PDA

View Full Version : Ad on sootoday

HuskyWillow
02-10-2011, 02:01 PM
"I WOULD LIKE A PURE BLACK SHORT HAIRED KITTEN,AS I USED TO HAVE ONE...PREFERRABLY 6 MONTHS OR YOUNGER. PLEASE E-MAIL ME ME IF YOU HAVE ONE TO GIVE AWAY."

This kind of stuff ticks me off, a person who wants a pet but won;t even think about the pound. There's numerous PURE BLACK cats at the shelter that are waiting for homes. Why not go there? Help the life of an animal that has a slim chance of being adopted because it's black. If you can't afford a cat from our shelter then I dont think your going to make a real good cat owner to begin with. If who ever posted this reads this, please just go look at the shelter, even if you don't find a black cat tehre you like I'm sure you'll leave with something.

MagicFingers
02-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Or they can also try contacting TAAG!

TNT
02-11-2011, 01:46 PM
While I 100% agree that there are many needy pets at the humane society, the problem lies within the fees. Somone can throw an ad up like that and have a kitten for FREE in an hour. OR they could go to the humane society and pay $90 for a kitten.

I understand they are all donation dependant, but $90 really? If they charged less, they'd have more turnover in adoptions and would actually likely make MORE in the end as more pple would actually go there to adopt.

JMO. I can understand both sides of the board on that one.

NewCasa
02-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Maybe people should have to get a license to get a pet? ;)

GoldenGirl
02-11-2011, 06:02 PM
This is to people who want free animals and won't drop a cent for one:

If you can't afford $100 to purchase an animal, you shouldn't have one. Are you going to be able to afford the proper vet care, food and other things (litter, poop bags, toys, treats, scratch posts, endless balls, emergencies, grooming if neccessary?). Probably not. Everybody thinks that 'poor people' deserve pets too. Well, nobody likes to see a kid being raised by a family that can't afford to feed him/her, or clothe him/her. What exactly is the difference? Besides that people get funding for their human children if they need it.

Maybe you'd make a great pet-parent, but are you doing whats best for the animal or only looking out for your own needs? Whether you pay $0, $5, $50, $500 or $1500, there are going to be additional expenses. A pet is a long-time commitment that is going to cost money no matter what is paid upfront.

There is NEVER such a thing as a 'free pet'. Unless of course someone gives you an animal and then pays for everything for you - in which case: lucky bums.

A*lil*Loopy
02-12-2011, 07:13 PM
That would mean my 21 yr old son has a free pet. I pay for everything and we got visitation over Christmas. It was one way for me to save the bunny but not crowd my little house.
The truth is that while rescuing animals is a wonderful thing to do, or just giving them a good home is very nice, it is damn expensive to be responsible for those lives.
I agree GoldenGirl with your post. We spend thousands of dollars each year on our rescues/family pets. We're currently shopping for a "wheelchair" for one of them. That will cost me over $500 and he may not last another 6 months but the vet says he should be around for a couple more years. In the past year, the same dog has cost me well over $3000 for cancer surgery, accidental poisoning, numerous x-rays, bloodtests, medication, and finally clear check-ups. Then there are the other 5 dogs plus the cats and horses.
When they say you are investing in a pet, they aren't lying. Free is nice, but support is better.

Mimi
02-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Most of the $90 fee for a kitten or unfixed cat the Shelter is for a Spay/Neuter deposit which comes off the Vet bill for the surgery. It is one way to make sure people have their kittens fixed to prevent more unwanted kittens.

bluekrissyspikes
02-12-2011, 11:57 PM
i understand what everyone is saying but i don't see why not take a kitten that's not in a shelter as they need homes too. i've had three cats in my life. the one i have now came from TAAG. he's awesome but so were the other ones. one was a stray my ex brought home for me. turns out he was very well trained and thought he was a dog, i don't know what happened to his original owners but he was wandering for a long time in the winter and needed a home. he had a bad case of earmites and was real thin and shy. took him a while but he turned out to be the friendliest cat ever. the other was just a kitten when i got her. a friend of mine brought her home and her father didn't want it in the house. she called me all in a panic, he had the kitten in a box all taped up on his way to throw it in the dump. i got the kitten and my dad told me i couldnt have it in his house and if i wanted it that bad i should get my own place, so i did. i couldn't leave her, she was just so small that her head was way bigger than her body, she looked like like ball of fur with eyes and ears. both these cats needed a home just as much as any shelter pet, they were equally as good as the one i got from Taag even if i didn't have to pay money to adopt them. yes, they needed to see the vet too and they needed good food and everything which i paid for them. i don't think it was bad that they were 'free' or that there is anything wrong with taking in a free animal. i also have a lot of fish that people give me because they know i'll make the effort to take care of them properly while they aren't doing so well with them. all animals need homes, not just shelter pets. if i was to get another cat i might go for a 'free' one too. it already costs alot to care for them and saving a few bucks on adoption fees isn't all that horrible of a thing to do and it certainly doesn't mean i couldn't afford to pay the $90 or whatever the fee is.

