PDA

View Full Version : what is up with my cats?

TNT
03-29-2011, 09:43 AM
I have an old cat I got from the HS, he was morbidly obese when I got him. Nothing's changed, but we adopted a cat from taag awile back. He was thin (like a normal cat) he too is now extremely fat and getting fatter.
Ive done diet food(they just eat more of it), why are my cats so damn fat? Is it somthing Im doing wrong? How do you get indoor cats exercise? They're too lazy to play.

TNT
03-29-2011, 09:50 AM
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79/tntdanes/fb.jpg
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79/tntdanes/fbj.jpg

Luv'inLife
03-29-2011, 09:58 AM
take away their remote controls,lol

hobo
03-29-2011, 10:10 AM
If they eat a kibble type food you could make a box that has small holes in it which would force the cat to work for they food instead of just walking up to the food trough.

HDV
03-29-2011, 11:14 AM
what are your kittys names? One of them looks like my grandmothers cat that we had to give up for adoption after my gramma passed away. His name was Tony.

CANDY_74
03-29-2011, 02:07 PM
awww....but look at them!
They look like very content and happy cats :)

Dragonfly
03-29-2011, 03:59 PM
take away their remote controls,lol

haha stole the words right out of my mouth!

kitca
03-29-2011, 09:37 PM
omg!!! they have such a good life, look them! they are so happy. so, about the food, i dont know. sorry. but those are great pics of your babies. who did you adopt from taag?

HuskyWillow
03-29-2011, 10:36 PM
They eat all their food and fast, intimidated by the dogs haha, then again my dog was scared of my cat when he just a kitten but he was a monster
Are they free fed? My cat was free fed before, all he would do it eat and sleep in the window. I took him off free feeding and he lost like 5 pounds. I like cats fatter anyways, nothing looks cuter than a huge cat hahaha

kitca
03-30-2011, 08:31 AM
but they still need to be healthy. if they are too fat it puts pressure on their joints just like a human. also they are not able to properly groom themselves. too fat is not healthy for them.
i have had lots of cats and i have fostered lots of cats. one thing i have found is that despite eating the same foods and gettting the same amount of exercise some get fat while others stay slim. i wonder how much genetics plays in that!
i have also noticed that usually a starved animal will always be a starved animal and will continue eating like they were still going to starve at any minute.

HuskyWillow
03-30-2011, 10:43 PM
but they still need to be healthy. if they are too fat it puts pressure on their joints just like a human. also they are not able to properly groom themselves. too fat is not healthy for them.
i have had lots of cats and i have fostered lots of cats. one thing i have found is that despite eating the same foods and gettting the same amount of exercise some get fat while others stay slim. i wonder how much genetics plays in that!
i have also noticed that usually a starved animal will always be a starved animal and will continue eating like they were still going to starve at any minute.
Don't worry I knew that, I'm by no means saying get your cat morbidly obese because it's cute.

TNT
04-01-2011, 05:24 PM
yes they are free fed, and all they do , do is...well....eat and sleep in my bed. They definately arent scared of the dogs, Jethro (from TAAG) boxes with Tink, and EVERYDOG is scared of fat bruce! lol
We have tried taking the food away, but fat bruce just SCREAMS and stalks me all day.
I know they're perfectly happy being fat and lazy, but I worry they'll get diabetes or somthing. :(

I dunno, maybe Ill start feeding them raw mice! They'll have to chase their dinner! LMAO they'd starve! lol

SooPets
04-02-2011, 10:46 PM
I adopted a kitty who looks just like yours last fall. This young mother cat, after her kittens were adopted, started compulsively eating and got quite rolly polly. I stopped free-feeding her and now she engages in more play with the other cats here, so she is slowly getting lighter.
http://members.shaw.ca/soopets/BirdyDec10.jpg

Amaranth
04-03-2011, 12:37 AM
We have had our cat for seven years and he has always been obese. We take him to the vet, we monitor what he eats but he has always been the same size. So far he is healthy for a ten year old cat but we are pretty worried about his health!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/chaoticchick/168940_495068268742_514388742_6150790_7721882_n.jp g

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/chaoticchick/uncaleo.jpg

This last one gives an idea of how big he really is. Compared to our five month old Shih tzu he is enormous. :o

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/chaoticchick/IMG00687-20110114-1343.jpg

alecat10
04-04-2011, 07:16 PM
What type of food are you feeding them... read the label! Is there corn wheat and gluetan...this will make em fat. Check out grain free food at the pet stores!
I have an old cat I got from the HS, he was morbidly obese when I got him. Nothing's changed, but we adopted a cat from taag awile back. He was thin (like a normal cat) he too is now extremely fat and getting fatter.
Ive done diet food(they just eat more of it), why are my cats so damn fat? Is it somthing Im doing wrong? How do you get indoor cats exercise? They're too lazy to play.

TNT
04-05-2011, 10:31 AM
What type of food are you feeding them... read the label! Is there corn wheat and gluetan...this will make em fat. Check out grain free food at the pet stores!

Thankyou, I really dont know alot about cats. I'll look into that.

