PDA

View Full Version : Slow Cookers

SIMBA
01-31-2011, 10:11 PM
So I'm thinking on buying a slow cooker. I'm just looking for opinions on them and for some recipe ideas for them. Thanks!

skibunnie64
02-01-2011, 07:20 AM
Make sure you get one where the liner comes out so much easier to clean...i just search online for recipes..i have done whole chickens in mine, roasts, chili...i have cooked roasts from frozen state in them...just put in the morning on low and let cook all day...stews are good to make in them and soups

Luv'inLife
02-01-2011, 07:27 AM
also, dont go cheap...get one with cooking option such as how many hours and warm...some just have low/med./hi which is o.k. if you know you will be home but if you want to set it and forget it, the time setting is nice. Recipes for the slowcooker are everywhere, just remember its all about keeping the lid on and the moisture in.

NewCasa
02-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Slow cookers are a wonderful thing. Just make sure you use about half the spice you normally would. The process tends to intensify spices quite a bit. One of my favourites in a slow cooker is to get a bunch of ribs - back, side, whatever - even a mix is good. Cut them into twos and toss them in the pot, along with a bottle of bbq sauce (even cheap stuff is good). Put it on low before you go to work and enjoy ribs when you come home. That simple. Another similar one is pulled pork or beef sandwiches, using a cheap pork or beef roast instead of the ribs - don't cut it up at all, just put it in with the bbq sauce. You can also make some great soups in the crock pot. Chili is good too. Just make them pretty much same as you normally would, but if you want anything to be crunchy put it in for the last hour or so instead of all day.

Peety
02-01-2011, 11:32 AM
I love mine! I am sorry I did not buy a bigger one. I will next time.

maloo
02-01-2011, 11:39 AM
I have an awesome recipe book that is just recipes for the slow cooker.....I believe it is called "fix it and forget it" it has recipes for everything from dip and apple butter to chili, soup, roasts and chicken. It even has recipes for cake in the slow cooker.

maloo
02-01-2011, 11:42 AM
http://www.amazon.ca/Fix-Forget-Cookbook-Dawn-Ranck/dp/1561483397

this is the book I mentioned....AWESOME recipe book for the slow cooker!

bluekrissyspikes
02-01-2011, 02:11 PM
my favorite thing to cook in the slow cooker is pulled pork. it's great for sandwiches or you can serve it with potatoes or rice. i don't use bbq sauce though, i use pureed tomatoes and add my own spices. it's pretty much the same as bbq sauce though. stews also good and casseroles work well in there. i also wish i had bought a bigger one so i could cook enough to get leftovers for the next day and i'd have more options of what i could make.

Melanie Booker
02-01-2011, 02:55 PM
removable liner is a must and i prefer ceramic over a non-stick coating. no chance of the liner peeling wth a ceramic one.

roast beef or pork is amazing in the crock pot!

Luv to be on the GO
02-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Your so right MB ..Roasts really are amazing
What I like to do is ...Put my Pasta sauce and
Meat Balls in my large crock pot and cook on
low for hours and hours ...Awesome meat balls !

kitca
02-01-2011, 09:59 PM
i agree with melanie b the ceramic removable liner. i love mine. i can post my favorite recipes later if you like. so easy. like newcasa said ribs are so easy and SO GOOD. now i stock up every time they are on sale. i do a meatloaf thats very easy too and yummy too. i highly recommend it.

i think its useful for winter colder times - i dont seem to use it in the warm months, is that just me?

SIMBA
02-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Oh wow! Great ideas everyone! Thanks a million! :)

BrAt
02-01-2011, 10:28 PM
MmMmMm Slow cooker lasagna! <3

Melanie Booker
02-02-2011, 09:08 AM
i use mine way more in the colder months too. but if i want to do a roast in the summer time, i'll plug it in outside on the deck. keep the house that much cooler! lol

i'm interested in that meatloaf recipe Kitca, if you're willing to share. :)

Peety
02-02-2011, 11:19 AM
I use mine all year round. Nothing better working outside and coming in to a cooked meal.

kitca
02-02-2011, 05:46 PM
you can use any meatloaf recipe that you like, just form it in the centre of the liner and keep it from touching the sides of the pan. more like a meatlump than loaf, lol. anyway, here is my favorite recipe.
2 lbs (or so) lean ground meat (i use extra lean)
1 slice soft bread torn into pieces
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup milk
1 beaten egg
salt, pepper, sage, dry mustard, cerery salt, garlic salt worcestershire sauce,
mix all together and form into a lump.
in seperate bowl mix 1 cup ketchup and 1/4 cup brown sugar. pour into pie plate
place this on top of meatlump. cook on low 8-10 hours. use the ketchup mixture as an icing. yummy

this one is really good and super easy. its from companys coming
meatball stew
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
3 1/2 cups baby carrots
2 lbs baby potaotes (if too large, cut in 2)

dried dillweed
pepper
package of frozen cooked meatballs

1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup water
2 tsp worchestershire sauce

