PDA

View Full Version : sensory diet.

Giggle Squirt
11-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Does anyone else have their child on a sensory diet? What are some activites you do regarding touch and sound sensory issues?

blueeyedgirl
11-11-2010, 04:52 AM
The Children's rehab can help you find a sensory diet that may work for your childs needs. If you don't already have an Occupational therapist then you should request one. Every child is different therefor their needs will be different. Its a matter of finding what will work with that child. With my son everything that they tried just didn't work. With me knowing his likes and dislikes we were eventually able to find something that works for him.

You will need to find out what helps the child to relax and allow the child to focus and retain attention for a longer time span. Is it pressure point, a feel of a certain fabric, a bear hug, something in his hand. There is also plenty of info online that you can look up and try at home yourself. When you do find something that works and the child is in school involve the school as well so that the child can have a better day at school if there are issues there. Good luck!!!

Babzz
11-11-2010, 06:56 AM
Childrens rehab also has some great group programs too..
If you have a case manager, they can access your child for groups that suit him.
Good luck.

Giggle Squirt
11-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Wel are waiting for an Ot through childrens rehab. His doc gave us some suggestions to start.

bluekrissyspikes
11-12-2010, 09:31 PM
i don't get it. why did childrens rehab refer us to cla and they are helping you when our kids have the same kind of problems? can you please share some info on the sensory diet with me giggles? we are having a really hard time right now. i wish there was a special school here that could be of more help like some other places have. my poor little guy is mainstreamed and we were called into school for a review and he is not learning anything and basically that they let him do whatever he wants to all day so he doesn't freak out. i know they are doing their best because nothing works with him that we have found so far so pretty much his ea just follows him around all day trying to keep him from hurting himself and other people and he's not accomplishing anything.