PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget......

Huggy85
01-14-2011, 11:32 PM
10 digit dialing starts in a half an hour. But until March 15 you may only get your call interrupted if you only dial 7 digits

10-digit local dialing starts in Ontario's 705 region on January 15, 2011

OTTAWA, Jan. 13 /CNW Telbec/ - Beginning January 15, 2011, residents of the region served by the 705 area code in Ontario will be required to dial 10 digits - the area code followed by the seven-digit phone number- for all local calls.

"10-digit dialing affects all residents and businesses in the region served by area code 705. It is important that everyone takes the time to reprogram their systems and communications equipment prior to January 15, 2011, in order to avoid any inconveniences that may be caused by the changes," stated Glenn Pilley, spokesperson for the Canadian Numbering Administrator.

Special numbers like 9-1-1 will still be dialed using three digits.

Programming communications systems and devices

Consumers and businesses must add the 705 area code to all local numbers stored in the memory of their communications systems and devices, for example, telephones, wireless devices, computers, and fax machines. They must also verify with their service provider that their alarm or security system has been reprogrammed for 10-digit dialing. Useful information can be found at www.dial10.ca

Network message

Starting January 15, 2011, local calls dialed with seven digits may be interrupted by a network message. The message reminds callers that they must dial 10 digits when making local calls. Calls will continue to go through until March 5, 2011, after which time seven-digit local calls will not be completed.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/January2011/13/c2232.html

HDV
01-15-2011, 09:57 AM
SO does this mean that in the sault if i call my mom who also lives in the sault,. I ll have to dial her area code? I just called out and did not have to dial the area code. I did not read all the article, maybe I should before I ask..lol

Kittie
01-15-2011, 10:02 AM
.. did not read all the article, maybe I should before I ask..

bang.

Huggy85
01-15-2011, 10:02 AM
SO does this mean that in the sault if i call my mom who also lives in the sault,. I ll have to dial her area code? I just called out and did not have to dial the area code. I did not read all the article, maybe I should before I ask..lol

Yeah, 7 digits still works, but you might get a message that you need to use 10. As of March 15, 7 digits won't work anymore.

Tutones
01-15-2011, 10:03 AM

Yes, you will have to dial the area code for all local calls. They are allowing some adjustment time for the change but after March 5th, calls that use only 7 digits will no longer be connected. The reason for the change is that they are adding a second area code for the 705 district because they are running out of phone numbers.

Barry Morris
01-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Got a speed dial button on your phone?? Program 705 into it.

HDV
01-15-2011, 10:44 AM
ahh i see i see. Why thank you. :)
So i guess you dont have to dial 1 first then.lol :)

RWGR
01-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Got a speed dial button on your phone?? Program 705 into it.

Good idea. You will save half of a second, maybe more.

01-15-2011, 11:14 AM
ahh i see i see. Why thank you. :)
So i guess you dont have to dial 1 first then.lol :)

Dialing 1 then area code then number, will be 11 digit dialing. They are only interesting in 10.