PDA

View Full Version : Why a no-pet rental clause is unenforceable

gouligann
01-24-2011, 07:27 AM
http://www.moneyville.ca/article/924116--why-a-no-pet-rental-clause-is-unenforceable

Peety
01-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Poor landlord.

TNT
01-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Poor landlord.

why poor landlord? its just info? is there a story I missed?

Peety
01-24-2011, 09:31 AM
why poor landlord? its just info? is there a story I missed?
You’ve rented your home out, and there’s a “no pets” clause in the lease. Tenants sign, and move in, and soon two big dogs are living there too. Can you do anything about it?

The landlord has no rights.
If I was to say no pets I mean no pets not 2 months later there are pets in my house, Is what I mean.

kitca
01-24-2011, 10:22 AM
the laws changed a couple of years back. it was discriminatory. like of like saying 'no catholics' or ' no french' or something like that you know.
some really really bad pet owners have really spoiled things.

Peety
01-24-2011, 10:25 AM
the laws changed a couple of years back. it was discriminatory. like of like saying 'no catholics' or ' no french' or something like that you know.
some really really bad pet owners have really spoiled things.

I know a lady with cats and they trashed the place.

TPK
01-24-2011, 10:34 AM
The only time you can say no pets is if you rent out part of your house and you're allergic...Then the landlord can kick you out. Bad pet owners ruin it for the rest of us.

kitca
01-24-2011, 11:38 AM
peety, it was the lady who allowed the cats to trash the place. pets can be trained, but its the owners who are bad!

Peety
01-24-2011, 11:55 AM
peety, it was the lady who allowed the cats to trash the place. pets can be trained, but its the owners who are bad!

I agree. Gross actually.. I feel bad for the lanlords,

Jst4u
01-24-2011, 06:18 PM
When I rented a basement apartment a few years ago they asked if I had any pets before I moved in. I said no...because I didn't. But I ended up having a free-range bunny and 13 rats in 4 huge cages in my room lol The landlord almost had a heart attack when they saw the cages...months after the fact. But there was no smell, no damage. Why shouldn't I be allowed to have them?

Right now, I'm in a one bedroom bachelor apartment with a 65lbs 6 month old Husky and a big cat. I feel bad for my current landlords lol But they don't care and my house is spotless so meh. I may tick some landlords off, but I'm not hurting anyone or damaging anything so I don't really care what they think, say or feel.

MagicFingers
01-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Honestly I have seen damage that pets have done to apartments. I really think that since landlords have to clean up afterwards and some and in some cases a lot of pet owners are not responsible that leaves a huge mess and destruction that comes out of the owners pockets. I think that if a no pet clause is not enforceable, they need to take another look at this and make a few changes....Either it is up to the landlords to allow pets and no it is not the same as discrimination against someone based on religion or ethnicity, religion and ethnicity isn't going to destroy the property....However is pets are on the premises than landlords should be able to charge a security deposit for damages this way at least some cost is covered if the people are not taking care of the premises. Personally I think security deposits should always be allowed. My parents own two apartment buildings and I go into the apartments to clean after the tenants have left and OMG how some people live I don't know. I spent an entire day washing floors, windows, and doors in one apartment and I used 12 buckets of water that was black because they never cleaned. A place should never be that dirty.

Dragonfly
01-24-2011, 08:41 PM
I have always been a pet owner and have always been more than willing to sign legal papers stating that any damaged incurred by my animals were to be paid by me. Why can't more places do that?

Peety
01-24-2011, 10:00 PM
When I rented a basement apartment a few years ago they asked if I had any pets before I moved in. I said no...because I didn't. But I ended up having a free-range bunny and 13 rats in 4 huge cages in my room lol The landlord almost had a heart attack when they saw the cages...months after the fact. But there was no smell, no damage. Why shouldn't I be allowed to have them?

Right now, I'm in a one bedroom bachelor apartment with a 65lbs 6 month old Husky and a big cat. I feel bad for my current landlords lol But they don't care and my house is spotless so meh. I may tick some landlords off, but I'm not hurting anyone or damaging anything so I don't really care what they think, say or feel.

