PDA

View Full Version : ear infection

kramer
01-16-2011, 07:42 PM
I beleive my dog has an ear infection and I won't be able to get her into the vet until atleast Friday. She has some drainage coming out and she is shaking her head alot.
Does anyone know of a home remedy?

alecat10
01-16-2011, 08:11 PM
My dog has similar. Because of the shape of his ears, they do not get to breath, and it gets hot, I suspect yeasty in there. Always shaking his head and full of black gunk. Vet looked at it, and not infected. I bought Vet's Best ear wash/dry at Pet Valu and use a cotton ball to remove excess gunk and moisture. Do not use a q tip, as could puncture ear drum. Slowly getting better. Could it be mites?

Luv'inLife
01-16-2011, 08:20 PM
sounds like mites, get some earwash/mite killer at the pet store [at least it will help until the vet check-up, they might flush her ears]

kramer
01-16-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm not familiar with what mites are...please give me a little detail.
Her ears are very red and she's loggy (just laying around)

Luv'inLife
01-16-2011, 08:33 PM
they are little tiny bugs...you will not see them, she will shake her head and probably look like black/reddish goop in them, try for tonight gently take a paper towel or tissue and dip it in oil[not lots] and using your finger, wrap the tissue around your finger and wipe inside her ears...if black dirt comes out, it is mites.

kramer
01-16-2011, 08:37 PM
ok thanks for the information. I was just looking on line as well. I will try your suggestion for tonight and call the vet in the morning.

Luv'inLife
01-16-2011, 08:39 PM
ok thanks for the information. I was just looking on line as well. I will try your suggestion for tonight and call the vet in the morning.

good luck, even if you get some out, it will give her some relief.

kramer
01-16-2011, 09:51 PM
We just cleaned her ears with a warm washcloth - nothing in one of them, but the other has some hard sticky stuff....brown crusty stuff.
I've been on line reading things and it's obvious to me that she needs to see a vet. I sure hope I can get an appointment soon.

Luv'inLife
01-16-2011, 09:55 PM
We just cleaned her ears with a warm washcloth - nothing in one of them, but the other has some hard sticky stuff....brown crusty stuff.
I've been on line reading things and it's obvious to me that she needs to see a vet. I sure hope I can get an appointment soon.

yes a vet check is a smart move...keep me posted, poor girl.

Joy.D
01-17-2011, 12:27 AM
If she has drainage I would not be putting anything into her ears!!!! Wait to see the vet. If she has an infection and you put stuff in there you could be making it worse. Just wipe it out with a warm wash cloth and keep her comfortable until you can get her into the vet. Hard sticky brown crusty stuff could be dried up blood and ooze from infection. It doesn't sound like mites to me. Stress to the vet that she is very Lethargic or Loggy as you put it. It is very important and they may get you in sooner.

Luv'inLife
01-17-2011, 12:42 AM
If she has drainage I would not be putting anything into her ears!!!! Wait to see the vet. If she has an infection and you put stuff in there you could be making it worse. Just wipe it out with a warm wash cloth and keep her comfortable until you can get her into the vet. Hard sticky brown crusty stuff could be dried up blood and ooze from infection. It doesn't sound like mites to me. Stress to the vet that she is very Lethargic or Loggy as you put it. It is very important and they may get you in sooner.

I think this has already been determined...just a washcloth was used and the vet will be called in the morning...

kitca
01-17-2011, 09:15 AM
this is just a F.Y.I. for anyone reading this post. a vet told me that cats and dogs do not get ear wax like we humans do, their ears should always be pink and clean. if they look dirty or waxy then its usually ear mites - which are very very common.

you will have to keep us informed about your little guy and what was going on with that ear.

TPK
01-17-2011, 10:00 AM
My dog has messed up pH in her one ear and the vet told me to use warm water and vinegar 3:1 ratio. When you do go to the vets ask if this would help for your dog too.

kramer
01-17-2011, 05:17 PM
I called the vet first thing this morning and got my dog in.
After a thorough exam and an ear swab and cleaning, she was diagnosed with a bacterial ear infection.
Vet gave us prednisone and novo lexin.

I gave her the pills as soon as I got home.
She should feel back to her old self in a couple of days.

kitca
01-17-2011, 05:38 PM
glad to hear she will be feeling better soon.

Luv'inLife
01-17-2011, 06:17 PM
glad you got her in so quick and everything is taken care of.