1 1/2 cups frozen peas
layer first 3 ingredients, sprinkle with spices, put meatballs on
combine next 4 ingredients pour over mixture. cook on low 8-10 or hi 4-5.
add peas just before serving and put on hi for 5 minutes till heated through.

i dont measure, i just eyeball most of the stuff. its surprisingly good

Melanie Booker
02-03-2011, 10:17 AM
pour into pie plate place this on top of meatlump.
just to be clear, you put the pie plate in the crock and cook it like that?

kitca
02-03-2011, 05:30 PM
ya, you know one of those disposable aluminium ones.

CANDY_74
02-04-2011, 04:11 PM
I have an awesome recipe book that is just recipes for the slow cooker.....I believe it is called "fix it and forget it" it has recipes for everything from dip and apple butter to chili, soup, roasts and chicken. It even has recipes for cake in the slow cooker.

Ive got the same recipe book :)

Ive got 2 slow cookers and I couldn't and wouldn't live without them...lol...

Melanie Booker
02-05-2011, 09:43 AM
ok, so i made kitca's meat lump using a mix of beef, veal and pork. i had it in the crock ready to go, and my husband came home and wanted it done before he went to work. ughh, so i poured the ketchup right on top of it and put the crock liner in the oven. it was really really good.
maybe next time i'll get to try it in the crock!

kitca
02-05-2011, 03:05 PM
im so glad you liked it! the recipe actually calls to put the ketchup mixture right on top, but we like it so much we do it seperate so we get more! but you can just spread it right on top.

Genny
02-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Kitca: I tried the meat ball stew yesterday - it was really good! so easy to prepare too. Thank you for posting the recipe.

kitca
02-07-2011, 11:27 AM
oh ya, isnt it yummy! i got one more from that cookbook that i really like. (truth be told they are the only 2 from the book i have tried, but i liked them both so made them over and over, lol)

sausage & potato
1 pkg hot itallian sausage

1 c chopped onion
1 lb peeled, cubed sweet potato
1-2 large potato, peeled, cubed
1 sm bag baby carrots
2 parsnips, peeled & cubed (i used turnip instead and liked it better)

lg can of diced tomato (with juice)
1 c chicken broth
1/2 tsp white sugar
1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 c sour cream
2 tbsp potato flakes
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano (i use dried)

heat up a large fry pan. cut end or middle of sausage and squeeze out little plops to the pan. discard casings (or feed to waiting dog sitting beside you drooling)

layer next 5 ingredients into slow cooker, place sausage over top.

combine next 4 ingredients in small bowl. pour over mixture. cook on low 8-10 or high 4-5

before serving add remaining 3 ingredients and stir well.

its a very yellow dish with carrots, sweet potato and turnips, but its really good. the hot sausage makes it. evenif you dont care for hot (i dont use hot normally) but its nice in this mixture.

Genny
02-07-2011, 03:32 PM
thank you Kitca - wow that was a lot of typing :) I will try it later this week.

kitca
02-08-2011, 08:37 AM
so im making ribs today in a borrowed slow cooker. they are on sale at frills. as long as they cook on slow all day long they are soooo good! easy as it can be, ribs and a bottle of bbq sauce. yum.

BrAt
02-08-2011, 10:43 AM
When I make ribs in the crock I always boil and then bake before putting them in the crock. Does anyone else do this or just me? lol I find that boiling gets rid of some of the fat and baking crisps them up. Anyone? Anyone? haha

Melanie Booker
02-08-2011, 12:00 PM
wow..thrice cooked ribs! lol
i haven't ribs in the crock yet but i'm craving them now!

bluekrissyspikes
02-08-2011, 03:06 PM
When I make ribs in the crock I always boil and then bake before putting them in the crock. Does anyone else do this or just me? lol I find that boiling gets rid of some of the fat and baking crisps them up. Anyone? Anyone? haha

i used to but i find it doesn't make that much of a difference if you cook them long enough in the slow-cooker most of the fat still melts and i skim it off the top.

gouligann
02-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Another way to get the fat out of the ribs is to do them in the slow cooker with nothing but a bit of salt, pepper and garlic powder, until almost cooked. Pour out all the fat, then put your BBQ sauce on them in layers, then slow cook them for another hour. I find this much easier than trying to skim the fat off the top... and they turn out just as tender and tasty.

kitca
02-08-2011, 05:44 PM
id say they are pretty freekin good just like this! i take them out of all the juice and use a bit of fresh bbq sauce on them. when the sauce cools you can see all the fat in it. i give it to the birds and they love it.

