PDA

View Full Version : Students

Oscar_Leroy
01-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Just a quick question for the students out there.

What made you choose your area of study? Was it a decision based on a passion for the subject you chose to study, an interest that you decided to turn into a career, or something you considered a smart career choice?

For me, I originally chose to go to back to school out of interest, but found that I had a complete passion for a completely different topic, and that's why I am still in school.

I thought this was an interesting question to ask.

Amaranth
01-23-2011, 06:14 PM
I went back to school (after 20 years) because I wanted to work for more than minimum wage. I decided to become a Social Service Worker because I wanted to work with women and children who were abused and with people who struggle with addictions. I graduated, worked a little then decided I wanted to get my Bachelor's in Psychology so now I am currently going to Algoma University. I have decided I will probably work to get my Master's in Psychology since I had quite a few transfer credits toward my BA. I want to work with kids so most of the classes I have taken are related to the development of children, disorders, behaviour mod, etc.

Dragonfly
01-23-2011, 07:27 PM
I originally started college in another course and really hated it. After taking a psych. class I decided what I wanted to do and transferred to my current course because I want to work with high risk youth. When I am done this program next April, I go onto my BA in Social Work, and then it depends on if I get a job in the area that I want, but I may go onto MSW.

Oscar_Leroy
01-23-2011, 08:09 PM
That's cool. I'm actually a psychology major too. I did my first year at Algoma U and am now in southern Ontario working on my second year. I do intend on moving back to the Soo to complete my BA, though. When I was at AU one of my psyc profs mentioned something about AU working on an MA program in psyc, do you know if there is any truth to this at all?

Dragonfly
01-23-2011, 08:26 PM
I know we were just given the BSW finally as of this September, so maybe they really are working on getting some better, higher level courses offered here. I personally have not heard that, but maybe try calling AU and seeing if they can provide some input?? Would be nice if more students could start and finish their education locally, lets hope this is their aim.

Amaranth
01-23-2011, 08:47 PM
That's cool. I'm actually a psychology major too. I did my first year at Algoma U and am now in southern Ontario working on my second year. I do intend on moving back to the Soo to complete my BA, though. When I was at AU one of my psyc profs mentioned something about AU working on an MA program in psyc, do you know if there is any truth to this at all?

I am hoping it will be here in the next year or so. I was told it is a possibility. I had started out taking Psych and Social Welfare and got a few Social Welfare courses initially but didn't like them in comparison to the SSW classes I took at Sault College. I did hear from a professor that the MA might be available eventually and I am hoping sooner than later. If not, I will go away for the rest of my schooling. I have a year and a half left so I better decide where I will go to complete my degree if they don't offer it here lol.

Oscar_Leroy
01-23-2011, 09:24 PM
I am hoping it will be here in the next year or so. I was told it is a possibility. I had started out taking Psych and Social Welfare and got a few Social Welfare courses initially but didn't like them in comparison to the SSW classes I took at Sault College. I did hear from a professor that the MA might be available eventually and I am hoping sooner than later. If not, I will go away for the rest of my schooling. I have a year and a half left so I better decide where I will go to complete my degree if they don't offer it here lol.

It would be really cool if they got the MA program. Since you're further along than I am, I need to ask, is stats as scary as people make it out to be? I postponed taking it because math is not one of my stronger subjects.

Amaranth
01-23-2011, 09:30 PM
It would be really cool if they got the MA program. Since you're further along than I am, I need to ask, is stats as scary as people make it out to be? I postponed taking it because math is not one of my stronger subjects.

Math is not my strongest subject either and I did put it off for a bit. I just started it this semester and have had a few classes so far. I am not too sure about it just yet lol. I had a really hard time with Scientific Method and Analysis and I am scared Stats will be worse! Our prof says that as long as we can use a calculator it should be okay. It is basic algebra according to the text so I guess I will find out!

CANDY_74
01-23-2011, 09:54 PM
My daughter who is in Grade 11 went from last year wanting to do Social Services to totally wanting to be a Clinical Lab Technician :)

But I don't know if they have that here....we can only find info on it for the USA....

Super Gram
01-24-2011, 06:15 AM
I have 3 Gchildren, 2 of whom are not doing what they set out to do. One a BA in English Lit. at LSSU....now works with the diabled.......helping them to find a job. My other Gdaughter has her BA from AU in psychology. Wanted to go on but no school had the room. She now is training to manage a store called Aarons where she is now working here in the Sault. My Grandson has B sc in (can't remember the word) but is going on to be a physio therapist. If they accept him for this Sept year. He now is working labor to pay off his school loan. $800 a month.

