PDA

View Full Version : Compost toilets and flying insects. Need help.

gouligann
08-05-2007, 01:44 PM
We have friends with a compost toilet inside their cottage, and wonder why they keep getting bugs/flying insects, ((especially in their bathroom))
They follow the directions to usage to a "t" (add peat moss, run the fan, etc)

Anyone else have this problem, and what did you do to get rid of them? They've tried spraying in and around the toilet with Raid, and some other recommended commercial spray, but still the buggers keep coming back.

kitca
08-06-2007, 08:07 PM
our friends had no trouble at all with theirs, they loved it and told everyone how wonderful it was. (im sure the toilet is still wonderful, but the couple is no more a couple, that is why i typed in past tense)

gouligann
08-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Oh kitca, we love ours too, just don't love the critters that fly along with it. lol

kitca
08-08-2007, 08:47 PM
ya, that does sound gross eh! youll have to let us know if and when you do find out about getting rid of the flying wee-ones.

gouligann
08-10-2007, 01:31 PM
I GOT THESE REPLIES OUT OF ANOTHER FORUM:

I remember finding on Sunmar's website an article about these fleas and I have had to deal with them once a year ussually. Sunmar first of all reccomends not using cheap peatmoss that can contain these fleas. But if peat is good, then the fleas can be fought off with Diazanon......a bug chemical found at most Gardening shops.

I use a 10 to 1 ratio (water is 10) in a spray bottle and light spray the peat in the toilet, turning the toilet to get the diazanon thruout the peat.
I then cover the toilet seat with saran wrap overnight and the flies will be gone by morning. the diazanon will not effect the composting as long as you do not go over board with it. (Slightly wet it)

Second reply said:
i have a sun mar central unit and was told that if there are insects, its not wet enough...cut down on the amount of peat moss you use.....

WHO KNOWS WHO'S RIGHT?

Saultitis
08-12-2007, 11:09 AM
FYI: Diazanon is banned from use in Canada and for good reasons.
Its usage is extremely hazardous to human health, wildlife and aquatic species and it seriously pollutes water.

here's a link to a petition in the US to stop the use (and why):
http://www.progsec.org/DynMenu/DynMenu.php?Table=LetterControlRetired&Page=Diazanon1___________

gouligann
08-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Yikes! I wouldn't even think about using that stuff.