PDA

View Full Version : Petoskey?

lynys
03-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Anything that would be of interest to myself or my husband there?

And by that, I mean shopping. ;)

8th
03-11-2011, 09:39 PM
go a little furthur to traverse city JMO

NewCasa
03-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Petoskey is cool and so is Harbour Springs, which is on the other side of the bad - about 10-15 minutes away. Traverse city is maybe a bit better as far as shopping goes.

H.E. Pennypacker
03-11-2011, 10:32 PM
depends if you want to go to chain stores or nice local shops..

the only chain stores in petoskey are lowes, home depot, office max, walmart, meijer, joanne, mc sports, kmart, pier 1, glens, etc..

NewCasa
03-11-2011, 11:12 PM
depends if you want to go to chain stores or nice local shops..

the only chain stores in petoskey are lowes, home depot, office max, walmart, meijer, joanne, mc sports, kmart, pier 1, glens, etc..

And then there's the 100 or more nice local shops downtown....

ssmarie
03-12-2011, 12:07 AM
gaylord for shopping

everywoman
03-12-2011, 12:30 AM
gaylord for shopping

I heard this as well. Although for atmosphere, Petosky and Charlevoix etc, are way cuter.

H.E. Pennypacker
03-12-2011, 12:55 PM
And then there's the 100 or more nice local shops downtown....

definitely, that's the main reason we go there.

kitca
03-12-2011, 01:32 PM
i do like traverse city better, but petoskey is closer. we stayed in petoskey and took the old highway to gaylord, only about 20 minutes that way. it depends on what you like shopping for. i would be happy for a weekend in petoskey & gaylord and also one in traverse city.

Mimi
03-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Petosky's Walmart looked pretty big when I drove through the town a few years ago. There is a Hampton Inn right beside it - they are awesome hotels with free big breakfast and cushy beds with duvets. Another thing you can do from Petsoky is drive back along Lake Michigan - Lakeshore Drive to Wilderness Park and see how all the rich people live by the beach.

Blunt
03-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Never been to either place personally, sounds like Petoskey is mostly boutique stores... Does Gaylord have more outlet stores?

dancingqueen
03-12-2011, 01:51 PM
hehehe you said gay lord... hehehe

ssmarie
03-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Gaylord has a new Walmart supercentr, Big Lots, Dress Barn, Payless, Kohl's, TJMax, a huge craft store and Meijer plus tons of great local shops downtown. A bit further than Petosky but closer than TC - I rarely go to TC anymore - do the Gaylord trip in a day

kitca
03-12-2011, 02:47 PM
petoskey has lots of those big stores. lowes, a big joanne crafts, goodwill, some big futniture store. the only thing they dont have in gaylord or petoskey is a michaels crafts, but gaylord has a hobby lobby and its pretty cool! you can download 50% off coupons from their website. oh, and there is no menards either.

RWGR
03-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Petosky's Walmart looked pretty big when I drove through the town a few years ago. There is a Hampton Inn right beside it - they are awesome hotels with free big breakfast and cushy beds with duvets. Another thing you can do from Petsoky is drive back along Lake Michigan - Lakeshore Drive to Wilderness Park and see how all the rich people live by the beach.

That portion of Petoskey is one of the wealthiest areas in the U.S., per capita.

Very surreal to see the multi-multi-millionaires nestled among the relative backwards-ness of northern Michigan. I like to take a trip down there every summer just to see how rich I'll never be.

kitca
03-13-2011, 12:42 PM
That portion of Petoskey is one of the wealthiest areas in the U.S., per capita.

Very surreal to see the multi-multi-millionaires nestled among the relative backwards-ness of northern Michigan. I like to take a trip down there every summer just to see how rich I'll never be.

when they were building those condos on the bluffs they had model homes to tour. we toured several of them, just amazing to see how i will never live. and they said alot of those were going as vacation properties to be used 2 weeks of the year. i wonder how many of them are?

the other thing we like to do is ride our bikes around bayshore(?) the really old gingerbread community. and to eat lunch in the restraunt at the hotel and look through all the rooms after. each one is decorated differently and all done in antiques.

RWGR
03-13-2011, 12:45 PM
I was able to get a close look at the house of a guy who owns many of the Burger Kings in Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana. We park cars in our garages up here, he parked one of his many planes outside his home on the water. His guesthouse was bigger and more luxurious than 99% of the houses I've ever been in.

Bill Nash
03-13-2011, 01:01 PM
I could never understand how people could whine about money being tight at times, and at the same time, go "shopping" out of town. To spend money for the sake of spending money is irresponsible. What values are we setting for our youth when we flippantly travel to places like Petosky to simply "shop"?

"Shopping" at home keeps money in our community and supports the businesses that keep our youth and our friends employed.

When people complain that they aren't in a position to retire because their "nest-egg" isn't big enough to support a retired life, think about the thousands of dollars wasted by "shopping" in places like Petosky. Ask yourself this, ..... ten years from now, will my shopping trip to Petosky have left an impression in my life that is irreplaceable? If the answer is no, then save your money and put it into an retirement fund, ... you will enjoy retirement a lot more, .... I do. If your answer is "yes", then you lead a pretty meaningless life.

