PDA

View Full Version : Pray for my dog :(

HuskyWillow
02-10-2011, 07:46 PM
My dog was puking all day and she was really tired so I knew something was wrong I assumed antifreeze. I called around here and no one was available, so I called Soo Animal Hospital across the river and they said bring her in asap so I did, they ran a blood test and an x-ray. She had an obstruction in her small intestine and antifreeze came back positive. Right now they have her on IV to build her up for surgery to take out the object in her intestine. And afterward if the results are 100% clarified that she does have antifreeze poisoning they're going to treat her with vodka. They said that the vodka kills the bad crap inside her. They're going in for surgery for her around 8 or 9. I just can;t imagine a life without her. She's my baby. I'm praying that she does okay. Please pray for her :(

Luv to be on the GO
02-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Awwww... hope everything goes well (HuskyWillow)
OH... I understand what you mean when you said
"she`s my Baby"..Prayers are being said !!
Keep us posted ...Best of Luck !!

HuskyWillow
02-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Hey everyone, so the vet called and she's out of surgery and and she's waking up now nice and healthy. The test for antifreeze apparently is really sensitive, and comes back positive for enything, the only way they know if there's nothing in her blood is if it comes back negative. So anything could have set it off. They're not going to treat her for antifreeze poisoning because the only reason they checked was because we said she think might have gotten into it. They cut open her intestine and took out a lot of bone fragments that were blocking her up, and she's coming home tomorrow. I'm just so happy that we brought her across because the vet said she would have died if we didn't bring her in. No more bones for her! Once again thanks for the prayers everyone. :')

magic mushroom
02-10-2011, 11:43 PM
:thumbs_up:

everywoman
02-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Whew! Glad to hear.

Super Gram
02-11-2011, 09:17 AM
So happy for you and your baby.

MaO3
02-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Thankfully you trusted your instincts, good for you and your baby.
Glad to hear that she's doing better.

:)

Hope
02-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Dog treat bones? Or other types? And awesome for you baby !

TNT
02-11-2011, 01:40 PM
good ole vodka, good for all types of problems! :P glad your baby is feeling better!

HuskyWillow
02-11-2011, 06:15 PM
We just got Willow back from the Sault Animal Hospital across the river and she's going to make a full recovery! The other dog won't let anyone touch her and keeps kissing her lol. She's eating and drinking again and doing her front yard business as per usual. Thanks everyone for the prayers, I couldn't hhave done it without you.

HuskyWillow
02-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Dog treat bones? Or other types? And awesome for you baby !

Bones fron the ribs we had the other night, they got stuck in her small intestine and kind of like locked up and wouldn't go anywhere, no way of her passing them through normally.

kitca
02-11-2011, 09:48 PM
oh thats wonderful\!!!

Luv to be on the GO
02-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Super great news ...
I`m happy your Baby is going to be O.K.

Hope
02-11-2011, 11:36 PM
So glad she's doing well. Had to ask about the bones because 1 of my pups will chew the dog treat bones or toys and the other only sucks them. But then later she will be sick a bit. Being baby's I had to ask.

HuskyWillow
02-12-2011, 12:15 AM
http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/k608/HuskyWillow/?action=view&current=IMG_0071-1.jpghttp://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k608/HuskyWillow/IMG_0068-1.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k608/HuskyWillow/IMG_0071-1.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k608/HuskyWillow/IMG_0072-1.jpg

HuskyWillow
02-12-2011, 12:16 AM
http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/k608/HuskyWillow/?action=view&current=IMG_0071-1.jpghttp://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k608/HuskyWillow/IMG_0068-1.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k608/HuskyWillow/IMG_0071-1.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k608/HuskyWillow/IMG_0072-1.jpg

Those are pics from when I brought her home, her stiches are on the inside so she doesn't have to wear the cone.

Peety
02-12-2011, 12:19 AM
What a sweetie, Glad she is feeling better.

gouligann
02-12-2011, 07:33 AM
So glad to hear that your dog is doing well! We're just fortunate that we live on a border town with emergency vet alternatives, or she probably would have died.

Your post brings up a couple of scary questions now.

1. Why were none of our vets available? If you use a vet on this side, didn't he/she have an alternative vet on call here for emergencies?
2. Will the vets on this side now refuse to accept your animals for treatment because you had to resort to going over the bridge for emergency treatment?
3. Would our vets want you to wait until one of them IS on call so you can give them the business, risking the chance that your dog might die?

The fact that there were no vets available on this side, if I was you, I'd call your vet and have it documented that there were no Canadian vets on call at the time you needed them. Then they can't go back on you and say that you didn't call them first. Pitiful what we have to resort to, isn't it?

HuskyWillow
02-12-2011, 01:21 PM
So glad to hear that your dog is doing well! We're just fortunate that we live on a border town with emergency vet alternatives, or she probably would have died.

Your post brings up a couple of scary questions now.