TNT
04-05-2011, 10:32 AM
All your cats are beautiful and...fat. LOL

Super Gram
04-11-2011, 08:44 AM
We get our pet food from Pet Valu.....all good things in it

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2294/maggiesleeping.jpg

Jst4u
04-27-2011, 10:43 PM
I know this thread is old but I thought I should add that you need to be careful with grain free food for cats. Orijen, for example, has been known to cause I believe it was kidney failure. Also, the protien and fat percentages are astronomically higher than say Purina and could cause the cat to just get even fatter.

I have a not so fat but pleasantly plump tuxedo male. He's on Chicken Soup Adult. It's a good quality food, no garbage but not too high in fat. I'd say switch foods and suck it up and do meals. Maybe even split up a restricted amount into 3-4 meals per day so s/he never feels famished lol

zoo crew
04-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Hello Jst4u, you may have remembered that my cats both died from Liver failure and they happened to be on Orijen. Our vet did confirm that the higher levels of protein in these foods can lead to things like liver failure. It all depends on the cat. Some cats process the protein better then others. My girls that passed were 2 and 3. So anyone who is looking into switching their pet foods, please make sure that the protein levels aren't too high. I'm not knocking high quality pet foods because I have my cats on Taste of the Wild but Orijen just didn't work for our family.

I know this thread is old but I thought I should add that you need to be careful with grain free food for cats. Orijen, for example, has been known to cause I believe it was kidney failure. Also, the protien and fat percentages are astronomically higher than say Purina and could cause the cat to just get even fatter.

I have a not so fat but pleasantly plump tuxedo male. He's on Chicken Soup Adult. It's a good quality food, no garbage but not too high in fat. I'd say switch foods and suck it up and do meals. Maybe even split up a restricted amount into 3-4 meals per day so s/he never feels famished lol

Jst4u
04-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Yeah I had my boy on Taste of the Wild for awhile. He was gaining a bit of weight so I switched him to Chicken Soup. Go with whatever works for your feline, but be aware of the protein levels, for sure!

I've always found it odd that most people are SO concerned with the proper, healthy food to feed their dogs...then turn around and feed their cat Whiskas/Special Kitty/Purina? Cats need proper nutrition, too.

Super Gram
05-01-2011, 02:44 AM
What is chicken soup and where do you buy it?

TNT
05-01-2011, 10:29 AM
"chicken soup for the cat lovers soul" also available in the dog. You can buy it at pet valu. :)

Super Gram
05-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Thats where I get my cat's food

lk_wicked
05-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Try a quality food like royal canin sold at Pet Valu, or ask them to suggest a food for indoor less active cats, the vet told me, they should not get more then 3 quarter cup of food a day. so measure, break up the food into three sections, so that they do not eat it all in one sitting and feeding them morning, supper and before you go to bed, in case they eat at night. The next day, if there is food left over, put it back in the measuring cup and still only allow them 3 quarter cup of food for that day. you can section it into whatever works best for you. the goal is simply that they shouldnt need more then the 3 quarter cups of food in a 24 hour time period.

i chase mine and tap her butt with my foot and turn and run from her and she chases me around the house. when she isnt willing to play, i rough up her fur and bug her till she gets mad, lol and then run and she chases me. sometimes it is the only thing that works. she loves ribbons and she plays tag and hide and seek with us, when i can get her moving. lol bring boxes home and make her forts, tease her with strings in it, it doesnt matter how she moves even if its justs jumping or pouncing, as long as she is moving, its progress.

good luck

i like pet valu on second line best. the girls are so friendly and helpful there.

TNT
05-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Try a quality food like royal canin sold at Pet Valu, or ask them to suggest a food for indoor less active cats, the vet told me, they should not get more then 3 quarter cup of food a day. so measure, break up the food into three sections, so that they do not eat it all in one sitting and feeding them morning, supper and before you go to bed, in case they eat at night. The next day, if there is food left over, put it back in the measuring cup and still only allow them 3 quarter cup of food for that day. you can section it into whatever works best for you. the goal is simply that they shouldnt need more then the 3 quarter cups of food in a 24 hour time period.

i chase mine and tap her butt with my foot and turn and run from her and she chases me around the house. when she isnt willing to play, i rough up her fur and bug her till she gets mad, lol and then run and she chases me. sometimes it is the only thing that works. she loves ribbons and she plays tag and hide and seek with us, when i can get her moving. lol bring boxes home and make her forts, tease her with strings in it, it doesnt matter how she moves even if its justs jumping or pouncing, as long as she is moving, its progress.

good luck

i like pet valu on second line best. the girls are so friendly and helpful there.

2nd line PV is the best! They're sweethearts!! And they did hook me up with some diet food btw. Cats are still fat.....but at least Im trying LOL

TNT
05-28-2011, 12:06 PM
I piss my cats off regularily too...but they dont chase me...they just hide in the closet LMAO But hey youll be hapy to know our taag cats are well fed!!! LOL Jeffery (formerly known as Jethro) Has began enjoying our outdoor weather and pooping in our flower garden quite regularily. LOL

SarahMac
05-28-2011, 01:24 PM
The lady who runs the Second Line PV just bought the one in the Cambrian Mall too. Though we do still drive across town to the one on Second Line, haha.

TNT
05-29-2011, 08:28 PM
The lady who runs the Second Line PV just bought the one in the Cambrian Mall too. Though we do still drive across town to the one on Second Line, haha.

Oh really??? I didnt know that right on!