PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant

DeleteAccout
01-19-2011, 10:26 PM
So I picked one of these up last night after reading 150+ reviews. Not even 24 hours later, I've broken it haha.

It came with Android Eclair (2.1) and I updated it to Froyo (2.2). Since then, my Google Navigator doesn't work, the phone seems ... sluggish. I want to revert back to 2.1 and see if that fixes my problem but I keep hearing that I need to root it or something and to revert BACK to 2.1 ... I need the phone to be unlocked?

Any android fanboys able to confirm/deny?

Miles From Nowhere
01-20-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm assuming that your phone is one of the original build models (prior to 10.11) because you said you had to upgrade to Froyo yourself. Samsung used substandard hardware in the premier release of the Galaxy and something in the Bell 2.2 update has been stressing the internal memory to the point of irreparable failure. It sounds to me like your phone will eventually brick. Bell recognizes this problem and have been replacing the bricked handsets with the newer build model and a stable Froyo already installed but they won't replace it until it bricks. My old Galaxy bricked on me Christmas Eve after I updated to a 2.2 that Bell quickly pulled from it's website as Galaxy's began bricking by the thousands. If you got your phone from Bell or a reseller, I wouldn't recommend rooting it and trying to revert back to 2.1. Bell may not honour the replacement if they determine that you've rooted the phone. Besides, the damage may already be done and your phone will inevitably brick anyway. I was under the impression that all older build models were immediately pulled from the shelves but I guess there are still some stores trying to unload old stock (which is probably against Bells directive). This phone, when it's working properly, kicks a$$ and nothing on the Canadian market comes close to what this phone can do. I had some tense moments and hurdles but I now have a newer build model that came with Froyo already installed and it's all good for me now. What build model do you have, Duffy?

DeleteAccout
01-21-2011, 01:28 AM
I have th GT-i9000 from Virgin Mobile. Came stock with Eclair 2.1 and I did the update manually via Samsung Kies. I spoke with Wireless Wave, the people I bought it from, and they won't exhange it until something happens to it. Virgin said they's replace it if it were to bugger up but I didn't end up calling the techies today to explain my issue. Basically all that's really going wrong is the GPS is not shoing my location to well (off by about 500-600 yards) and the phone itself is a little laggier than it was with 2.1. Wireless wave said that the GPS on these phones is crap anyways, and that I'd be getting nailed with data charged if I used it regardless. I on;y have 1gb or data so he advised I just leave it alone. So, I'll do that.

If my phone bricks, I'll be SO upset. My internal memory is about 3/4 full all the time too. It's annoying.

Miles From Nowhere
01-21-2011, 11:08 AM
I was just wondering if your build model is the one with the newer hardware or not. Look under the battery. What is the date code at the bottom? If it's 10.11 or later, you might be alright. The update you got through Kies the other day is the stable update and if your build model is newer, your phone might not brick. The GPS is not crap, it was the software that powered the GPS that was faulty but that was supposed to be fixed in 2.2 My GPS is bang on within less than 10 meters. That alone might warrant a repair for your phone. If they still refuse to repair, you might want to try to install the one click lag fix apk. Get the SuperOneClick program for your PC to root Froyo. That might fix your GPS issue.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=784691 One Click Lag Fix

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682 SuperOneClick

DeleteAccout
01-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Well the date code @ the bottom is 10.10 so it's the first gen I imagine?

Anyhoo, as per the GPS, mine was working flawlessly like your (within 10 meters or less) on eclair, but in 2.2 Froyo it seemed to be off by a wee little bit. It sucks too that y signal strength is dwindling lower than in 2.1 too. I don't understand why but it does. Perhaps it's just a bug. Last night my phone went into Roaming Mode and I live on MacDonald avenue so ... clearly I'm not jumping to the US networks.

I'll be calling Virgin later today and speaking with the techies. I don't have a problem rooting the phone and reverting back to 2.1, but I really don't want to void my warranty. I was told that I can un-root prior to sending it away should I need to mail it out and they can't trace it but, I don't know a thing about Android and refuse to bugger up a 500$ phone

As per this "bricking" stuff ... pretty big deal huh? Is there any way I can confirm this happening with 2.2 on 10.10 and younger phones? If I can get proof of this happening to Wireless Wave they may just replace it for me based on that alone.