IMHO
01-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Its time for many more students to select the TRADES. We will always need a plumber...electrician...heavy duty mechanic etc. This is where assured jobs are and will be for a long time to come. Too many parents want their kids to be doctors and lawyers and many of those students either cannot achieve that OR simply do not want to go that route.

kitca
01-24-2011, 10:36 AM
my friend is a job councellor and highly recommends the trades!

our daught is taking early childhood and hopes to go on to get her teachers and to be able to get a job through the new provincial full day JK that will be hiring early childhood graduates.

dancingqueen
01-24-2011, 12:17 PM

If you take it, I recommend here in town take it when Brodbeck is teaching it, he is awesome at teaching the material.
But it is not as bad as people make it out to be.

dancingqueen
01-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Getting my BA in psych as well. I don't have much faith in the social services field here in Canada, so I'm thinking of moving out of the country to complete my education.

Scoff
01-24-2011, 12:23 PM
1) Something you will enjoy
2) Know there are jobs in that field

That's why in 1998 I took Computer Programming.

I would have loved to be a Music teacher, Sound engineer or something involved in music however the success rate of landing a good paying job after school was pretty small. I wasn't going to risk it.

Oscar_Leroy
01-24-2011, 12:24 PM
If you take it, I recommend here in town take it when Brodbeck is teaching it, he is awesome at teaching the material.
But it is not as bad as people make it out to be.

I took one of my intro psyc classes with Brodbeck and he is a good teacher indeed. I enjoyed my time in his class, both because I really like the material, and because he usually makes class pretty entertaining. Good to know that it's not too bad, though.

I think Algoma U in general doesn't get enough credit for its teaching staff. My wife got her BA from Algoma U and has nothing but good things to say about the professors. I know I miss it there, and really look forward to returning sometime in the near future.

Scoff
01-25-2011, 11:25 AM
My other Gdaughter has her BA from AU in psychology. Wanted to go on but no school had the room. She now is training to manage a store called Aarons where she is now working here in the Sault.

Unfortunately, this is the result of most people who major in Psych. People spend a lot of money and time for 4 and 5 years to go to school only to get jilted in the end and have to work in another field. The BA does help though.

It's not right. If you know someone who wants to take it at University, try and talk them out of it unless they plan on taking it all the way.

dancingqueen
01-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Unfortunately, this is the result of most people who major in Psych. People spend a lot of money and time for 4 and 5 years to go to school only to get jilted in the end and have to work in another field. The BA does help though.

It's not right. If you know someone who wants to take it at University, try and talk them out of it unless they plan on taking it all the way.

Unless they plan on leaving the country. Canada is no place for anyone in a social science field.

Dragonfly
01-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Trades are all fine and dandy, I for one would lose a finger during the first shop class. Heck, I could probably even blow something up or lose a limb before any of us even turn on a machine. Trades are not for me. My other half is almost done the mechanical engineer course and I have seen his homework....not for me, not for me.

Stedmister
01-25-2011, 06:21 PM
1) Something you will enjoy
2) Know there are jobs in that field

That's why in 1998 I took Computer Programming.

I would have loved to be a Music teacher, Sound engineer or something involved in music however the success rate of landing a good paying job after school was pretty small. I wasn't going to risk it.

Follow your dream man, I am now studying Sound Editing in Toronto and couldn't be more happier, I do miss the Sault. Everything is contract now anyways.

A*lil*Loopy
01-26-2011, 05:40 PM
I'll answer on behalf of my son who already has done Mechanical Engineering for Manufacturing, and is now in Metal Fabrication. He may continue with Civil Engineering after wards to get as much learning in as possible in his chosen field.
He was driven to take on the path because he fell in love with it in high school. He came home with eyes lit up and told me he found it........what he wanted to do in life. I thought he was nuts and would get past it as many do but that was in Grade 10 and he can't seem to leave the torches alone.
It was fun and the teacher encouraged him which made a big difference. As parents we encouraged and made sure he had what he needed and never said a bad word about it. It was a way to express himself without being the same type of artsy as Mom as well.

When I went to college for art, I did it to further my career because I was passionate about it.