skibunnie64
02-09-2011, 12:43 PM
i ususally boil my ribs first then put them in the slow cooker with honey garlic sauce...they come out soooo good..leftovers are even better

alecat10
02-13-2011, 10:07 AM
My fav brand of "Crock Pot" is by Rival, called Versa crockpot. You can put the crock on the stove top or in the oven. It is versatile. It's great to saute veggies. Bought mine at Hart for $39.00. Bought the same one years ago from a local hardware store for $109!! Rival owns the name crockpot vs. slow cooker. Features I look for when purchasing are 6 quart, settings that include low, high, and switch to warm function when done! This way your food does not get over cooked, and it certainly can in a crock pot. I always dislike slow cookers that run too hot even on the low setting. So this is imoritant to me. It's also available online, as this is where my friend purchased hers.
So I'm thinking on buying a slow cooker. I'm just looking for opinions on them and for some recipe ideas for them. Thanks!

Jackie B
02-16-2011, 10:02 PM
I've been using my crockpot through the night when electricity is cheap 3-4 times a week, and just reheating at supper time. I have made pork roast, beef roast, and a small whole chicken like this. I have a problem with the meat being really dry. We were barely able to swallow the chicken without taking a drink of water with it. It made great soup the next day, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...any suggestions would be great.

Tutones
02-16-2011, 11:24 PM
Do you set your crockpot on low or high? If you are cooking for long periods of time it should only be set on low. You should also add some liquid for longer periods of time. If you put extra water in with the chicken it is great for soup broth later and will keep the chicken moist as well. I've done all three in my crockpot and all were moist & juicy.

Jackie B
02-17-2011, 11:33 PM
I had them on high. :-/ I made a pork roast two nights back on low, and it was better, but still a bit dry. I also did not add water that time though. There was still a fair bit of juice in the bottom by morning. I will try it on low from now on with a bit of water in the bottom and see how that works.

kitca
02-18-2011, 01:29 PM
jackie do you serve applesauce with your pork roast? thats the only way i can eat it is with homemade chunky applesauce as i find pork roast dry no matter what. i wonder if the chicken was cut and covered with a broth or sauce if it would not be as dry? i havent done chicken in mine so i dont know from experience.

bluekrissyspikes
02-18-2011, 10:12 PM
there are a couple ways to keep it from drying out. sometime i add a little water and then cover as much as i can with sliced onions. tastes yummy that way. i have three slow cookers so i use the one that fits the meat best so that the meat takes up most of the space and usually fill the rest with either water for making gravy, canned tomatos or tomato juice or bbq sauce. the roast comes out so tender it is almost falling apart. i know there are other sauces you can make or buy but i haven't tried any. i have been thinking of doing a curry sauce next time.

Luv to be on the GO
02-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Roast beef is awesome in the crock pot ( a reasonable roast
turns out best )
I put a pkg. of lipton onion soup mix and a small can
of beef broth in with it ...cook on low 9 till 5
Falls apart ....and what a flavour ...
if you like you can strain all the juices if
you want to make gravy !!

Melanie Booker
02-19-2011, 09:37 AM
jackie do you serve applesauce with your pork roast? thats the only way i can eat it is with homemade chunky applesauce as i find pork roast dry no matter what. i wonder if the chicken was cut and covered with a broth or sauce if it would not be as dry? i havent done chicken in mine so i dont know from experience.

i've never had a pork roast (i usually use a shoulder) come out of the crock dry. its always so moist and juicy it just falls apart.
i put a fair bit of water in with it though

Tutones
02-19-2011, 04:25 PM
I did a pork tenderloin in the crock pot with a bottle of Diana Sauce (sweet & sour rib) added along with an extra cup of water. I added some sliced up raw potatoes to help soak up any excess moisture and it was perfect.

bluekrissyspikes
02-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Roast beef is awesome in the crock pot ( a reasonable roast
turns out best )
I put a pkg. of lipton onion soup mix and a small can
of beef broth in with it ...cook on low 9 till 5
Falls apart ....and what a flavour ...
if you like you can strain all the juices if
you want to make gravy !!

beef broth! omg, i can't beleive i never thought of that. i guess that would be the obvious choice, eh?

BrAt
02-20-2011, 08:42 PM
President's Choice Chicken and Rib bbq sauce is GREAT! Also, Bullseye bbq sauce (which I have only been able to find at Pino's) is also amazing. I have used both with pork roasts, beef roasts, ribs...

Jackie B
02-21-2011, 11:52 AM
I made a pork roast through the night on low, and had hubby shut it off when he woke up (early), and it is very juicy! I'm excited for supper now. :)

Tutones
02-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Bullseye BBQ sauce is awesome. You can also get it at Metro.