RWGR
03-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Holy Over-Analyzation, Batman!

icecapp
03-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Holy Over-Analyzation, Batman!

You took the words right out of my mouth.

lynys
03-13-2011, 06:57 PM
I could never understand how people could whine about money being tight at times, and at the same time, go "shopping" out of town. To spend money for the sake of spending money is irresponsible. What values are we setting for our youth when we flippantly travel to places like Petosky to simply "shop"?

"Shopping" at home keeps money in our community and supports the businesses that keep our youth and our friends employed.

When people complain that they aren't in a position to retire because their "nest-egg" isn't big enough to support a retired life, think about the thousands of dollars wasted by "shopping" in places like Petosky. Ask yourself this, ..... ten years from now, will my shopping trip to Petosky have left an impression in my life that is irreplaceable? If the answer is no, then save your money and put it into an retirement fund, ... you will enjoy retirement a lot more, .... I do. If your answer is "yes", then you lead a pretty meaningless life.

For starters... no one in my household complains about money issues. My bills are paid, I have money in the bank, and food on my table.

Secondly, the shopping here sucks. I am 7 months pregnant, and you know what I have found for pregnant people to wear? My husbands sweatshirts. Ohhh! I be stylin! Walmart had some dress pants I could wear, but they are actually too big for me, and require me to pull them up after about 10 steps. Oh, they also had a couple of shirts I could pull off for work, but that was pretty much the extent of it.

And, the "boutique" shops, are kinda pricey. Not looking to spend a fortune on clothing here at home, when I can go on one last getaway with my husband before our daughter is born, and spend a bit of money on nice clothes while I'm gone.

So, we took some advice and took a trip to Gaylord. Thank you very much. Kohl's was pretty much a dream come true for this pregnant lady. Now, I can wear my husbands shirts round the house and go out without looking like a total slob. :D

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Talk about going off the deep end for the sake of some people going on a vacation and doing some shopping. First of all, going to places like these is a getaway of sorts and secondly the shopping sucks here and we literally save hundreds of dollars in the States which pays for our little getaways. Send us all to the gallows for living a little ffs lol

everywoman
03-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Glad you had a good time!

Bill Nash
03-13-2011, 07:23 PM
For starters... no one in my household complains about money issues. My bills are paid, I have money in the bank, and food on my table.

Secondly, the shopping here sucks. I am 7 months pregnant, and you know what I have found for pregnant people to wear? My husbands sweatshirts. Ohhh! I be stylin! Walmart had some dress pants I could wear, but they are actually too big for me, and require me to pull them up after about 10 steps. Oh, they also had a couple of shirts I could pull off for work, but that was pretty much the extent of it.

And, the "boutique" shops, are kinda pricey. Not looking to spend a fortune on clothing here at home, when I can go on one last getaway with my husband before our daughter is born, and spend a bit of money on nice clothes while I'm gone.

So, we took some advice and took a trip to Gaylord. Thank you very much. Kohl's was pretty much a dream come true for this pregnant lady. Now, I can wear my husbands shirts round the house and go out without looking like a total slob. :D

Selfishly living for today, .... I am sure you will have second thoughts 20 years from now when you grow up to be a big girl.........

Add
03-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Watch your step up there on that high platform you put yourself on.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Selfishly living for today, .... I am sure you will have second thoughts 20 years from now when you grow up to be a big girl.........

Yes because going to Petoskey was soooooooo selfish. I think we should schedule a confession with a priest. Get a grip lol

8th
03-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Yes because going to Petoskey was soooooooo selfish. I think we should schedule a confession with a priest. Get a grip lol actually it sounds like he is gripping it, only too tight LOL

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 10:03 PM
His package?

8th
03-13-2011, 10:06 PM
exactly

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Scandalous...

Blunt
03-13-2011, 10:08 PM

Just because you screwed up your life doesn't mean other people will necessarily screw up theirs'.

You're angry about your own circumstances, and that's fine, but try not to take it out on others. :)

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Sounds like someone never likes to have any fun lol

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Just because you screwed up your life doesn't mean other people will necessarily screw up theirs'.

You're angry about your own circumstances, and that's fine, but try not to take it out on others. :)

Well he should start a poll to see how many people think it is SELFISH to go on a vacation. Then start a second poll to see who give's a rats @ss what his opinion is lol

Blunt
03-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Sounds like someone never likes to have any fun lol

Well, I'm sure he likes to have fun. He just doesn't want to spend money to do it.
And really, that's fair, because I mean, it doesn't cost him anything to make children cry so he can drink their tears.

"Mwah HA HA HA HAAAA! Your tears feed my soul!!!"

