PDA

View Full Version : Highschool uniforms

goodasgold
02-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Can anyone tell me if there is a uniform swap for St. Mary's? I could swear I used to see one being held at St. Basil's, but when I asked the lady during grade 8 night, she said they don't have anything like that. I fear buying my son uniforms, especially pants, in June and having him hit a growth spurt through the summer. If it's possible to get them second hand, I think it would be more beneficial to my wallet.

blue32
02-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Any black dress pants will be acceptable-- especially for boys. They will not notice they are not from McCarthy (or who ever the uniform provider is now.

kitca
02-18-2011, 02:23 PM
put an ad to look for used ones, thats what i did and i did ok.

goodasgold
02-19-2011, 11:05 AM
I thought that too, about buying regular black pants. They said they they check for the H that is sewn onto the pants and if they were not there, the student would get written up. A little silly if you ask me.

SIMBA
02-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Any black dress pants will be acceptable-- especially for boys. They will not notice they are not from McCarthy (or who ever the uniform provider is now.

Not true. The uniform thing I respected at first until now. A student can look respectful wearing black pants and a dress shirt of any brand. Instead they HAVE to be Halprens...give me a break. $40.00 a pair! or more. It's another money grab for the schools!

Xzavia
02-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Not true. The uniform thing I respected at first until now. A student can look respectful wearing black pants and a dress shirt of any brand. Instead they HAVE to be Halprens...give me a break. $40.00 a pair! or more. It's another money grab for the schools!

HOLY CRAP!!! You'd think if they expected them to wear uniforms they'd at least be able to find something not so expensive!! I don't even spend $40.00/pair on jeans for my boys, thankfully you can get name brand and others for half that!

SIMBA
02-19-2011, 02:12 PM
I can get cheaper black really nice dress pants at Mark's Work Warehouse and white dress shirts at Wally World. It's ridiculous the prices they want for uniforms! I agree with dressing respectively and all that but why does it HAVE to be a specific brand?

italiandomino
02-19-2011, 04:35 PM
There is always the public school system if you all dont like the uniforms. You all have choices. Seems pretty simple.

IMHO
02-19-2011, 06:26 PM
bUY YOUR BLACK PANTS WHEREVER YOU WANT. nO ONE IS GOING TO ASK YOUR CHILD TO PULL THERE PANTS DOWN TO CHECK THE LABEL.

Northerngirl
02-19-2011, 06:39 PM
My children go to St. Mary's, my son graduates this year and my daughter has 1 more year and they like wearing uniforms, in my opionion it is much cheaper then buying designer clothes and wearing something different every day. You only need to buy 2 dress shirts and 2 pants and you should be good, not many wear the sweaters and hardly anyone wears the jacket. Its much simpler and easy then trying to figure out what to wear every day.
BTW, the H is on the pocket, no need to be pulling your pants down.

Peety
02-19-2011, 09:49 PM
I can get cheaper black really nice dress pants at Mark's Work Warehouse and white dress shirts at Wally World. It's ridiculous the prices they want for uniforms! I agree with dressing respectively and all that but why does it HAVE to be a specific brand?

Are the clothes a better quality?

italiandomino
02-19-2011, 11:44 PM
I remember hearing a lecture at school about Uniform.

Uniform means all the same. if everyone had different black pants or different white shirt, then it isnt a uniform, it is a dress code. He made reference to the RCMP, when you have RCMP officers wearing turbans, it is no longer a uniform, it is a clown outfit. I am guessing he doesnt like turbans or something, but I get his point.

unbeautiful-mistake*
02-20-2011, 06:34 AM
it all depends on the school that they are going to. i went to st marys i got suspended and detentions all the time for "illegal" pants. the shirt also has to have the school lettering on the collar.. its stupid!.. i went to st basils for a year and i wouldnt buy a new uniform for st marys when i went in grade 10, so i went to value village and looked through the dress shirts and uniforms there. can get uniform shirts there for like 5 $ compaired to at the uniform place for 50$. st basils dosent care if you wear a red shirt under your uniform shirt but at st marys it has to be either white or black or you get a detention. it sucks!!!

unbeautiful-mistake*
02-20-2011, 06:35 AM
also check online for people selling uniforms you can get some good deals

goodasgold
02-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Ya, I'll be checking online for sure. He just hasn't hit that growth spurt yet. He will be wearing a youth size and I don't want to buy a bunch and then need a men's pant come the fall. Course his dad can still buy pants in the youth section, so I might luck out. He is going to St. Mary's, so I figure I'll need the proper uniform attire.

Lizzard_n_Bubba_13
02-21-2011, 10:37 AM
You can always looks at Value Village.....they always have uniforms in there.....and LOTS of them with the tags still on them.....and check local websites closer to summer because a lot of people will be selling uniforms then.....but if you start looking at VV now you can accumulate a lot of uniform pieces....JMO