PDA

View Full Version : Question for VW owners

goodasgold
01-25-2011, 05:21 PM
I purchased a '10 VW jetta wagon in July '09. Three months after I got it, the brakes started squealing. Not constantly, but consistently. I called the dealership and they said it was normal. Well, I haven't done much about it, but it is really annoying. It happens during rain, snow, even when the roads are dry. So I took the car in today for an oil change (those sure are expensive) and asked again about the squealing. They say it happens because the brakes are no longer made with asbestos and it's the metal on metal that squeals. He says it happens once in awhile when the car is in a humid climate or roads are wet. I told him it happens more often then not. So they checked the brakes. Apparently my brakes are in almost new condition. Nothing wrong with them.

I have driven my brothers '10 VW Rabbit and haven't come across any squealing. I also have friends who say they don't have this problem. I actually was given a sheet from the service counter in regards to the issue and it states that all new cars with have this problem. Thanks to the new brakes. Yet I don't hear a bunch of cars squealing brakes, except for mine. So...am I the only one. Or does anyone else have this issue.

Anapeg
01-25-2011, 06:31 PM
I had a similar problem in my 3/4 ton Dodge and they told me to make a couple of panic stops. Very hard breaking. I have no clue why but it works. Something or other gets polished I believe. Don't try this without someone who knows telling you to but ask, it can't hurt.

NewCasa
01-25-2011, 09:21 PM
A little javex on the tires and apply the brakes and gas at the same time - hard.

(just kidding!)

_daynzy
01-26-2011, 07:26 AM
put on a set of ceramic pads?