View Full Version : Need info!

03-19-2011, 10:36 PM
I 'm at my wits end here as to the treatment i've recieved to date,i have major health issues and am not able to get any results or testing on certain areas of concern.At present my doctor has elduded from doing any testing on major health concerns!to me I'm thinking of getting a referral to a health specialist (hopefully it can be used in any hospital) in ontario at least! i was thinking of going to Sudbury and trying to see a specialist dealing with the issue(s).I hear i might be reimburssed x amount of total dollars spend on that endeavour?? I have grape size growths that reappear periodioccally on both sides of my legs..they are soft to to touch yet when squeezed are hard and hurt like a pimple being squished.Once pierced should i squeeze hard enough will be visble up to 9 mths.They opening will be the size of a dime.I dress the wound each night.I can go on and on about other concerns...but..for now my comcern is money: having none or next to that,need,to know where to go with my comcerns,can i be reimburssed,are there any organizations to appeal to for sponsor-ship.I have Rheumatiod Arthritis,and my immune system is eating all the cartilage at a fast rate of time on my joints,lost 60 ils in three mths,always infections with two sets of penecillin back to back each time a bout comes on.Please help if sounds familar.For the others who want to be political correct..or a pain.Thanks in advance and YOU know where you can hang your hat!

03-20-2011, 12:13 AM
I think you can only apply for the northern travel grant if you are referred by a local Dr., I could be wrong.

03-20-2011, 01:20 AM
Have you tried going to the ER at the hospital for a second opinion? They can refer you to a specialist from the hospital. Have you been tested for MRSA bacteria?

03-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Go to the ER and get yourself refered to a specialist in Southern Ontario. Then ask for Northern Travel Grant papers. This will cover for Toronto about $650 and London is about $750. So, if you think that will cover enough of the costs for going down there to get everything looked at then that's the way to go. Note though you don't get that money back until a month or two after you get back. Those things on your legs sound like boils which I've seen before. My dad had one on his back which had to be lanced and completely cleaned out once every 6 months...Hope you get better soon.

03-20-2011, 09:11 AM
send me pm and will give you some information about a good place to go in TO.

03-20-2011, 10:12 AM
No as far as i've been tested for near every-thing mrsa has not been mentioned! Looking to get a referral for a specialist,and...hopefully can be used out of town!

03-20-2011, 11:54 AM
My Father in law suffered from 'boil' like leisons on his legs, it turned out to be a food allergy. He was allergic to dairy products.
My Brother in law will get the same kind of thing if he eats oatmeal. Seems like a strange way for the reaction to manifest but not unheard of.
Perhaps you could try a naturalpath and see if its possible it could be food related?

03-21-2011, 01:10 PM
My husband gets something similar as well - he actually went to see a dermatologist a couple years ago and was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Believe it or not, the skin problem was related to the disease. The dermatologist told him lots of digestive disorders manifest on the skin.

03-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Wrangler, that sounds terrible!
It seems unique to doctors in this city that it's easy for them to pass off something as "wait and see" when it's not them suffering, My friend has the same issue with her doctor (totally different condition) but she's been in constant pain since she was young, back problems mostly, as well as .... women problems. "let's wait and see" ever stupid. Like many have suggested, If you can get a referral to a specialist, you can get a travel grant. Otherwise, you are footing the bill to go out of town. As far as I know, you cannot get this travel grant for a general doctor, has to be a referral that is not available in town. This sounds painful and irritating though, If you can afford it, I'd consider going to another doctor regardless... maybe even across the river.

03-21-2011, 01:45 PM
The united way should be able to direct you to a local agency that deals with it. The name of the program eludes me right now, but the united way itself does help with some medical expenses.

03-22-2011, 08:19 PM
try to get a referral and a Northern Travel Grant to go to Lockwood Clinic in T.O., be prepared to stay for a few days

03-29-2011, 09:44 PM
sometimes you have to take things into your own hands too. scour the internet looking for similar situations. bring these to your dr. if you think you need to go for a referral insist on it. it is our right to have a 2nd opinion - even in sault ste marie!

05-02-2011, 01:56 PM
You can apply to local charity organizations such as the Fraternal Order of Eagles ladies Auxilliary or you can try the Moose hall, the Legion, Royal Purple. I know the Eagles and the Royal Purple does a lot of donating for things such as that.