PDA

View Full Version : Hounds fire Denny Lambert

Jack Butler
01-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Torrie will coach the team for the remainder of the Ontario Hockey League season.

http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2923204

riggs
01-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Torrie dodges another bullet.

Super Gram
01-11-2011, 04:22 PM
I woinder when Lou will stop listening to Torrie

MagicFingers
01-11-2011, 09:22 PM
I don't remember Torrie or anyone stating he WILL coach the remainder of the year but understood it to be Coach until a replacement is found although granted there is little talk as of right now to find that replacement.

I think this was a desperate move on Torries part to make that change to try and save his job. Poop runs down hill only problem is it starts to pile up and at this rate torrie is already neck deep in it. Lukenda once stated that Torries contract was for this season and next however sometime between yesterday and today he has reported stated that Torries contract is up the end of this season. So who knows what will happen.

I think the bigger problem was Torrie not Lambert but time will tell.

Jack Butler
01-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Torrie will coach the team for the remainder of the Ontario Hockey League season.

I could be wrong but, I see one guy replacing both of them.
When people said "they have to blow it up", they got what they wanted!
I doubt as a result Torrie will be back next year.

MagicFingers
01-12-2011, 11:24 AM
I know a lot about hockey but what I don't know is ...... is it common for the GM and the coach to be one in the same? how many other teams havea GM for a coach and a coach for a GM and wouldn't this also be a conflict of interest. GM is more concerned about how things are running and the almighty dollar..budgets and such while the Coach should have the team and players best interest? Would that not be a conflict.

riggs
01-12-2011, 12:26 PM
I could be wrong but, I see one guy replacing both of them.
When people said "they have to blow it up", they got what they wanted!
I doubt as a result Torrie will be back next year.

That would depend on how strong the relationship is between Torre and Tim Lukenda. (which up to this point has been a healthy buffer in Torre's favor)

I would however like to see Teddy back behind the bench because of his ability to motivate a young club.

Jack Butler
01-12-2011, 02:10 PM
I know a lot about hockey but what I don't know is ...... is it common for the GM and the coach to be one in the same? how many other teams havea GM for a coach and a coach for a GM and wouldn't this also be a conflict of interest. GM is more concerned about how things are running and the almighty dollar..budgets and such while the Coach should have the team and players best interest? Would that not be a conflict.

Not at all. Coach/GM are more common than you think.
The GM finds the players that he thinks will help the coach in his style of play.
If they are not on the exact same page it doesn't work
Having a C/GM usually mean a higher caliber assistance coach as the added work for the C/GM would demand it.
There is a much bigger responsiblity, but some guys want that, they want to pick their own players.
I believe Nolan, Hartsberg both did it. Ottawa, Sudbury, Belleville, Mississauga and Niagra (off the top of my head) are all using C/GM right now.
I hope that helps.
It doesn't have to be. It's just that is the caliber of person they should be looking for!

MagicFingers
01-12-2011, 03:25 PM
You are right that is the caliber they should be looking for. Thanks for informing me on this I didn't realize so many were GM/C...it does make sense what you said about drafting and playing style and one being in the same. I know there is grumbling that Nolan should come back and be both, not sure how realistic it is although some people have stated that Nolan's current contract is open or he doesn't have one so he is able to come should they call or make him an offer.

Realistically as much as I would love that I can't see it happening. They still have to pay our Lambert so that is money lost....but then I doubt Lukenda is going to want to pay for a coach who isn't coaching and another coach so I think they are going to leave it as is so it doesn't cost more money. However I do think that is a bad move. And as much as I wanted change and thought Lambert wasn't a great coach I also think Torrie needs to go and perhaps he should have been the first to go. Unfortunately the noticeable mistakes made are the ones we see game in and game out by Lambert where the biggest mistakes are made behind the scenes by Torre. Again poop runs downhill.

Super Gram
01-14-2011, 12:06 AM
I hope you have noticed that Torries contract is up this year. The only team Torrie ever coached was a Junior B Team

No GOOD coaches are available at this time of year. I can't understand why they didn't let Denny finish out the year.

MagicFingers
01-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Torrie's desperation to keep his job. Not sure if his contract is up or if he will just be DONE.....Apparently at one point his contract wasn't up until the end of next season and then all of a sudden reports say it is up the end of this season. All in all I think he is finished the end of this season. According to papers and rumors They are discussing bringing Nolan in next season. Some are concerned they should bring him in now so he can get a head start on next season and for the draft but I suspect if rumours are true and he is coming back he is watching the players behind the scenes and making his own assessments early anyways.

Jack Butler
01-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Ted Nolan is not the answer every time a coach is needed somewhere.
Ted is a great man and a great coach, but I hope it's not him.
It's time to move on.

RWGR
01-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Ted is a great man and a great coach, but I hope it's not him.

Makes sense.