PDA

View Full Version : Henry J continues to bring Gibson down on their historic slide ...

Dillio
11-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Introducing the "revolutionary" new Firebird X ...

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Firebird/Gibson-USA/Firebird-X.aspx

Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhyWlF6tWig

Seriously? Google the unveiling and laugh at the presentation of this guy. (Henry J - CEO) I'm at work and can't find his presentation, not sure if it's in the above video. He is the absolute worst presenter I have seen.

He thinks a Gibson Firebird with on-board effects is "revolutionary" even though it's been done since the 80's by crappy manufacturers and the idea just never took off. It's hard enough to get 5 guys to agree which OD/Distortion unit/pedal is the best and you want to put them on-board a guitar?!?! In the demo, when the guy switches to the OD or Fuzz I simply have to cringe ... is that not the WORST dirt you have ever heard?

The only thing about the guitar I like is that "marble rosewood" neck, it's unique ... I've even seen someone say it was Brazilian marble rosewood. Ok, so that's a little special considering finding Brazilian rosewood on an American produced guitar is getting harder and harder to find. The guitar could work as a "gimmick" or a starter guitar, you know ... pay $500 and get a guitar and a bunch of effects you can fool around with. Like the Variax (from Line 6) or something ... but not with the $5000 MSRP that the new Gibson has. Won't be $5000 in the store, maybe just below $4000.

Then he has the nerve to call anyone who doesn't appreciate this as "Luddites" ...
He smashes a Gibson SG pretty much showing what he thinks of current Gibson production guitars ...

Add this guitar to the likes of the "Robot Guitar" & the "Dusk Tiger" ... Robot guitars came out with a $3K price tag at your local shop, you can usually find those under the "clearance" links when shopping online. ;)

My God, comparing this guy to Paul Reed Smith is laughable ... watch some presentations with Paul at this year's PRS Experience compared to Henry J.

I think the only thing that can save Gibson is a reincarnation of Ted McCarty. Oh wait, Ted would probably go back to work with Paul Smith.

HAHA.

I love reading the Gibson sites and watching numerous people talk about how they are leaving Gibson to become PRS players, that simply puts a huge smile on my face. You see some other mention of Fender, Suhr but the amount of times I saw the PRS name was impressive. Some even mention going back to the old Kalamazoo shop and getting some "Heritage" guitars.

All the Gibson players are crying for what real PLAYERS want (not collectors), no, the world doesn't need the 200th version of a Les Paul ...

Trim your line and stick to making quality guitars the way you did 20 years ago and beyond.

In the meantime I'll smile at the fact I've already offed any Gibson guitar I've owned and replaced it with an American PRS.

PRS >>>> Gibson.

ByrdDawg
11-09-2010, 01:01 PM
You are right, guitars with built-in effects are not a new concept and this is another over-priced hyped up attempt by Gibson that is going to fall flat on its face.

I don't know why these guys think guitar players want computers with strings on them.

If all these "amazing" computerized guitars and modeling amps were so great, you would be able to pick up an old Fender Deluxe Reverb on eBay for 50 bucks.

I think they are losing sight of their market, like Fender did back in the mid-seventies when they brought out the Starcaster. That didn't go well for them.

The music comes from your fingers, not a computer chip.

Dillio
11-09-2010, 01:59 PM
"If all these "amazing" computerized guitars and modeling amps were so great, you would be able to pick up an old Fender Deluxe Reverb on eBay for 50 bucks."

Ok, so a part of me wishes that the world would get really stupid for a week or so just so we can take all the vintage gems off their hands while everyone was delusional. :D

I hate modeling as well ... like I want to get something that "sounds like" or "almost like", naw, I'll get the one "that is".

ByrdDawg
11-09-2010, 02:33 PM
This " vintage collectible" thing is good if you are a seller. I've made money in the last year on 3 old Traynor tube amps that I got cheap ( one was given to me to save a trip to the dump ) and sold on eBay.

Those old Sears Silvertone tube amps are like gold too.

Somewhere in this town, in dusty closets and garages, there has to be a bunch of them. Hard to find and if you try to look too hard, people start to ask why and the price goes up.

Dillio
11-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Yes, I hear there is a market for old Traynors. It's funny because growing up and as a teenager that thought I knew everything (lol, I knew nothing) there were lots of vintage things I passed on or shot-down.

Thankfully as I got a little older I got smarter.

