was a raccoon, resulting in a badly infected area through the hip and rear.

Much to our surprise, this developed very quickly into a severe bacterial infection that caused parts of his flesh in the rear end of his body to die and fall off.

We made our emergency call and Black Veterinary was on that weekend. What we noticed about this veterinary service first, was the fast response to our emergency call, and then the immediate professional medical attention our pet was given.

Our vet carefully explained what was happening to him and what we could expect in the future.

It was her genuine concern, not only for our Teddy, but for our family as well, that convinced us our dog was in good hands.

Our vet made herself personally available to us and kept us informed to Teddy's condition.

The workers in the clinic always considered our phone calls important and we never once felt like we were just another customer. It's easy to believe that our vet bill could have accumulate into the thousands of dollars, but this is not so. We even noticed some of her services were not include in the bill.

We were told by many of our friends about much cheaper veterinary service we could have gotten across the border, but we wouldn't trade how the vets in our city go the extra mile for the saving of a few dollars.

We are happy to say that our Teddy is on the mend and that he will continue to receive bandage changes until he is healed and we get our old Teddy back.

So once again, thanks to our veterinarians in the Sault for caring about all our animals, and for caring about us.

Lucille Boucher,

Maple Drive

Sara
08-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Fantastic...and that is what I always try to say about our vet too...

Their prices are their prices because they have to be. So they get around that a little bit by just not charging for some of the smaller things that they do. They're human too, and for the most part, they do care! Of course there are some vets in this city who would appear to be out for the almighty buck and nothing more - but I find that ours just isn't that way. And he has NO problem sharing us with our vet in the US either. We still go over there to get the dewclaws done on our puppies because it's hundreds of dollars cheaper, but neither vet minds that we do and we have good experiences every time.

I'm so glad to see a Canadian vet finally get some good press here! Kudos to Dr. Niessen! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Evangeline
08-03-2007, 05:23 PM
yeah that's great and all, but my vet goes above and beyond, and has way better prices.

I have poseted before that my family has had pets die under the care of the vets in this city, the ones across the river have always been outstanding when it comes to care and treatment of our pets.

Even if the vets here were CHEAPER I would not use them for anything important or life threatening!

maybe for shots, or anal glands, lol

Sara
08-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Well it's going to be a situational thing for everyone, just like I've said before in similar threads. There is no vet anywhere that's going to have done everything right, every time for every customer. There aren't any who every person in the world is going to be happy with.

We used to use a particular vet across the river. We loved him and he was great to our pets. Then he sold his clinic to another vet and we continued to go there out of loyalty. But, we ran into 2 situations where the new vet displayed an attitude that the money was far more important that our pets and we started to get upset... then we had a big issue with them booking an appointment, quoting a price, cancelling the appointment without calling us so hubby wasted half his day getting the dogs there to find that out, then we finally get to an appointment with them to find the cost was TRIPLE what they quoted us. They offered to cut 25 bucks for their prior mistake but big deal. It wasn't about the money, it was about the disrespect and disregard at that point.

A vet on this side, saw a dog in an emergency situation for me. Told me he recommended a particular treatment and she'd be fine in a few days, sold me meds for her, blahblah. Later that week, dog is still obviously in distress, meds hadn't changed anything, went to our current vet to find out that she had an internal infection and needed surgery immediately. Our vet did the surgery, charged us less than he quoted us and let us make payments on it because at the time, we were a one-income family.

Same vet that made that mistake... I had to take a cat there because we were caring for it while its owners were on a trip to Korea. That was their vet so reluctantly, off we went. We didn't know what had happened to the cat, it looked near dead. The vet says the cat's had a severe heart attack, better put it down. We couldn't just decide to do that so we called the owners in Korea; they wanted a second opinion. Rushed the cat to another vet who actually spent a bit of time looking it over to find out it was jaundiced and was having liver issues. They hospitalized the cat for a week, medicated it, sold me meds to keep the issue under control afterwards and the whole bill was only $500 or something like that. Cat lived and recovered well!

Everyone has to go where they're comfortable, to see someone who they trust and can rely on. That's not going to be the same person for everyone.

I just personally feel that the vets here take a lot of flack, brought on mostly by an attitude of superiority and distaste from a particular vet's office in town. But all of our vets do not feel the way he does. And all of our vets are not money-hungry *********s.

I could pick up a dog off the street right now and go to my vet's office and he'd see me. No phone call first, no appointment, whatever. Maybe he'd charge me for it, maybe he wouldn't. I can call for advice when I need it and most of the time he helps me over the phone. I get discounts, I get hugs when there's something going wrong with one of my pets, I get follow-up phone calls to see if all's well... I love them.

If you get that from your vet across the river, GOOD! That's what I hope everyone has with their vets whether they're here or there! That's never been my issue...my issue is just the flack that "the Canadian vets" take whenever someone mentions price or whatever. They are NOT all the same here...not at all.

Sorry to rant. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

katste11
08-03-2007, 08:58 PM
I have yet to come across a vet here offer ANY of that when they discover you use a Vet across the river. And half the time its the receptionist who is down right ignorant. I called every Vet in the phone book the day Heidi needed care...and each and every one refused. I'll stick with the US Vets who are more than happy to see my babies any time of the day or night...not have attitude AND have good prices.
Glad there is now ONE Vet here that isn't such a snot..hopefully there will be more...and for the good vets out there...listen one day to how your receptionists answer the phone...you might be surprised.

GRUMPY
08-03-2007, 11:10 PM
and away we go yet once again American vets good, Canadian vets evil.............. Why can't people just read the first post and say thats nice I'm happy everything turned out alright for the dog. But it always ends up with a "that's nice but however...".

From my personal experience with American vets there is no way in hell I'd waste the bridge fare going over to see them.

katste11
08-04-2007, 07:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and away we go yet once again American vets good, Canadian vets evil.............. Why can't people just read the first post and say thats nice I'm happy everything turned out alright for the dog. But it always ends up with a "that's nice but however...".

From my personal experience with American vets there is no way in hell I'd waste the bridge fare going over to see them. </div></div>

You complain and yet you do the exact same thing you complained about lol

skibunnie64
08-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Well, all I can say that when Simara was very ill beginning of the summer, I called her vet on the Canadian side and they took her right away. I felt she got excellent care and when she was ready to come home, he explained everything they did for her, went over her bloodwork, and he even gave me copies of her bloodwork as I was going out of town and said if you have problems with her don't hestitate to call or have the vet where you are call me. I also came home from a vacation with a phone message from the vet inquiring how Simara was doing! No complaints about Simara's vet. It was probablely a bit more expensive but so much more convient for me and she got great care!

Mr & Mrs Allyyyzkat
08-05-2007, 05:44 PM
That story was nice /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

gouligann
08-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Yep, nice story, glad to hear everything worked out well and Teddy survived.

MagicFingers
08-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Just so that people are aware vet prices in ontario are the highest vet prices in Canada. The highest vet bills for this province is in Ottawa. Since moving back to the Sault I go to Sault Michegan where I absolutely love them not just cause of the prices but the treatment we receive.

Everyone must do what they are comfortable with. If you are happy with the vets on the Canadian side of the boarder that is all that counts. I am not. Have not been happy with the service I have gotten for years and so now I only deal with Animal Kingdom on the american side.

Lance
08-09-2007, 06:02 PM
But when you can get shots and a pet fix across the river for just the price they want here for shots alone,the argument is closed as far as I,m concerned.

I,m sure the gas station owners on our side are nice guys,but money talks and BS walks so off I go accross again.

Its nice to be a border town and not stuck with one option.