PDA

View Full Version : Ode to Canadian WJC fans

Huggy85
01-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Kelly: Canadian world junior fans criticized in Buffalo

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/919250--kelly-canadian-world-junior-fans-criticized-in-buffalo?bn=1

It’s a week after Canada left, and Buffalo is only now feeling safe enough to begin unboarding the windows and crawling out of the basement.

That’s the impression left in an out-of-left-field attack on Canadian honour by a columnist at the Buffalo News.

In purple tones, the piece – entitled “Disillusioned by Northern Neighbours” – paints Canadian fans as bunch of boozed-up hooligans who streamed over the border like the Visigoths advancing on Rome.

Among the damning criticisms: we jaywalk; we say “eh”; we like to take a drink; the Rogers Centre is ugly; we tip only two bucks on a $25 bar tab; someone punched someone else at a game.

Oh, Buffalo. We rescued your tournament from local apathy and crushing irrelevance and this is the thanks we get?

A visiting Swedish writer likened the city to something out of “28 Days Later (minus all the zombies).”

One of your own players – Ducks prospect and Team U.S.A. forward Emerson Etem – called Buffalo a “ghost town” and “the worst city ever.”

And you’re angry at us? Seriously?

What’d we do to get you so hysterical?

It is true that we showed up, injected hundreds of thousands of muscular Canadian dollars into your threadbare economy and rooted for our team. We’ll admit that.

We’re sorry. That was pretty awful.

There might have been a drunken incident or six. That’s possible. Since the end zone seats at a Bills home game generally resemble a Hieronymous Bosch painting, we thought you embraced that sort of high-spirited fun. That was foolish of us.

Are you hurt? Show us where it hurts. Because we’d like to kick it all better.

The most grating thing about the ad hominem broadside is not that Buffalo (or, at least, one writer from Buffalo and a couple of anonymous bartenders) doesn’t like us any more.

It’s that we’re stood up beside the groaning American stereotype of Canadians and then judged unworthy by comparison.

“I think we saw a different side of the normally placid, polite, patient, good neighbours we thought we knew,” the News’ Donn Esmonde writes, possibly while shorting out the keyboard with his bitter tears.

Yes (sigh) that’s us. Canada – the world’s agreeable doormat. I urge Americans who labour under this delusion to test its truth in a bar in Rimouski or Saint John or Hamilton. Remember, our medical care is universal. Our dentistry is not. So bring cash.

If any good can come out of this, it’s the death of the idea of the Polite Canadian in at least one American city.

For going on a century, we’ve put up with your jingoism and your insularity and your shocking ignorance of the world outside your borders. Yes, you won the Cold War. Yes, your economy is the foundation for our own. We can only say ‘Thank you’ so many times.

It’s become globally fashionable to kick uppity Canada lately. We took a hellacious amount of stick during the Vancouver Olympics for our Own the Podium imitative. Some people – notably Brits, Russians and a few cranky Americans – were put out that we got excited when we won.

If that’s a problem, then sadly, it’s your problem.

We’ve all taken a vote up here and we’ve decided that, in one sphere of life at least, we’re not going to play nice any more. That’s hockey.

Twelve years ago, after missing a pair of hockey golds in Nagano, we were in the midst of a cringingly Canadian crisis of confidence.

What changed?

The players didn’t get any better. The players have always been the world’s best.

The attitude changed. We collectively decided that while there is no shame in finishing second, it should not be a pre-tournament objective. This is Canada. We own this game.

We carry that feeling around with us now, like the statement of fact that it is. It’s no coincidence that in the decade since, we’ve enjoyed a level of unparalleled international success.

Maybe that’s what bothered you so much, Buffalo. As Americans, you’re not used to feeling overshadowed or overmatched. Which is funny. Since that’s something you taught us.

responding to.....

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/columns/donn-esmonde/article307005.ece

Jack Butler
01-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Oh, Buffalo.
We rescued your tournament from local apathy and crushing irrelevance and this is the thanks we get?

I don't know who Cathal Kelly is, but I like his style!
Great post Huggy...nice find!

riggs
01-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Some people – notably Brits, Russians and a few cranky Americans – were put out that we got excited when we won.

If that’s a problem, then sadly, it’s your problem.

Great piece Huggy.

Super Gram
01-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Oh, Buffalo. We rescued your tournament from local apathy and crushing irrelevance and this is the thanks we get?

I guess we won't do it anymore lol

Good story Huggy

R W G R
01-12-2011, 05:01 PM
I guess we won't do it anymore lol

I hope Buffalo survives from being unable to host a tournament no one cares about.