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Well I have read some pretty messed up comments on here before but his takes the cake for sure. I guess its true what I say all the time.... Lunacy is a fickle b-itch lol

Evil Monkey
03-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Was there Old Navy in Petosky? We are going to Traverse City this week and are looking for an Old Navy and Kohl's.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 11:15 PM
You selfish Bahstad

Evil Monkey
03-13-2011, 11:18 PM
You selfish Bahstad

Yeah I know I am very selfish and for that I apologize..lol

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 11:19 PM
You should. Your children will regret this decision for years to come and will learn to resent you!!

Evil Monkey
03-13-2011, 11:23 PM
You guys have to remember though that I do not work for Canada Post and am also good and finances, budgeting and investing so I think 20 years from now I will be alright..LOL

Luv to be on the GO
03-13-2011, 11:27 PM
EM...Your going to be sorry ..when you retire !!!!!!!
and you spent all that money in Petoskey/Traverse City

You will find Both Old Navy (And Kohl`s in T.C.)
Very close to each other !!! Enjoy
But give some thought to your Retirment !!!!!LOL

lynys
03-13-2011, 11:29 PM

Holy... someone is cranky today.

This "big girl" very much enjoyed her vacation, and in 20 years, will be grateful to have taken it. I'll call you though next time I decide to go away and make sure to get your input on it. I was thinking of seeing the world, but lord knows, I wouldn't want to enjoy my life before I die.

Evil Monkey
03-13-2011, 11:30 PM
I have actually been spending a lot of my money in the USA lately. The savings are pretty good and just what I have been saving on fuel the last year or so will pay for our family vacation next year. Obviously retired mail men don't know much about finances.

Evil Monkey
03-13-2011, 11:32 PM
I don't have any money for any shopping trips, poor me in 20 years.

You're still young Peety. Apply to Canada Post, start delivering mail, only spend all your money in our city and never leave and you will be just fine in 20 years.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 11:33 PM
I base all my life decisions on what sooneters tell me !! lol

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 11:33 PM
You're still young Peety. Apply to Canada Post, start delivering mail, only spend all your money in our city and never leave and you will be just fine in 20 years.

Just buy a rock and hide under it lol

Evil Monkey
03-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Just buy a rock and hide under it lol

You are going to be in big trouble then..LOL

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 11:36 PM
You are going to be in big trouble then..LOL

You are going to be in big trouble when you go away this weekend. It's child abuse!!

Evil Monkey
03-13-2011, 11:38 PM
You are going to be in big trouble when you go away this weekend. It's child abuse!!

Don't forget to add fiscal irresponsibility to that allegation and maybe treason?

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Don't forget to add fiscal irresponsibility to that allegation and maybe treason?

Never take financial advice from a donkey

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 11:39 PM

The Department Of Homeland Security will have a say in this..

Evil Monkey
03-13-2011, 11:41 PM
The Department Of Homeland Security will have a say in this..

I am awaiting their correspondence as I wrote to them prior to my mini vacation to make sure it was okay with them. I am hoping my other vacation I just got back from will not affect their decision to let me go.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Riverview is not a vacation

dancingqueen
03-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Aaaaaand, If you spend your money outside of this community before having your nest egg prepared, you also drown kittens, kick puppies and worship Satan.

Evil Monkey
03-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Riverview is not a vacation

That was this past week. I was talking about my 2 week Caribbean vacation we just returned from.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 11:44 PM
That was this past week. I was talking about my 2 week Caribbean vacation we just returned from.

2 weeks? Away from the country? Scandalous and blasphemous beyond all belief. I never get to go anywhere!!

Evil Monkey
03-13-2011, 11:45 PM
2 weeks? Away from the country? Scandalous and blasphemous beyond all belief. I never get to go anywhere!!

Yes now it will only take 10 years for me to pay for my actions and be sorry.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Yes now it will only take 10 years for me to pay for my actions and be sorry.

Eternal damnation for you

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 11:47 PM
My vacation was for business reasons as I was conducting very serious business discussions with Castro on the behalf of Lucifer...

Evil Monkey
03-13-2011, 11:50 PM
I was on business too. Felipe Calderon is one of my business associates.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
03-13-2011, 11:51 PM
I was on business too. Felipe Calderon is one of my business associates.

So is Putana Stugots

everywoman
03-14-2011, 01:40 AM
I don't actually see what the problem is, in spending money shopping in the states. If people go on vacation and enjoy themselves once in awhile, how can that be so damaging to our economy? The Soo is not the be all and end all. I prefer to spread my wings a bit, and enjoy life outside the city limits from time to time. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be kicking my ass in 20 yrs for doing so.

kitca
03-14-2011, 12:14 PM
have you noticed the difference in sales staff in petoskey/traverse city vs our fair city? my daughter commented on how nice everyone was down there, how friendly and she felt bad if she didnt buy something from them! thats good salesmanship that we should be taking lessons on.

dancingqueen
03-14-2011, 01:31 PM
That's because we think we are this super nice and polite city that does not need to take manners lessons from other people...

NewCasa
03-14-2011, 03:33 PM
That's because we think we are this super nice and polite city that does not need to take manners lessons from other people...

Nah - it's because most soonet trolls work retail :)