PDA

View Full Version : What should I buy?????

IMHO
01-06-2011, 11:39 PM
My 10 year old tower powered computer is in need of replacemet. I am thinking laptop this time. However...there is a lot of hype out there about the new smaller versions like the "pads". I want something that will allow me to surf the net, watch youtube videos and do email. I would prefer wireless(I think). What would you buy and where is a good place to buy it? Thank you in advance.

8th
01-07-2011, 03:56 AM
get a new tower

DeleteAccout
01-08-2011, 02:42 PM
The iPad and Samsung Tab and other alike are pretty interesting. They are definately an ideal choice if all you want to do is suft the net, watch youtube videos and skim emails. If that's all you'll ever really do on it, get a tablet. However, if there's any chance you're going to do anything more, using a tablet gets annoying quite quickly. It's like a really small and light laptop that's significantly more fragile. Personally I like them for the ebook option. Keep it on your bedside table, read a book without paying 35$-40$.

My personal opinion, go to Futureshop and look at the Samsung Galaxy Tab they have on display(I think it's still there). If you like it, get it. They're not terribly expensive. They're approximately 400-550$ on a 3 year plan with Rogers/Bell/whomever.The iPad 549.99 to 879.99 with no plan being required. You pay for the Wi-Fi, 3G and HDD space.

Hans
01-08-2011, 04:02 PM
I would get a laptop for that price. You can do more with a laptop, much more.

DeleteAccout
01-09-2011, 12:03 PM
I agree completely. Laptop ( Even a tablet if you like the idea of a "Pad". However in terms of weight, portability and style, Tablets are fun to play with. If all you want to do is browse the web tablets are fine. However that's pretty much all you can do.

Scoff
01-13-2011, 12:11 PM
The intrigue of the Tab wore off quickly for me ... thank God I had a friend's that I borrowed first.

I would go laptop as well for what you want.

SSMP
01-17-2011, 10:21 AM
You could always go this way, best of both worlds

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-duo/pd

Hans
01-17-2011, 06:51 PM
They look to me like they could get damaged very fast. Not much holding that screen in place when you rotate it like that.

Ebantis
01-20-2011, 05:03 PM
I would get a laptop for that price. You can do more with a laptop, much more.

I agree and disagree. I agree with the fact that laptops are better than the ipads and tabs because you can do much more with a laptop than you can do with those. On the other hand, I don't like laptops at all because you can do so much more with a desktop than you can with a laptop.

I would chose to get a desktop rather than a laptop because you can upgrade your desktop a lot easier than you can a laptop and you have more power with a desktop.

BUT..... if you want something small, portable and ready to use and wireless, then a laptop is the way to go if your not planning on any high end gaming. Research your laptop you are planning on buying. some have onboard wireless card problems with the newer models and some have power issues. be sure that you are fully aware of what you are getting.