1. Why were none of our vets available? If you use a vet on this side, didn't he/she have an alternative vet on call here for emergencies?
2. Will the vets on this side now refuse to accept your animals for treatment because you had to resort to going over the bridge for emergency treatment?
3. Would our vets want you to wait until one of them IS on call so you can give them the business, risking the chance that your dog might die?

The fact that there were no vets available on this side, if I was you, I'd call your vet and have it documented that there were no Canadian vets on call at the time you needed them. Then they can't go back on you and say that you didn't call them first. Pitiful what we have to resort to, isn't it?

1) It wasn't that none of the vets were available, it was that they all kept referring me to NorthLand, and they said they said when I call Northland at 5 that I'll have to wait for a call to see if there was a vet on call. In my opinion I would have payed 3 times the price for her to die over here. I'm not an extreme fan of how this city works in terms of care for pets, or even humans.
2) I'm pretty sure that that's the case, I mean it's almost like spitting in their faces, but I couldn't care less at this point because the wait for even an appointment would have been like 2 hours and I didn't know how long she was going to last. When they were prepping her up for surgery they had to have her on IV because she was so dehydrated, and even if there was a vet on call after the 2 hour wait for me to get in over here I don't know what they would have done. When we went to Sault Animal Hospital across the river they immediately did a blood test, and set her up for an x-ray. My results for Willow only took half an hour. I can't even imagine the line we would have had over here.
3) I think that's the case with out vets, I'm not saying all of them but a majority are only in it for the money. Don't get me wrong some of the vets here are excellent, and they all have the right intentions but plain and simply I don't like the vets here.

See I don't have a regular vet, there's never been anything wrong with my dog in the 8-9 years I've had her, and she's been in perfect health so I haven't made any checkups or anything. I think tat might have been a reason a wrench was thrown into things with our vets as well.

The little **** won't take her meds cooperatively, I have to hide them in salami and she still gets around them. So I ended up having to shove them down her throat. Any ideas on a better way to give her the meds?

TNT
02-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Friggin rib bones!!! I had a rib bone surgically removed from the stomach of one of our puppies. This was a few yrs back, he was only 12 weeks old when this happened. He found it outside and swallowed it whole. :Shttp://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79/tntdanes/7024_159096685344_517590344_2817920_1578098_n.jpg

TNT
02-12-2011, 05:25 PM
nope, shoving em down her throat is literally the only way to ensure they get there. One of my girls can find a pill in a pot full of kraft dinner! She'd eat every noodle, but the pill would be intact in the bottom of the pot. Pain in the ass. lol

Peety
02-12-2011, 05:33 PM
I always massaged my dogs throat to make her swallow.

HuskyWillow
02-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Friggin rib bones!!! I had a rib bone surgically removed from the stomach of one of our puppies. This was a few yrs back, he was only 12 weeks old when this happened. He found it outside and swallowed it whole. :Shttp://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79/tntdanes/7024_159096685344_517590344_2817920_1578098_n.jpg

OUCH! Poor boy, I felt so bad when they told me that it was bones, and that it was recent becasue I gave her rib bones the day prior. Freaking pups, they'll get into anything.

HuskyWillow
02-12-2011, 10:29 PM
nope, shoving em down her throat is literally the only way to ensure they get there. One of my girls can find a pill in a pot full of kraft dinner! She'd eat every noodle, but the pill would be intact in the bottom of the pot. Pain in the ass. lol

I can't believe how she'd always find it. I had to put it in some havarti cheese and jsut mold it around it. I miss yesterday when she was so drugged up and starving that she'd eat anything.

HuskyWillow
02-12-2011, 10:30 PM
I tired doing it nicely but she'd jsut squirm and kick. She wouldnt budge, I hate to imagine trying to do this to a larger dog.

HDV
02-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Glad the pooch is ok :)
Now do not ever give your pup another bone..lol
Bones are very very bad for dogs. Well you now know that :)

Glad everything worked out, and im not lecturing or insulting you. :)

kitca
02-13-2011, 06:01 PM
what about raw bones? i give my guys (well, only one guy now) raw soup knuckes and they love them. i think/thought it was the cooked bones that would splinter so badly? but id hate to have them go through something terrible because i thought it was a treat.

Super Gram
02-15-2011, 09:37 AM
I used to buy big knuckle bones from the butcher shop on Northern Ave. They sold them 10 to a bag. Dogs can't possibly swallow them. I would freeze the rest........then when the first bone was finished being chewed. I would defrost another one. This dog was a Cairn Terrier and you would be surprised how many people buy these big knuckle bones.

MaO3
02-15-2011, 11:01 AM
If you have to stuff the pill down her throat, stand behind her, lift her chin and open her mouth.. Slip the pill in on one side or the other -- down past the back of the tounge. Hold her mouth closed for a few seconds -and if necessary rub her throat.

I have to give my boy 9 pills a day, every day so I'm pretty damm good at it at this point. I'm able to slip the 3 1/2 into his food "usually" but he has to have his Thyroid pill 2 hours after food. I've found lately that "Snausages" are great for slipping the last pill into. I can stuff it in the centre of it and he eats it without notice...