PDA

View Full Version : Cake balls

Tansy
11-08-2010, 04:03 AM
http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/shared-blogs/austin/dining/upload/2009/03/could_the_cake_ball_be_the_nex/CakeBalls1.jpg

I recently made these and they were a huge hit. Seriously fattening, bad for your health, and *delicious*.
Got the recipe from here: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/cake-balls/Detail.aspx

I found this worked the best:
- Bake cake of your choice according to directions.
- Allow to completely cool. (I put mine in the freezer for 1/2 hour.)
- Crumble into bowl and add frosting of choice until sticky enough to form into balls. (Go ahead and use your washed hands for this. It's too fiddly to do with a fork/spoon.)
- Form into balls and place on cookie sheet. Place in freezer.
- Melt confectioner's chocolate until smooth and velvety. Remove from heat immediately.
- Take cold cake balls and using a fork/toothpick/popsicle stick/whatever you've chosen, dip into melted chocolate and twist until covered. Place back on cookie sheet and repeat with another until done. (This is the most obnoxious part. Open freezer, shut freezer, repeat...)

All in all it as a quick process and amazing results! There are different varieties I want to try as well:
- Carrot cake and cream cheese frosting.
- Red velvet cake with choclate frosting.

tasma
11-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Mmmm these sound yummy! I found some more variations in the reviews. Tansy this would make a great a great addition to the cookie exchange if your interested in joining if not someone that hasn't got a recipe to try this would still make a great addt.

Variations/flavors: • White cake mix and mint chocolate chip icing - Dipped in chocolate confectioners coating. • French vanilla cake with white chocolate almond icing. – Dipped in chocolate confectioners coating. • Red velvet with cream cheese icing and vanilla confectioners coating. • Red velvet with cream cheese icing dipped into milk chocolate coating. • Chocolate cake, milk chocolate icing, dipped into chocolate bark. • Lemon cake with lemon frosting and dip them in whit chocolate. • Lemon cake mixed in white chocolate chips and lemon frosting, dipped in white chocolate. • Spice cake with cream cheese frosting and coated them with white chocolate coating. • Cherry chip cake mix and cream cheese frosting dipped in white chocolate. • Fudge cake, mixed in peppermint chips and fudge frosting. Dip in dark chocolate. • Chocolate fudge cake mix and coconut pecan frosting dipped into chocolate. • Chocolate cake, butter cream icing, and dark chocolate coating. • Chocolate cake/chocolate icing and dipped into raspberry/chocolate chips are melted with a bit of oil. • German chocolate cake mix with coconut pecan frosting & dipped in melted semi sweet chocolate chips. • Strawberry with vanilla frosting, dipped in chocolate. • Carrot cake with cream cheese frost

Tansy
11-10-2010, 05:05 AM
Saturdays are the worst for me to go and get stuff done, with my job. :( But people are more than welcome to use the recipe!
Quick hint from a twit that found out the hard way: Do not try to use chocolate chips for your outer coating. They just don't melt properly. (Although I got a great surprise result with white chocolate chips melted in a bowl in boiling water. I added a bit of the boiled water to the chips and it melted into a lovely velvety goo. I then held the cake balls with a fork and drizzled the white choclate with a spoon all over the balls in wavy patterns. Yummy!)

tasma
11-10-2010, 09:10 AM
too bad

HDV
11-10-2010, 11:22 AM
when u melt chocolate in a double boiler ( pot of boiling water and a glass bowl) make sure the water does not touch the bowl at all or it will burn and not melt properly.

chase_me
11-10-2010, 05:03 PM
I will have a few yummy recipes from Kraft for cookie balls soon including four exclusive ones that only about 26 people will have access to until I post about it.