PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about FLEAS.

Joy.D
04-12-2011, 02:39 PM
I found this online and I thought I would share it.

The problem with fleas is that they breed and multiply so quickly. How fast do fleas multiply? If your dog had a single flea, in just 2 months time, under optimal conditions, you could have more than 3 million fleas infesting your home! That's why it's so important to act quickly.
Fleas are blood-sucking parasites. And a single flea can bite your dog more than 400 times in just one day! If your dog has an allergic reaction to the proteins in flea saliva, he can develop flea allergy dermatitis, causing constant scratching, skin problems and permanent hair loss.
Fleas can also transmit dangerous and sometimes life-threatening diseases to your dog, including anemia, bacterial diseases, tapeworms and other parasites. (And if you live in the southwestern USA, fleas can even transmit the plague.)
TICKS are another common parasite. They pose serious health risks to both pets and humans, and even dogs that spend very little time outdoors are at risk. A tick bite can cause localized infection. But the most harmful effects of a tick bite include serious diseases like Lyme disease (causes painful lameness), Rocky Mountain fever, paralysis, encephalitis and anemia. And if your dog brings a tick into your home, it can attach to and feed on humans, transmitting these same diseases to the human host.
So, when should you start treatment? Well, it depends on where you live. It is best to treat your dog at the beginning of the season, before your dog and your home become infested. In some areas of the country, flea and tick season lasts about 4 months, with September often being the worst month for flea infestations. In other areas, like Florida, flea season lasts all year round. But no matter where you live, if your dog has brought fleas into your home, they can live and breed inside a warm house all year round. In fact, the Companion Animal Parasite Council (CAPC) recommends that you administer a monthly preventative flea medication all year round - so if you are not already doing this, start now.

Peety
04-14-2011, 08:14 AM
Doesn't look like any one wants to talk about fleas.
I am thankful we dont have any flea problems.

Joy.D
04-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Fleas are nasty little bugs that will feed on people as well.

They complicate your groomer's day. If you even suspect your pet may have fleas tell your groomer when you book the appointment. Your groomer does not want to risk spreading these nasty little critters to their other furry clients and will book your appointment accordingly.

Fleas are nobody's fault. Your dog could get them as simply as a stray cat walking through your yard and one hops off of him onto you lawn then your dog goes out to pee and the flea jumps onto your dog. Fleas can hitchhike home with you if you have been somewhere that there were fleas.

Fleas could cause health issues including tapeworm.