PDA

View Full Version : Guitar apps

NewCasa
03-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Getting back into guitar in the age of wireless technology. Got an iPad and a decent guitar and looking for apps for the iPad. Mostly right now I'm looking for a decent tuner app, but also for any others that seem interesting. Here's what I've found so far:

- Tab Toolkit - makes a sort of digital songbook by pulling tabs off the big tab sites. This way your iPad would replace the big binders of sheet music, etc.
- Guitar Lab - provides lessons in various types of music.
- iRig - I believe this requires their proprietary cable, but not sure. Plugs the iPad / iPod/ iPhone in between the guitar and the amp to basically become the stomp box. Probably not too stompable, but gives the effects :)
- I've found what looks like a really good tuner called Cleartune, however it looks like it's only available on the American app store and I don't want to buy there just now.
- Also looking for an app that will teach me how to play any chords I don't know, but need to know for certain tunes.

Anyone else been looking into this?

Blunt
03-16-2011, 06:04 PM
I learned chords just by researching the different chords online, then practicing them from the website's basic tabs

New songs that I don't learn by ear, I'll use GuitarPro to learn.

I know what the low E should sound like, so I tune by ear and 5th / 7th fret harmonics (not on the B string mind you). Same for drop tuning or tuning down steps, all by ear with harmonics...

If you really need something, spend $10 on a guitar tuner and be done with it :P

NewCasa
03-16-2011, 06:32 PM
I learned chords just by researching the different chords online, then practicing them from the website's basic tabs

New songs that I don't learn by ear, I'll use GuitarPro to learn.

I know what the low E should sound like, so I tune by ear and 5th / 7th fret harmonics (not on the B string mind you). Same for drop tuning or tuning down steps, all by ear with harmonics...

If you really need something, spend $10 on a guitar tuner and be done with it :P

Nah the tuner's just a small point - what I'm really looking for is some kind of app that will manage tabs. When you go through tabs they'll often have 30 or more for the same song so you need to go through them and find the one that you like best. I used to print them and put them in a binder, but I'd rather manage them electronically.

As far as tuning, when I learned how to play I used a tuning fork and started with the high A, working back from there at the fifth frets. Even at my advanced age I still have no trouble tuning by ear, but like everything else I'd like to automate the process :)