I find it interesting you've seen the last 3 years as a seller's market. Maybe we're looking at it differently; so we are actually looking at it the same, but I've seen them as a buyer's market. Especially buying from the US. I've picked up a few things as well and lately I've noticed some things dive-bombing in price. When I read the various forums I keep hearing the same 'ol line about the economy being bad there and people getting desperate. Couple that with a dollar that's almost par in any transaction and I see it as our prime time to buy.

I've been on eBay and just in the past 2 months alone I've refreshed a particular search of mine and I saw something at a great price that was just posted within the last 15 minutes (not unbelievable, just a lower than rock bottom price [been doing eBay for 10 years, I know the scams and what's legit]). By the time I verified the information and the auction it had already sold.

NewCasa
11-09-2010, 04:17 PM
If anyone knows where I can get a 1975ish Hummingbird for 500 bucks let me know :)

ByrdDawg
11-09-2010, 04:47 PM
One of the things on eBay that hasn't been dropping off is old guitar and bass tube amps. I have been watching them for years and prices continue to hold. You can't put an old fender anything on there without the bidders descending on it like a flock of seagulls. Traynors are starting to climb also and old Garnets, Epiphones, Valcos, Kalamazoos, Gibsons and even the old Department Store specials from the 60's - 70's get big bucks.

It's that nostalgia - collectible thing.

Oh, if I find an old Hummingbird for 200 bucks, I promise I'll sell it to NewCasa for 500

NewCasa
11-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Oh, if I find an old Hummingbird for 200 bucks, I promise I'll sell it to NewCasa for 500

Looking forward to hearing from you on that!

Dillio
11-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Yes, I mainly look at guitars.

As for amps, I've been mostly a high gain fellow all my life so modern amps have usually been the way for me so I only really looked out for those. Although in the past 5 years or so my search for various tones have really broadened my sounds and opened me up to more vintage style amps.

I haven't been looking at the vintage amps or department store amps really but I did do some work with a 74 Fender Twin Reverb that I picked up in town. I followed that market for a little bit but it appears like anything Fender it has to be really old for it to be worth anything decent. It's sad when my 1996 50th Anniv US Custom Strat will fetch me a mere $700 and I bought it for $1700, then my 2005 20th Anniv Custom 24 PRS which I paid $2000 for new will get me $1700+ still/already and climbing.

I ended up keeping the twin, even if it just sits there most of the time ... a vintage Silverface is a nice thing to look at and I won't let it go for $700 or something on eBay, I'd rather keep it till it's worth more. You're right, it's the "collectible/nostalgia" thing that has made me keep it. Not to mention a wicked clean tone and of course one of the best reverbs of all-time.

OU812
11-12-2010, 09:11 AM
love the color, love the neck. not crazy about the bodey style. i know how picky guitar players are when it comes to sound so good luck with the whole "on-board" stuff. i am pretty sure this model will fail horribley. sad to see the one thing that kept gibson on top is the one thing they excluded in this model.....simplicity.

Scoff
11-19-2010, 12:16 PM
The guitar would be okay if it didn't have the built in effects, that neck does look kind of cool. The headstock is even nice although it's not the standard Gibson. That body shape actually grew on me after 5 minutes but it's not a shape that would be a preference. Don't like the Explorers, V's and so on.

That redolution colour is rather nasty in my opinion. I'm with you too on the whole PRS greater than Gibson statement but it was you that turned me into a PRS guy after hearing & seeing them a few times. It's easier to make that transition when I see Gibby releasing stuff like this and seeing what PRS is working on.

Speaking of which, did you get any new ones lately? You try out anything with those new Narrowfield pickups?

As for the added effects, yes, Henry must be delusional. No seasoned guitar player is going to give up their pedal-boards for something like that. Either that or redundancy is introduced in your chain. (even though it's on-board)

"sad to see the one thing that kept gibson on top is the one thing they excluded in this model.....simplicity. "

Bingo!

Dillio
11-23-2010, 12:47 PM
I picked up a 25th Anniv 513 just a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I also grabbed a late 80's Ibanez Jem 777DY about a month and a half ago. The 513 is my new favourite now.

I've been checking out the narrowfields and I'm looking at a Swamp Ash Special with 3 narrowfields. I got really interested in them after getting my 513 and after watching the video with Davy Knowles. I like that PRS is starting to really dive into the single-coil and hybrid-pup market.