PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of value

NewCasa
02-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Hey. My son has left the country and left me with his computer and instructions to sell it. He gave me a number but said I should really check it out as to what it's worth. Here's the specs I was able to get off the computer itself. If anyone's got opinions I'm all ears. I really don't care what people would do to improve on it or anything - just the value:

Silencer 750w PS
Nvidia GForce 9800 GX video
Asus Maximus II Formula motherboard
2x2gb Mushkin <M Enhanced XP2 - 8500 memory
Swiftech ROHS cooling system
Antec 900 case
Supreme FX X-FI Audio
Zalman ZM-MFC2 controller
Super Writemaster read/write dvd
Seagate 80gb SATA hard drive (some kind of rippin fast thing for the OS only)

I'm honestly not sure what processor it's got but it'll be something equivalent to the parts above.

Thanks!

Upper Decker
02-26-2011, 11:01 AM
So far Id suggest about 400 or so plus the cost of processor tacked on would be about whats it worth. Im assuming it would have a quad core processor in it given the money spent on the rest of the parts when that platform was alive.

NewCasa
02-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Hey UD - thanks for the input. The computer's been down for several months - drained of water. How would you get it back up and running? My son said something about flushing out the cooling system?

Upper Decker
02-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Watercooled as well, thats a different story altogether. First you would have to prime the pump eith a spray bottle, then fill the resevoir up until its full, fire up the machine for a few seconds while that fluid fills the rest of the components, shut it off and repeat until the resevoir stays full.

Id tack on another 100 - 150 depending on the parts in the loop. If you look at my updated antec 300 thread, you should be able to get an idea of whats what and how it works for the loop. If he did his homework , it shouldnt vary too much from mine.

Also forgot to mention, dont use anything for coolant but pure distilled water in it, unless it came with a water additive (eg: swiftech hydrx or fesser anti something or other)

NewCasa
02-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks UD. Knowing my son he'll have it set up extremely well - he's pretty good with this stuff.

Hans
02-27-2011, 03:43 PM
I would say 400-450 without water cooling, 600 with water cooling.
The problem with selling such a system is going to be the fact that in it's time it was a great gaming system. Today it's still a decent gaming system, but the newer mid range systems are going to be similar in performance.
I face a similar issue if I end up selling the system in my signature.
your best bet is to try and find someone who knows something about these systems besides turning it on...