PDA

View Full Version : Wwyd?

SarahMac
01-26-2011, 03:54 PM
My neighbours up the street just got an approximately 11-13 week old yellow lab (I estimate age, as we don't "know" the neighbours so to speak). I was outside shovelling our front drive, and noticed the puppy on their front porch tied up alone. It was whining and crying. I continued to shovel for about 40 minutes, in that time no one came out to check on the puppy, and it had no shelter for it. It looks to be a pretty long tie out 15 - 20 feet, and it did get itself tangled up on some items. My main concern that it was out there in the cold for at least 40 minutes by itself with no shelter. I realize it's only -5C but still.

Would you call the humane society, or what to see if the behaviour is repeated by the owners?

Dragonfly
01-26-2011, 04:52 PM
I would call them. They won't come and take the dog the first complaint anyways but at least there will be a prior report if it becomes a habit for them.

magic mushroom
01-26-2011, 04:52 PM
yes call the shelter
winter dangers from their site:
http://ssmhumanesociety.ca/hs_website_016.htm

"Canada's laws require that animals receive adequate shelter and care. Our investigators offer custodians advice for proper animal care; and if necessary, they remove animals to relieve their distress and provide proper care."

kitca
01-26-2011, 05:28 PM
good for you for advocating for this little guy!!!

Joy.D
01-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Call the Humane Society !!! No dog especially a short haired puppy deserves to be left out in the cold.

gouligann
01-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Gawd, why are people so stupid? I wouldn't think to leave a puppy that age out by itself at all, winter or summer. If a big dog comes along, the puppy could be hurt or killed before they even heard it cry
... also if it's a purebred, he could be stolen. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Jst4u
01-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Personally, I'd talk to the neighbours and see what's up.

My own puppy is outside close to 90% of the time and has been his whole life. And yeah, even in the -40 weather he was out there. I tried to bring him in and an hour later he was going bonkers trying to get outside again.

I know there's a difference between Huskies and Labs, but -5 isn't that cold for a Lab. Someone could have been watching the puppy from a window. I'm not saying what is going on is right or ok, but maybe try to figure out what's going on by talking to the owners first before you go around reporting them for something you saw once.

JMO.

Peety
01-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Personally, I'd talk to the neighbours and see what's up.

My own puppy is outside close to 90% of the time and has been his whole life. And yeah, even in the -40 weather he was out there. I tried to bring him in and an hour later he was going bonkers trying to get outside again.

I know there's a difference between Huskies and Labs, but -5 isn't that cold for a Lab. Someone could have been watching the puppy from a window. I'm not saying what is going on is right or ok, but maybe try to figure out what's going on by talking to the owners first before you go around reporting them for something you saw once.

JMO.

I agree. My pup loves to be outside. he pants and is restless in the house.

Joy.D
01-27-2011, 12:25 PM
In my opinion -5 is too cold for a 3 month old lab pup to spend the better part of an hour in, even when supervised.

Peety
01-27-2011, 12:35 PM
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101119102652AAJKu9h

Did you call Humane society and ask?

Super Gram
01-27-2011, 01:17 PM
There is a big difference between a dog that whines to go outside and a pup that cries at the door to get in.

SarahMac
01-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Yes and they basically said the same thing as the website. It is law to provide shelter for an animal. They've taken note of my complaint and will investigate. Whatever that means.

"Canada's laws require that animals receive adequate shelter and care. Our investigators offer custodians advice for proper animal care; and if necessary, they remove animals to relieve their distress and provide proper care."

@Peety, GSDs and Huskies have a thicker fur than a lab would. We have beagles and their coats are comparable. I for certain wouldn't leave my 11 week old puppy outside in that kind of weather. It doesn't take long for them to take a chill. Not to mention like another poster said, being tied in the front yard (unfenced) they wouldn't have any protection from a stray dog, fox, or coyote.

Amaranth
01-27-2011, 01:50 PM
When the Humane Society says that they will investigate they will go and see if the animal is outside and then try to get ahold of someone on the premises. If they cannot, they will leave a letter stating the laws in regards to shelter and care of animals and they follow up on that. I know this because of dealings with a neighbour who constantly left her dog outside, no matter what the weather was like, for hours on end. It was summer and her dog had no shelter from the sun and no water. When he barked or whined, she would yell out the window, swearing and then my son said he saw her hitting the poor dog. He was on a very short leash and he was aggressive toward kids who walked by (I can't blame him though).

She (the neighbour) threatened to kick my ass for calling the HS. I am not completely sure what all happened after the written warning (she didn't answer the door when they first went to her house so they left it at her door) but she told other neighbours that I "had her dog taken away" and she no longer had the dog a few weeks later so it may be possible that the HS apprehended the dog.

Allison
02-01-2011, 08:54 PM
I know I have a 10 week old lab and she hates to be outside more then a few min at a time no matter how warm. Some people just shouldn't have pets. Or should atleast prepair better first.

gouligann
02-03-2011, 02:14 PM
I know I have a 10 week old lab and she hates to be outside more then a few min at a time no matter how warm. Some people just shouldn't have pets. Or should atleast prepair better first.

And I have raised two labs. Same thing as yours. Just out to do their business and wanted right back in during cool/cold weather. The only time they spent long periods outside was on warmer days in spring, summer or fall, sleeping in the shade under our porch. (that was only after they were fully mature)

IMO, leaving any younger puppy (reguardless of the breed) alone outside is too dangerous. Wild animals or other larger dogs could attack them. That is, unless they are safe in a kennel with a heated or well insulated dog house. Then, I wonder how long a dog spends out in a kennel? What is the point of owning a dog as a pet, if it spends a lot of time alone?