PDA

View Full Version : Hockey needs an overhaul

R W G R
01-06-2011, 08:17 PM
A December report in the Hockey News suggesting 30,000 fewer Canadians will play the game in the next five years attests to this declining enrolment. Any other business/industry experiencing such a large decline in market share would either be bankrupt or on the verge of bankruptcy. As this pool of talent continues to dwindle, it will have a serious impact on the quality and talent level of those who will go on to represent Canada internationally, to the disappointment of Canadians.

There were 195,000 players registered with USA Hockey in 1990-91. In 2009, that number was 466,000. This number will continue to grow as the game expands to non-traditional hockey markets. Players from 13 states were current members of the U.S. junior team in Buffalo. A larger player pool does not automatically produce better players, but it helps.

Looking south, the U.S. system and players are better today than they have ever been. Their Program of Excellence has more elite athletes playing the sport. Their centralized program has especially helped the U. S, and particularly at the under-18 level. This program is complemented by the explosion of hockey in American universities and colleges, where now more than 50 institutions play division-one hockey.

It should be noted that of the 23 players on the U.S. silver medal winning team at the Vancouver Olympics, 18 were products of American universities. We have no comparable development programs in this country. Our system is built on and caters exclusively to the Canadian Hockey League, and its member teams, which are, in effect, commercial entities.

I hope it is not too late to change direction and save the game of hockey in Canada, which has such strong historical and cultural roots. A major overhaul is needed and soon. Is Hockey Canada and the hockey establishment up to this challenge?

We have so much to learn from the Americans. Will we?

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Hockey+needs+overhaul/4067037/story.html#ixzz1AJt2cfi4

Huggy85
01-06-2011, 10:13 PM
A December report in the Hockey News suggesting 30,000 fewer Canadians will play the game in the next five years attests to this declining enrolment. Any other business/industry experiencing such a large decline in market share would either be bankrupt or on the verge of bankruptcy. As this pool of talent continues to dwindle, it will have a serious impact on the quality and talent level of those who will go on to represent Canada internationally, to the disappointment of Canadians.

There were 195,000 players registered with USA Hockey in 1990-91. In 2009, that number was 466,000. This number will continue to grow as the game expands to non-traditional hockey markets. Players from 13 states were current members of the U.S. junior team in Buffalo. A larger player pool does not automatically produce better players, but it helps.

Looking south, the U.S. system and players are better today than they have ever been. Their Program of Excellence has more elite athletes playing the sport. Their centralized program has especially helped the U. S, and particularly at the under-18 level. This program is complemented by the explosion of hockey in American universities and colleges, where now more than 50 institutions play division-one hockey.

It should be noted that of the 23 players on the U.S. silver medal winning team at the Vancouver Olympics, 18 were products of American universities. We have no comparable development programs in this country. Our system is built on and caters exclusively to the Canadian Hockey League, and its member teams, which are, in effect, commercial entities.

I hope it is not too late to change direction and save the game of hockey in Canada, which has such strong historical and cultural roots. A major overhaul is needed and soon. Is Hockey Canada and the hockey establishment up to this challenge?

We have so much to learn from the Americans. Will we?

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Hockey+needs+overhaul/4067037/story.html#ixzz1AJt2cfi4

Your Canada obsession is really getting bad again. Take your meds......

Jack Butler
01-07-2011, 07:26 AM

Ha, ha, ha.... some Canadians go pro at 18 years old and many more before 20.
Kinda hard to fit university in wouldn't you think?
School is there for those that don't make it through the CHL.
Of the 18, how many will make the NHL?
It's like some people don't know what they are commenting on.
It is interesting that the Gretzky effect was even bigger this year!

Jack Butler
01-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Emile Therien,

Ottawa

Read more Letters to the Editor here.

AHA, HA, HA, HA...that was a letter to the editor!!
Winger is quoting Emile Therien!
Thank you for that, you have made my day!!

Jack Butler
01-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Maybe this is your chum?
37 points in 3 seasons, that's impressive!
If you notice, 2 of his teamates continued after that level!
Did I say thanks for this?
I mean, I had a good laugh over this!
You always pick the best articles...ha, ha!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=43975

R W G R
01-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Your Canada obsession is really getting bad again. Take your meds......

Are you talking to the Canadian that wrote that piece?

R W G R
01-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Emile Therien,

Ottawa

Read more Letters to the Editor here.

AHA, HA, HA, HA...that was a letter to the editor!!
Winger is quoting Emile Therien!
Thank you for that, you have made my day!!

He has an opinion. An educated one, as you can see.

riggs
01-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Take your meds......

I'm afraid if he did, he wouldn't be as entertaining.

Jack Butler
01-07-2011, 07:32 PM
He has an opinion. An educated one, as you can see.

What was his major, cause it wasn't hockey!
37 points in 3 years...how would he know?

R W G R
01-07-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm afraid if he did, he wouldn't be as entertaining.

Riggs, like Huggy, follows me around.

This is both creepy and humbling.

R W G R
01-07-2011, 07:34 PM
What was his major, cause it wasn't hockey!
How would he know?

They guy had more facts in one sentence than you've had in almost 6,000 posts, Jack!

Well...I mean, not that doing such a thing is difficult ...but still.

Jack Butler
01-07-2011, 07:35 PM
You say!

R W G R
01-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Hoooga Booooga!!!!!!

Jack Butler
01-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Hoooga Booooga!!!!!!

Best post so far!
At least you didn't have to lie to make your point.

R W G R
01-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Best post so far!
At least you didn't have to lie to make your point.

Heeeeegy Beeeegyy!!!!

Jack Butler
01-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Your Mom would be proud.

R W G R
01-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Your Mom would be proud.

As your is

riggs
01-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Your Mom would be proud.

That I doubt.

R W G R
01-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Well, boys, it's been fun. Time to go watch a little hockey before the Wings come on.

Hopefully no team surrenders five goals in the third period. That would SUCK!

:)

riggs
01-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Well, boys, it's been fun. Time to go watch a little hockey before the Wings come on.

Hopefully no team surrenders five goals in the third period. That would SUCK!

:)

TRANSLATION ................ I've been beat like a red headed step child

Jack Butler
01-07-2011, 08:00 PM
As your is

She doesn't know you.

Jack Butler
01-07-2011, 08:01 PM
TRANSLATION ................ I've been beat like a red headed step child

Maybe when he comes to, his clothes will be in style?

riggs
01-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Maybe when he comes to, his clothes will be in style?

Providing it's red and white, it's all good.

R W G R
01-08-2011, 01:46 PM
She doesn't know you.

Jack, we need to talk ...

Jack Butler
01-08-2011, 01:58 PM
What, and listen to more chirping?
You really have slide.

R W G R
01-08-2011, 01:59 PM
You really have slide.

???