Miles From Nowhere
01-21-2011, 01:11 PM
BTW, if you want to venture into the world of firmware flashing (I personally have never attempted this, only root) this is the major player in that area.
http://www.samfirmware.com/

Miles From Nowhere
01-21-2011, 01:13 PM
This a great resource link for most Bell Galaxy issues. There is a poll in one of the links that shows the phones that are bricking and what they are running.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=886158

BAILEYDOG
01-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Miles I am picking a new phone for my wife and have it down to a Galaxy S, an Iphone and a Torch. U say the galaxy is the best, what makes it the best ? what can it do that the others can't(or do better) I am leaning toward it becasue of the reviews but don't know anyone that has one so can't play with it. She is looking for a multi media phone with the availability to play on the internet. Let me know what u think.

Miles From Nowhere
01-22-2011, 02:30 PM
I was never a Blackberry fan, not big on the operating system. Although the Torch uses a new version of the Blackberry OS, I found it a bit to limited for my liking. I've never used an iPhone so I can't really comment on it except to say I've heard that if you get it through Bell and have issues with it, Bell will not touch it and will refer you to Apple support but I could be wrong. The Galaxy runs the Android operating system which I like the most (exception being Palm's WebOs but the Pre itself is junk). The Galaxy has a slightly larger screen than the iphone and the Blackberry and the Gorilla Glass is almost indestructable. The AMOLED screen gives you ultra high resolution graphics so the internet browsing is terrific. Androids Swype feature makes typing a breeze as the keyboard is virtual and you can simply "swype" your finger from one letter to another and the word appears. The Blackberry's hardware keyboard means more key "plucking". Try them all first but if you settle on the Galaxy, make sure the build model is 10.11 or later (behind the battery, have the salesperson pull it for you) and the android version is 2.2 build JL2. Very important with all the problems with the original release of the phone. Like I said, I can't really give an informed opinion about any of them except the Galaxy, the Blackberry is much more underpowered than the other 2 at 624 MHZ as opposed to the 1 GHZ processor of the other 2. I'm very happy with my Vibrant, with Opera mobile as my browser and Astro Player Nova as my primary media player I don't regret my decision one bit. Just remember to check build models if you decide on the Galaxy and don't hesitate to have them order you a newer build model if they don't have any in stock.

DeleteAccout
01-22-2011, 02:31 PM
The Torch is quite a good phone but the BlackBerry app store and the keyboard on it just don't do it for me. THe keys are hard to press for someone like myself who doesn't have long dainty lady fingers. If your wife does, she will not have a problem. I do however have to admit that the phone is very durable and even more so attractive. At 179.99 + a 3 year Term though ... I would expect more from it.

As per the iPhone 4 ... in my honest opinion, it's an overpriced phone. It's not nearly as good as they say that it is. Sure, it's an iPhone, sure it has Facetime(only useable via iPhone users) but so does the Galaxy S lineup (you can use it with anyone except Apple users I'm pretty sure). Add that to the hefty pricetag and you have yourself something that I wouldn't even thing twice about.

As per the Galaxy S, The screen is .5'' larger than the iPhone (4.0'' Super AMOLED Display) that's neither too large nor too small for the full touch QWERTY keyboard. The screen is composed of a product called "Gorilla Glass". For those who don't know what it is, it's pretty much the best screen in the world. It's almost completely scratch proof under normal circumstances. Keys, Nails, metal shards ... will not scratch the screen. Watching reviews on the screen, only thing that caused a scratch was an exacto knife, and even then ... it was slight. It's approx 118-119 grams so it's extremely light. It doesn't however feel "cheap" or "hollow". I am a smaller guy with smaller hands and it still fits perfectly in my palm. I can type in landscape AND portrait modes qith relative ease. The android market is a few steps behind the Apple market in terms of refinement since it has - or had - a little less money to throw at it ... but It's far from bad. I have found multiple widges and apps that I use daily. Speaking of downloads, the Galaxy S was the first phone I saw with "Live Walpapers". Since it's a touch screen phone, live wallpapers are interactable. Ponds with Koi fish swiming around (poke the glass and they'll scare off and swim like crazy), Snowfall scenes, Waterfall scenes, or my personal favorite ... storm clouds with lightning.

