PDA

View Full Version : Leafs recent trades

Strife
02-18-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm sure we have all heard of the recent trades by the Leafs, but here is a recap

Kaberle to Boston for Colborne, 1st round pick in 2011 draft and condition 2012 draft pick.

Versteeg to Phili for a 1st and 3rd round pick in 2011

Although as a Leafs fan, I am sad to see Kaberle going. He has been a hot topic for a while when the trade deadline talks start. I watched the press release on the Kaberle trade and Burke said it well; Kaberle just didnt fit. I think Kaberle, a gifted set up man to McCabe for quite a while, will fit in with Chara just fine. Colborne is a solid forward with size and speed and if developed properly, I'm sure we will see him as a top 6 forward.

Where do we go from here? Well Toronto now has 3 first round picks for the upcoming draft which could yield some top prospects for the upcoming years. Reimer seems to be solid in net which is something that Leafs fans havent seen in a while. If Gustavson or Giguire could stay healthy, this kid is slated to be the future of this franchise. Any input?

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
02-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Sure Kaberle didnt fit. He is a talented player on a team filled with marginal players. Kessel needs linemates but in Toronto they love torturing their forwards with no help. As For Gigger, he is done like toast and Gustavson will be out of the league in a few years because of his health. As for the Kaberle situation, the only one that fueled all the rumors all year was Burke and his henchmen. Pretty sad considering that Kaberle was the consummate pro for all these years and had to put up with that stupidity the past couple of seasons...

Oscar_Leroy
02-19-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm glad Kaberle went. Leaves more room for the younger guys, and I would not have been surprised at all if Kaberle walked away on July 1st. At least the team got something back for Kaberle this way. I agree that Kaberle was pure class the whole time he was in Toronto, too. I really hope he has a good year, and playoff run with Boston... That is, unless they play the Leafs.

I need to ask this though Canadian13, from one Leaf's fan to another, who is on your wishlist for Toronto?

Strife
02-20-2011, 01:07 AM
I need to ask this though Canadian13, from one Leaf's fan to another, who is on your wishlist for Toronto?

Its hard to say. We need a solid playmaker up front. I fear that Kessel isnt fitting in with Grabby. Their ego's clash because they both like to score the goals rather than rack up assists. Thats where Kaberle came in. He added the playmaking which made them deadly. Kessel and Grabby both have the ability to finish off a play. They just need someone to set the play up.

riggs
02-20-2011, 02:21 PM

If the question was directed to me, I would want a GM who understands chemistry and a coach who has a solid system and the ability to have his players follow it

_daynzy
02-21-2011, 08:31 AM
they need someone to headman the powerplay now to get'er moving in.. kaberle was the guy, now they need someone else to step up.. the powerplays saturday night were horrendous

Oscar_Leroy
02-25-2011, 12:15 AM
If the question was directed to me, I would want a GM who understands chemistry and a coach who has a solid system and the ability to have his players follow it

They are playing great right now. Kind of makes me think it was more chemistry that was the issue more than the coach. At the same time, though, this is about the same time of the year the Leafs always pick it up. I would love to see a new coach next season, though. Hard to argue with what you said.

_daynzy
02-25-2011, 07:02 AM

pretty sure wilson has a good system and knows how to make his players follow it.. his 1300+ wins didn't come from being a bad coach with a crappy system

Oscar_Leroy
02-25-2011, 07:35 AM
pretty sure wilson has a good system and knows how to make his players follow it.. his 1300+ wins didn't come from being a bad coach with a crappy system

Even the best coaches can lose a team, though.

_daynzy
02-25-2011, 01:22 PM
That's implying that they had a team to begin with. Give him time and he'll work his magic.

Oscar_Leroy
02-25-2011, 07:38 PM
That's implying that they had a team to begin with. Give him time and he'll work his magic.

You have a really good point there.

riggs
02-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Even the best coaches can lose a team, though.

You took the words from my mouth.

_daynzy
02-26-2011, 06:53 AM
You took the words from my mouth.

How has he lost the team? The leafs haven't been a top team for how long? This is only his third year as the leafs coach. Changes don't happen over night. Firing the coach and using him as a scapegoat isn't gonna make the leafs the stanley cup champs.

riggs
02-26-2011, 08:35 AM
How has he lost the team? The leafs haven't been a top team for how long? This is only his third year as the leafs coach. Changes don't happen over night. Firing the coach and using him as a scapegoat isn't gonna make the leafs the stanley cup champs.

I never said it would make them champs and Wlison had a season and a half to make them look as though they were gelling as a team. If you have watched the Leafs play, you soon realize there's a sense of disorganization/confusion at every junction. Even a simple end zone breakout can be painful to watch.

A team can lose and still look like a competitive or organized team(show potential in system or skill) or a team can lose and look noncompetitive.

I understand you like Wilson, that's fine. But why aren't the players buying into his so called system?

_daynzy
02-26-2011, 02:36 PM
I don't care if wilson is the coach or not. A coaching change isn't going to do squat for the leafs. The leafs look non-competitive and lose because they don't have the skill.

riggs
02-26-2011, 04:09 PM
At this point the Leafs have changed everything at one point or another. Hopefully someone can structure this organization into its winning ways.

RWGR
02-27-2011, 11:38 AM
At this point the Leafs have changed everything at one point or another. Hopefully someone can structure this organization into its winning ways.

Count on it, and at the same time wave to the pig that is flying by your window.

The Leafs suck.

Period.

riggs
02-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Count on it, and at the same time wave to the pig that is flying by your window.

The Leafs suck.

Period.

I knew that pig would give me away!!

Strife
02-28-2011, 09:57 PM
Pretty uneventful trade deadline day for Leafs Nation. Only thing to report is John Mitchell was traded to the Rangers for a 7th round pick.

Super Gram
03-01-2011, 08:20 AM
It seems to me that Kessel had caught fire since Joffrey Lupil is on his line.

Strife
03-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Kessel is a sniper but he needs someone to get him the puck. He isnt a superstar like Ovechkin that can create his own plays on a nightly basis.

_daynzy
03-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Reimer = Potvin reincarnated.

italiandomino
03-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Kessel is a floater, sure he will get hot for a few games, then disappear for 15 games, that is why the Bruins didnt care to much about losing him. Sequin, knight and the Laffs first round pick this year is well worth it :)

Strife
03-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Kessel is a floater, sure he will get hot for a few games, then disappear for 15 games, that is why the Bruins didnt care to much about losing him. Sequin, knight and the Laffs first round pick this year is well worth it :)
We definitely got burned in that trade. Kessel needs someone to give him the puck and help him create space. Until that happens, he wont live up to his potential