HuskyWillow
02-13-2011, 04:10 PM
i understand what everyone is saying but i don't see why not take a kitten that's not in a shelter as they need homes too. i've had three cats in my life. the one i have now came from TAAG. he's awesome but so were the other ones. one was a stray my ex brought home for me. turns out he was very well trained and thought he was a dog, i don't know what happened to his original owners but he was wandering for a long time in the winter and needed a home. he had a bad case of earmites and was real thin and shy. took him a while but he turned out to be the friendliest cat ever. the other was just a kitten when i got her. a friend of mine brought her home and her father didn't want it in the house. she called me all in a panic, he had the kitten in a box all taped up on his way to throw it in the dump. i got the kitten and my dad told me i couldnt have it in his house and if i wanted it that bad i should get my own place, so i did. i couldn't leave her, she was just so small that her head was way bigger than her body, she looked like like ball of fur with eyes and ears. both these cats needed a home just as much as any shelter pet, they were equally as good as the one i got from Taag even if i didn't have to pay money to adopt them. yes, they needed to see the vet too and they needed good food and everything which i paid for them. i don't think it was bad that they were 'free' or that there is anything wrong with taking in a free animal. i also have a lot of fish that people give me because they know i'll make the effort to take care of them properly while they aren't doing so well with them. all animals need homes, not just shelter pets. if i was to get another cat i might go for a 'free' one too. it already costs alot to care for them and saving a few bucks on adoption fees isn't all that horrible of a thing to do and it certainly doesn't mean i couldn't afford to pay the $90 or whatever the fee is.

It's not that I'm saying don't adopt a cat from anywhere else but the shelter, it's that this person wants a kitten for free and I can only assume that if they aren't willing to pay for the cat itself that they aren't going bring it to the vet or anything else. In cases such as what you did by rescuing the animal that's perfectly fine, but this person isn't going out rescuing animals, they just want a cat for free. The shelter has lots of black cats waiting for homes that would please this person.

bluekrissyspikes
02-13-2011, 05:03 PM
okay, but why assume that? maybe they just don't want to pay a fee.

GoldenGirl
02-13-2011, 11:10 PM
If you can rescue any animal - free or not - do it! It isn't really about whether you get the animal for free or not. Its about how much you're -willing- to give for that animal. This guy isn't willing to put down the cost of getting a cat. He isn't out looking for a stray either. He is asking someone to drop a cat in his arms. So, he isn't putting out money or the effort of finding one. I am going to take the risk of making a donkey of myself and assume quite a bit.

kitca
02-14-2011, 10:10 AM
maybe its not just the fee. maybe they have a name for themselves and know that the shelter or taag wont give them a cat because of some prior history. i dont know anything about this situation, im just saying that there are people out there with a bad name for themselves. i wish we could publish those names!

SmrtGrl
02-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Perhaps the person who placed that ad might just save another unwanted animal from finding its way to the humane society. I have taken in many animals over the years when it turned out not to be such a good idea for the original owners, just to save it from ending up in the shelter. Not everything has to be looked at so negatively. As a matter of fact I'm in the unfortunate position myself that I have to find a home for my cat as I am moving in with my significant other and he is very allergic. If I don't find a home for her guess where she'll end up?

Joy.D
02-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Whatever this person reason this person has for wanting a free cat.... They want a black one. The shelters are always full of unwanted black cats. Let them give one a home.

Peety
02-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Whatever this person reason this person has for wanting a free cat.... They want a black one. The shelters are always full of unwanted black cats. Let them give one a home.

Maybe the cats there are to old?
like getting a puppy/dog. maybe it is not the right fit.