PDA

View Full Version : Intersting Artcile

HuskyWillow
02-23-2011, 04:52 PM
http://www.spanieljournal.com/33lbaughan.html
http://www.naiatrust.org/resources/foreign_strays.htm

I found this interesting, it;s about pet overpopulation.... well underpopulation

MagicFingers
02-23-2011, 10:20 PM
I have seen this article as well and I don't care how many articles are out there that say there is not an over population those are people who have something to gain. From my own personal experience I have witnessed all to many dogs and cats who do not have homes because of poor ownership, and people who just don't care about the little ones that would need homes when their pets do what animals do (breed) it is irresponsible to allow your animal to breed with little regard to where those animals are going to go afterward.

In just seven years, one cat and its first litter of kittens can produce more than 420,000 unwanted cats if pet owners don't spay and neuter their pets. So it is inconceivable to ever believe that there is an underpopulation. One unfixed dog and its first litter of puppies can produce up to 67,000 unwanted dogs in a six-year period.

I dare anyone who believes there is an underpopulation to then first go to the SPCA, TAAG and any other animal rescue or shelter groups in the area and then say there is an underpopulation of animals.

TNT
02-24-2011, 09:34 AM
anyone who thinks we have any kind of animal shortage, needs to share whatever drugs they are on.

animal lover
02-24-2011, 04:11 PM
you're right magic amd TNT.
Take a look at how many unwanted cats we have right here in the Sault!

We have hundreds of cats looking for homes. That article is so wrong. We really do not need people who let their animals get pregnant and then dump them at TAAG or the Humane Society.

HuskyWillow
02-24-2011, 10:19 PM
This is why Is aid ti was "interesting" there is no such as a "pet underpopulation" nor do I think there ever will be. The only pet underpopulation in my opinion is that not enough animals get adopted from shelters. One person I showed this to said" It's true, it's backed up by hard evidence" my response was "If someone makes up a fact to prove the sky is green will you believe it?"
"Well no but you can see that the sky isn't green" Me- "Then go see all the shelters that are euthanizing animals as young as a year because they can't find them a home"

Which brings me to another question, does our shelter euthanize?

TNT
02-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Oh yes our shelter most def does.
TAAG doesnt, but our shelter does.

MagicFingers
02-25-2011, 01:04 PM
I agree our shelter does euthanize I volunteered there once upon a time and once a week the special room was used.

lk_wicked
03-13-2011, 03:59 AM
TAAG does not believe in euthanizing an animal just because it does not have a home. TAAG however has had animals euthanized when they are injured so severely, that keeping them alive would only be cruelty. Or when they are in their old age and develop ailments where they are suffering and there is no cure. We have rehabilitated cats that are feral with many success stories and those cats are now in loving homes. We do checks on the cats that are adopted, with a phone call to make sure the cat and the new pet owner have adjusted to one another and things are going well. We have taken cats back, when the new owner changes their mind and does not want the pet afterall. So to answer your question, huskywillow, sometimes we have to euthanize because of the animal's condition. But never, ever, if the cat is just homeless. We have had a great start to 2011, in that the many of the cats that have been adopted, have been shelter cats who have been with us for 2 years or so. I hope that answers that question and I look forward to meeting you tomorrow.