PDA

View Full Version : I need an answer pertaining to tv's

AmdWolfman
02-08-2011, 11:10 AM
I have a 42" plasma now. I was told it consumesmore power then a LCD. I want to know if LCD vs plasma is better picture. Is the lcd clearer,becuzz I really don't see that much of a difference between my jvc crt and the plasma. Is LCD better and sharper picture then the plasma. like i said i need some good opinions about this,thx. But I do need to know which is sharper,sharpness and better over-all performance. Like i said i need to know from some peeps experience with both . I need to know this becuzz tomorrow is the last day i can exchange from plasma to lcd. just post your opions and i'm waiting for some feedback,ok thx all.

DeleteAccout
02-08-2011, 03:01 PM
I went from an LCD to a plasma. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Plasma is best suited for a Home Theatre. They have a glass screen so they'll have a LOT od glare if they're placed in direct sunlight. Livingrooms with sheer curtains will be best suited for an LCD.
Plasma has almost perfect viewing angle. I can walk almost completely to the side of my TV and see the screen just fine. With LCD, it'll grey/black out. Similar case with LED.

My personal opinion, Plasma dominates for gaming/movies. For television, LCD/LED is decent. If you don't have a home theatre room or a living room with dark curtains or aren't able to darken the room ... don't think twice about going LCD. I got lucky and picked up my 42'' LG from FS for 500$. It's only 720p, but it's also only a 42'', so you really don't see any difference.

3,000,000 : 1 contrast ratio and up vs. an LCD with MAYBE 80,000 : 1 ... Plasma wins hands down. Deeper blacks, brighter whites. As per power consumption ... honestly, pay no attention to it. You won't notice a difference with the power usage on them. In standby they both consume next to nothing. My PVR uses more power than my tv does.

My Plasma: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-42-720p-600hz-plasma-hdtv-42pj550-42pj550/10140848.aspx?path=b12196d20e0d41e0fb076bc38eed414 fen02
Comparable LCD: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-42-1080p-lcd-hdtv-42ld450-42ld450/10140923.aspx?path=3d39b68a55e1e712fb05582ab276bbc 0en02

DeleteAccout
02-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Keep in mind, CRT is a perfected technology. Why they dies out, I'll never know. They're a flawless and perfect picture with a 0ms response time. If you buy an inferior brand LCD or Plasma though ... (Insignia, Dynex, Emerson and so forth) you will notice the picture is complete crap. Dynex LCDs have a contrast ratio of 5,000 : 1 compared to a mid range LCD or 50,000 : 1 or a mid range Plasma or 3,000,000 : 1

Don't cheap out or you'll regret it

Hans
02-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Don't be taken in by the numbers. Contrast ratio numbers more or less mean nothing, as there's no standard on how manufacturers measure them. As such they very heavily inflate their numbers, as a selling feature.

DeleteAccout
02-09-2011, 09:26 PM
I suppose that's a point worth mentioning, however I've noticed that it's generally a safe bet to take the manufacturers word for it. For instance my old Dynex flat screen had a ratio of 5000:1. The blacks were VERY pixelated. They were conbinations of black, grey and everything inbetween. Very poor. However, the colors looked "decent" for a 260$ tv. My LG plasma has a 3,000,000:1 ratio and the blacks are gorgeous. However, the main selling point for me was the 600HZ refresh rate and the fact that it's extemely cheap. I don't need 1080p so that wasn't a concern. I'll eventually upgrade to a surround sound unit with a BluRay player but that won't be for a little bit.