PDA

View Full Version : Flying

blueeyedgirl
02-14-2011, 08:08 PM
I have friends who are planning a destination wedding next summer and hubby and I were asked to go. Thing is that I am very paranoid of flying and told them there was no way i would ever fly. I am claustophobic but not because of it just being a small space but the fact that if something bad happens there is no way to escape (I avoid elevators when I can and so on). I would like to be able to go but i fear i would panic on the flight. Anyone on here with a HUGE fear of flying actually go through with it? I am trying to talk myself into going through with it but i don't think i will be able to do it. My husband has been on a plane and says its not scary but he's not scared of anything lol.

yoda
02-14-2011, 08:36 PM
I have heard about psychologists in larger centers such as TO, who will gradually expose their clients to their phobia. Perhaps using visualization at first then a video and then bringing them to the airport and then eventually onto a plane. I have not heard of that happening here in the Sault. Anyhow, good luck overcoming this fear

b&aMom
02-14-2011, 08:41 PM
I had a huge fear of flying. The first time I flew, I was a basket case leading up to the flight, but I was alone with my 14 month old, and busy meeting her needs, so I was halfway across the country before I thought to be afraid. LOL

I get nervous during takeoff, am ok with landing, fine once we're at full altitude. Often I'll take 1/2 an Ativan, just to reassure myself I won't freak upon departure, but I've flown so much now that they're probably not necessary. When I get nervous before the flight, I think about how much I'll enjoy myself at my destination.

b&aMom
02-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Forgot to add, I've flown twice in the last year alone...once to BC, once to Florida. The larger the plane, the easier it seems to be.

Tutones
02-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Just do it. Take lots of Gravol & don't look out the windows ;) That's what I do. Either that or take a boat to the wedding...

kitca
02-14-2011, 09:43 PM
i dont like flying for the same reason as you. but you know what, the more i think about it the freakier i get about it. dont overthink it. go out and live life and enjoy it, when its your time it will be your time. i take my sleeping pills and they help me (mild tranquilizer). my hubby is fully awake and i just follow him in a nice dopey state. do positive thinking and talk yourself into it.

Amaranth
02-14-2011, 10:11 PM
I had panic attacks just thinking of getting on a plane. I was so terrified I would actually have a full blown attack and decide against taking a plane. I finally did 15 years ago though. I wanted to go home for the summer with my kids and I was pregnant so I couldn't even take an Ativan lol. I did it though and I was really proud of myself. I went to BC and back to Toronto where I lived at the time.

Like Tutones said, try Gravol and DO NOT look out the window lol. My oldest daughter was 5 when I went home that first time and she was given the window seat. I was minding my own business and she said, "LOOK MOMMY!" and I looked over to her. She had the shade open and I got pretty dizzy haha. But all in all it was not that bad.

b&aMom
02-14-2011, 10:48 PM
That's weird. I get anxious about flying, and I'm deathly afraid of heights, but I absolutely love looking out the window when flying. Go figure.

everywoman
02-15-2011, 12:51 AM
I'd say go for the Ativan, or Gravol. Just do it. I am also claustrophobic, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let it ruin any life experience for me! I've been in some scary small places because I forced myself to face the irrational fear.

Andre
02-15-2011, 01:02 AM
blueeyedgirl

My advice would be to try it.
Tell your doctor about your fear and ask for a mild tranq or something. The doc probably won't have a problem with it because he will only be giving you 2 of them.
Also avoid puddle jumpers. Try driving to Toronto or Detroit and taking direct flights on a major airline.
As a former member of CAMC(Canadian Aviation Maintenance Council) with a S(Structures)ticket, I have much more faith in the safety of Airliners with their redundancies then I have in automobiles.
In the end though, they are your friends. If they are going to be hurt by your not being there? Try.
If not. Stay home and try participating by Skype.

chris5
02-15-2011, 01:03 AM
I am an absolut baby when it comes to flying... FREAKs ME RIGHT OUT... I found a real great solution... Valium... No kidding... Take a vallium about an hour before departure and it helps.. Im not a pill advocate but my fear of flying and a job that required me to fly caused me to look for options... VALIUM.. You wont worry.... Youll be happy...LOL

lynys
02-15-2011, 10:53 AM
I used to have an incredible fear of being in a plane. But, when I had to attend my ex brother-in-laws wedding, I had no choice but to just do it. I was really, really nervous, and had one flight that was really bumpy, but it is something I got over. :)

They have tv's or music as a distraction, and bringing a book or something might help you too.

Trust me... being able to go to a destination wedding is the best vacation ever! I know, I went to my own. :P

MaO3
02-15-2011, 11:04 AM
My first flight I was SCARED to death. Had three drinks in the airport before departure and squeezed my husbands hand sooo hard during takeoff that I though I'd broke a couple of his fingers. After getting into the air, I was shocked and surprised at how un-afraid I was.
If your really so afraid that you dont' think you can do it then like others have suggested go to the doc and get a couple of mild tranqualizers. You probably wont' need them though if you have someone supportive sitting beside you.

You can do it blueyedgirl!

Bluesky
02-15-2011, 12:12 PM
I would also suggest a book entitle "Change Your Brain, Change your Life". Phobias get hard wired into the brain but there are ways of undoing that wiring.

gouligann
02-15-2011, 12:26 PM
like the others, I say definitely go with a tranquilizer. Adivan works wonders. Take one, half an hour before the plane takes off. I sleep most of the way.

Karen-Annie
02-15-2011, 01:07 PM
I don't know if we have anybody in the Soo who is qualified and does a good job but what about hypnosis?

blueeyedgirl
02-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks everyone. Hopefully I can get over my fear and live a little. We are starting to travel and I don't want to have to drive everywhere and have to rule out some places because of my fear. Hopefully i can go through with it and not have a freak out on the plane lol.

verotik66
02-16-2011, 12:32 AM
I think you would have more problems with the intial flight out of the sault on the small plane, then you switch to much larger plane without the same clausterphobic feel to it, you might be better off driving to toronto and fly from there, alot of times for 2 people it works out cheaper, if you can enjoy a night out in toronto as well etc...

autum1
02-20-2011, 10:35 AM
I hope this will help. When I was a child and teenager I liked flying. Then once I got into my twenties, I developed this intense fear of flying. I had to fly for business once in awhile and spent the whole flight grasping the arm rest and very tense. I tried everything, valium, getting drunk, nothing helped. But, as I got into my forties, the fear started to fade, until now, I like flying and look forward to my next trip.

CANDY_74
02-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Im seriously very very afraid of heights!! I don't even like going on a step ladder, because it scares the c**p out of me!!

And then I went on a trip years ago and had to go on a plane....I was so scared! Nervous! I didnt know how I was going to do it...lol....

Well I ended up putting a whole package of Juicy Fruit (7 sticks) in my mouth to chew on so my ears wouldn't pop, and was biting my nails like crazy, I was a mess....but guess what?! I LOVED IT!! On the way there I was in an aisle seat, but on the way back I got a window seat :) and it was freakin' awesome!!!!!!!!!! I so want to go in a plane again, but on one condition......I have to have a window seat :) lol

My advice to you is to go for it, you'll more than likely end up loving it!!

02-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Great drunk. Real drunk. Or google Ativan or Lorazepam. :)