All in all, I've owned a multitude of electronics over the years. I have read hundreds of reviews on this phone alone. I do not spend this sort of money without first being informed as best I can be. I assure you if you get this phone, you will NOT be unhappy. It surpasses the iPhones with ease in my books.

PS. The price tag on a 16gb iPhone and the 16GB Galaxy S was a huge factor in swaying me. Apple doesn't understand value. They expect you to pay hundreds more just because it's an "Apple"

Miles From Nowhere
01-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Yeah, what Duffy said...lol.

DeleteAccout
01-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Oh Miles, I was finding apps used for overclocking the processors on the cells. Galaxy can be clocked at 1.2GHz. I'm tempted to try it.

Miles From Nowhere
01-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I saw those too but honestly, do you think you'll get that much more out of it with another 200 Mhz? Let me know if you o/c and if you notice a difference.

DeleteAccout
01-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Shall do boss.

DeleteAccout
01-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Alrighty so, I won't be overclocking my Galaxy S. Before I do it, I need to root my phone. I'd rather not risk blowing it up. Feel free to be the test dummy!

EDIT: Highest OC I've seen so far. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pga1cQQVXiQ

1.6GHz ....

BAILEYDOG
01-24-2011, 08:16 PM
where can i go to look at the available apps for this phone, also how hard is it to load movies on this phone?

DeleteAccout
01-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Well, this phone utilizes the Andriod Marketplace.

http://www.android.com/market/#app=com.joelapenna.foursquared

You can search the Apps there.

As per the movies, you just put them on a memory card like I do (16gb MicroSD) or you can load them on via the supplied USB cable onto the internal 16GB SD Memory. (Total of 32GB on my phone. Love it) I have noticed with my music that i don't need to place them in specific folders. Just load them on and the phone recognizes the extentions, and allows you to access them from the appropriate application.

If you are sincerely interested in this phone, you can go to Wireless Wave / Bell Store and look at it hands on ... or if you want another model (Captivate) you can go to Rogers. There's 4 phones in the Galaxy S lineup. Fascinate, Captivate, Vibrant and Epic4G. They're all the same but the Epic 4G has a keyboard. Same stats all around though. Just depends on the provider you want.

BAILEYDOG
01-25-2011, 05:10 PM
cool thanks for the link and the info, i have been to wireless wave store a couple of times but they are always busy with another customer, last time waited 30 min but had to leave before i could talk to them, I will try again soon though and now have more info in my arsenal to make my decision.

DeleteAccout
01-25-2011, 10:26 PM
:) Enjoy

DeleteAccout
01-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Well, you'll be happy to know that my phone died today haha. Totally went haywire. Menus froze, home button took photos, it was just sheer hell. Popped into Wireless Wave and got a replacement. I assure you, there'll be no more ungrading to Froyo !

PS, I got ANOTHER 10.10 model. Yay for me.

Miles From Nowhere
01-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Honestly, you should have called Bell Mobility directly. They would have shipped you a newer model with Froyo already on it. I got mine within 4 business days. Mine is still going strong. FYI, I got my original Galaxy at Wireless Wave here in Sudbury. I've dealt with Bell directly for the technical support.

Miles From Nowhere
01-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Also, if you would have called Bell they would have applied a $100 credit to your account (if you are on contract with them) if your phone was really bricked. I would still call Bell and b**** about getting another 10.10 POS.

DeleteAccout
01-29-2011, 01:12 PM
I'm not too concerned about it. I got a new phone (albeit 10.10 again) from them without much hassle. I've dealt with Wireless Wave in the past and they have come a long way in terms of customer assisstance. Anyways, I'm not with Bell, I'm with Virgin. It's a sister compay of Bell, but I need to deal with them directly. I'll just avoid updating to Froyo with this phone for a while. I'll speak with reps in a little while to see what I can and can't do with the phone in terms of software editing. It'd be nice to root/unlock the phone and paly with all the apps and custom things out there. I purchased an extra 1 year warranty for that reason alone. Really dislike warranties but I figured if I'm going to be tinkering with this original launch phone with the inferior hardware, it's going to happen again. This time, I'm prepared ;)