PDA

View Full Version : Mac Help??

everywoman
04-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Does anyone have a recommendation for someone to take a look at my Macbook? There are some things going on that I don't know how to fix. I'd prefer someone who deals specifically with Apple products.

Thanks in advance!

8th
04-05-2011, 05:04 PM
http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa sorry, other than that I can't help

everywoman
04-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the link. I think I need someone to actually lay their hands on it. It got a bit of water damage a while back, and hasn't been the same since. My fault. UGH!

NewCasa
04-05-2011, 10:04 PM
MicroAge. Talk with Sam. They don't specifically do Macs only - nobody in town does - but they know what they're doing.

Water huh? Not wine?

everywoman
04-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Thanks NewCasa...and yes water! I swear.

NewCasa
04-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks NewCasa...and yes water! I swear.

Uh huh ;)

Hans
04-06-2011, 08:24 PM
I thought a Mac was a magical device and just works?
Ok, I always wanted to say that, lol.

NewCasa
04-06-2011, 08:58 PM
I thought a Mac was a magical device and just works?
Ok, I always wanted to say that, lol.

They do! But even a Mac has trouble when you pour a glass of wine, ummmm water, into the keyboard!

Note that the Mac is still working, btw. A PC would just sit there smoking......

Hans
04-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Smoking what?

NewCasa
04-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Smoking what?

Not sure, but it'd be coming out the windows.

Cher
04-07-2011, 07:33 AM
Bah ha ha...
How's your Macbook everywoman?? If anything, it'd give you an excuse to get the newest iPad if it's done?? ;)

Upper Decker
04-07-2011, 11:26 AM
They do! But even a Mac has trouble when you pour a glass of wine, ummmm water, into the keyboard!

Note that the Mac is still working, btw. A PC would just sit there smoking......

Not quite sure what your talking about lol. Just an FYI - apple is using the exact same hardware as PCs are using, so your statement makes literally no sense.At this point the onl difference between a mac and PC is the OS, and people willing to shell out obscene amounts of money for a very very limited rage of hardware.

Upper Decker
04-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Oh ya, and the only laptop I have had actually burn out and die on its own - Macbook Pro 15".

everywoman
04-07-2011, 07:53 PM
I'll take it to Microage tomorrow and get it checked out. It's working, but there are certain functions that are wonky. For example, anything I try to download as an exe won't open as an exe. It wants to open as a binary file. Therefore, I can't do any updates I need to do.

That'll teach me to put a water bottle in my laptop bag. :(

NewCasa
04-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Not quite sure what your talking about lol. Just an FYI - apple is using the exact same hardware as PCs are using, so your statement makes literally no sense.At this point the onl difference between a mac and PC is the OS, and people willing to shell out obscene amounts of money for a very very limited rage of hardware.

You non-Apple people are so elitist ;)

everywoman
04-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Hahahaha!

Upper Decker
04-08-2011, 07:54 AM
You non-Apple people are so elitist ;)

Says the person who is ignoranty bashing something based on hype.also you clearly missed the part that apple is literally no different than a pc. Just a pretty casing and idiot proof OS is the difference .

everywoman
04-08-2011, 08:01 AM
Ummm...I'm pretty sure it was a joke! Cause that's what people usually say about apple geeks like us!

NewCasa
04-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Says the person who is ignoranty bashing something based on hype.also you clearly missed the part that apple is literally no different than a pc. Just a pretty casing and idiot proof OS is the difference .

Now now. Settle down and stop taking yourself so seriously son. EW explained it the way I meant it.

Oh and while we're on it. You nailed it as well. I love the pretty casing and I'm more than qualified for an idiot proof OS ;)

KARM
04-08-2011, 10:16 AM
I'll take it to Microage tomorrow and get it checked out. It's working, but there are certain functions that are wonky. For example, anything I try to download as an exe won't open as an exe. It wants to open as a binary file. Therefore, I can't do any updates I need to do.

That'll teach me to put a water bottle in my laptop bag. :(

You're trying to open a Windows .exe file on a Mac?

I'd say you definitely have a PICNIC error there.

everywoman
04-08-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't know if PICNIC is an insult or not?? LOL. I don't know the exact right words to use. Let me try. I want to update my Java. So I go to the site that I am directed to, and have done, since owning the Mac. When I follow the steps, it says "you are trying to open a binary file". So- I know I don't want the file to open as binary. I want it to open as something else right? Maybe exe isn't the right term, but it's the equivalent no?

Also, I have to do a hard shut down(with the button), every time. I can't shut down from the menu. It restarts instead.

And...I want to download Frostwire in place of Limewire. Again, wants to open as a binary.

So, I may not be using the correct terminology, but I hope this helps.