A deal is a deal. How is it fair when it changed after?

bluekrissyspikes
01-24-2011, 10:38 PM
what difference does it make if the pets are not allowed to destroy the place. i have several pets and they aren't causing any damage so why should someone be able to tell me i can't have them? it's like saying you can't have kids in the house either. kids are far messier than pets are(at least mine are). if there is damage left behind the landlord has every right to go after the tenants for that. most pet owners are responsible enough to not allow things to get destroyed. yes, some people that have animals are gross and they let them mess the place up. some people who don't have animals are also gross and let the place get destroyed by their own mess and people like that will cause damage regardless of if there are animals involved or not.

Peety
01-24-2011, 10:44 PM
what difference does it make if the pets are not allowed to destroy the place. i have several pets and they aren't causing any damage so why should someone be able to tell me i can't have them? it's like saying you can't have kids in the house either. kids are far messier than pets are(at least mine are). if there is damage left behind the landlord has every right to go after the tenants for that. most pet owners are responsible enough to not allow things to get destroyed. yes, some people that have animals are gross and they let them mess the place up. some people who don't have animals are also gross and let the place get destroyed by their own mess and people like that will cause damage regardless of if there are animals involved or not.

What I am saying if the landlord says NO pets, it is what he wants.

bluekrissyspikes
01-25-2011, 12:00 AM
good thing it's illegal for them to say that then, cause it's certainly not fair.

gouligann
01-25-2011, 07:32 AM
We have numerous rental units (apartments and houses). Believe me, people don't need pets to live like total pigs. Pet's hair, urine and feces might add to the mess, but I've seen disgusting, filthy dirty messes where the tennants lived and they didn't have pets.

How about a basement floor completely covered, waist-high with soiled, moldy, stinking clothes that one tennant was too lazy to wash clothes? She just went down the basement and heaved them onto the (literally-eeek!) growing pile. Then sympathetic neighbors either donated clothes to her, (and her KID, the poor thing!), or she bought them each a new set of clothes with taxpayers $$. They wore them until they were filthy and repeated the process... We didn't know this was happening until she was evicted.

I'd rather deal with dog hair, a few piles of feces, and a chewed carpet, thank you.

Jst4u
01-25-2011, 07:55 AM
A deal is a deal. How is it fair when it changed after?

There was no deal. They only asked if I had any animals, I said no. I didn't sign anything saying that I could not bring animals in the apartment. Although, it was sort of implied with the question...

Let me tell you, my pets smelled WAAAY better than the smell that came out of my laundry room when someone took a crap in the bathroom in the upstairs apartment!

Peety
01-25-2011, 08:29 AM
good thing it's illegal for them to say that then, cause it's certainly not fair.

If the home owner does not want pets. it is fair. he owns the place.

TNT
01-25-2011, 09:45 AM
If the home owner does not want pets. it is fair. he owns the place.

I agree with this. I would be very upset if somone went against my wishes in my own property. Very disrespectful.
I couldnt imagine renting with my herd..lol. When Tink was a pup she was a landlords nightmare!! She was 10x worse than the movie marley and me.
She ate my deck, stair bannisters, well just say ALL things wooden. I wanted to kill her the first 2 yrs of her life. lol

MagicFingers
01-25-2011, 11:44 AM
By no means am I saying all animal owners don't take care of their animals. I have animals my parents have a dog and that is great but SOME people specially when renting are of the mentality that they don't care what happens to the property since it isn't theirs. And since my parents own two apartment buildings with 4 apartments in each and since they have owned it they have had 4 tenants move out....Only 1 tenant took care of the apartment the other three not so much and they didn't have animals, can only imagine what it would have been like if they left it a disaster without pets then what would it have been like with pets.

kitca
01-25-2011, 05:37 PM
i understand what you are all saying. but things have changed. the pets being similar to religion/ethnicity was explained to me when i was a landlord and the laws were changed. we also knew folks who lived in sudbury in an apartment that was set aside for seniors; along with the pets law came the rest of it that said you couldnt 'discriminate' against pets, children, age... ... unfortunatly the seniors apartment building soon became a mess where it used to be a 'community'. you are not allowed to advertise an apartment for rent with no kids - its discriminatory. you may not want kids, and have every right to not want kids around...

people of all race and ethnic groups, pet owners and non pet owners can be wonderful clean people or total pigs. we used to allow pets before the laws changed, and most of the time everything was good, but we sure had a few loosers too. but those loosers were loosers without the pets too - it wasnt just their pets that did the damage.