R W G R
01-12-2011, 05:02 PM
On another thread:

Hopefully your voice of reason can put this whole subject to bed, Oscar.

Hypocrisy, thy name is Huggy

Huggy85
01-12-2011, 06:17 PM
On another thread:

Hypocrisy, thy name is Huggy

Sorry, but this thread was not about "the" game. It was about an editorial about the Canadian fans written in an American newspaper. Different subject entirely.

R W G R
01-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Sorry, but this thread was not about "the" game. It was about an editorial about the Canadian fans written in an American newspaper. Different subject entirely.

Right. A story about the WJC is not the same as a story about the WJC.

Brilliant, Inspector!

Jack Butler
01-12-2011, 07:32 PM
You don't see the difference?
Hmm...but you can find a spelling mistake!
...kinda useless at comprehension?

Super Gram
01-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Thats ok, let him think it over for awhile.

RWGR
01-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Thats ok, let him think it over for awhile.

Much like you'll 'think' about The Collapse for a while? :)

Huggy85
01-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Much like you'll 'think' about The Collapse for a while? :)

Seems to be something you "think" about more than anyone else. Hasn't been mentioned either here or in the media for many days.

RWGR
01-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Seems to be something you "think" about more than anyone else. Hasn't been mentioned either here or in the media for many days.

You're not mentioning it while sitting in a corner, rocking back-n-forth and sucking your thumb.

Still not healthy. :)

Huggy85
01-16-2011, 01:34 PM
You're not mentioning it while sitting in a corner, rocking back-n-forth and sucking your thumb.

For some reason I keep trying to treat you with the respect worthy of the average adult. Childish posts like this, however, make that really hard to do.

Jack Butler
01-16-2011, 01:58 PM

You know the position well because of usa hockey's mediocrity, I'm sure!
We crack the whip, you do the trip...just like always!
What's not healthy is a wannabe like you, trying to make something out of nothing that is usa hockey.

RWGR
01-16-2011, 02:42 PM
You know the position well because of usa hockey's mediocrity, I'm sure!
We crack the whip, you do the trip...just like always!
What's not healthy is a wannabe like you, trying to make something out of nothing that is usa hockey.

Olympic Gold Medals since 1960

Canada: 2
USA: 2

WJC Gold Medals since 2010

Canada: 0
USA: 1

We win :)

RWGR
01-16-2011, 02:43 PM
For some reason I keep trying to treat you with the respect worthy of the average adult.

Googling news stories that shine a negative light on the US is not the actions of an adult, Hugster.

Huggy85
01-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Googling news stories that shine a negative light on the US is not the actions of an adult, Hugster.

Yet I suspect that googling news stories that shine a negative light on Canada is? Take a look at all the newly started threads in politics in the past 2 days and note who's been doing all the googling!

Huggy85
01-16-2011, 03:18 PM

I can't get over how ridiculous this comment sounds coming from you, RW. With your obsession with linking to every article you can possibly find to say something negative about Canada, it's not even an issue of maturity. It sounds more like a illness!

Jack Butler
01-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Olympic Gold Medals since 1960

Canada: 2
USA: 2

WJC Gold Medals since 2010

Canada: 0
USA: 1

We win :)

Why do you always miss so many?
Do you only have like half the internet?
...cause if you're paying full price and that's all you can find....I'd want my money back!
You win at football...that's it, football!

Super Gram
01-23-2011, 07:29 AM
I have learned over time to just ignore RW and not answer him. The answering is where he gets his kicks.

riggs
01-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Come on now people, RW has a passion for hockey not shared by his fellow country men. Hockey is only appreciated in small pockets throughout America which is why they have got their behinds kicked more times than they can remember. Besides, it's kinda cute they're trying to be like Canada in hockey. America always claims to be the best and we know they'll continue to use our leagues to develop and copy our systems in an attempt to get there...............I mean, it couldn't happen any other way, could it?

Oscar_Leroy
01-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Umm.. Us Americans are responsible for the Mighty Ducks Movies, which might just be the best (and only) hockey movie trilogy. So bottom line, if you see a knuckle puck, the bash brothers, or even the odd inspirational changing of the jerseys before the third period in hopes of mounting a dramatic comeback, just remember... That was all USA inspired.

Seriously though, I get what you are saying when you say that Americans have more or less emulated the Canadian hockey development system, but to properly implement any kind of a nationwide development system does require talent and dedication, so I think while Canada does deserve credit for the development and sustainability of hockey, USA deserves some credit for hopping on board and implementing a similar system so well that they have given Canadians a run for their money lately.