PDA

View Full Version : camera flashes

budy323
04-17-2011, 05:43 PM
I have a Canon Rebel Ti and was wondering if a flash from an older Fujica 35 mm camera can be used on my Canon It fits on the (I think it is called the hot shoe ?) on my camera and will flash --I was told that I could blow some of the inner workings on my camera if I used it so I took it off and stopped using it or do I have to stick with a Canon flash ?
I'm a novice at this and just learning the ins and outs ---Any help would be appreciated

NewCasa
04-17-2011, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't use it. When a Canon flash is on a Canon camera the two work together. The camera knows what flash is on it and the specs of that particular flash so it will set up the aperture and shutter according to the capabilities of the flash. The best that you'll get with a non-Canon flash is that your pictures probably won't turn out very well. The worst will be that it could damage either the camera or the flash. I'd say the most likely thing is that the camera just won't run with a non-Canon flash on it.

budy323
04-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks Newcasa that helps

KARM
04-20-2011, 10:43 AM
NewCasa is absolutely correct, I'm just going to add a few things.

Some older flashes work at a higher voltage than new ones and can actually cause damage to the camera if you use them. There is something called a safe-sync adapter that goes in between them, think of it like a breaker box between the two. It takes the higher voltage and makes sure the camera isn't damaged.

If you did use the flash it will only work in manual mode, which is fine if that is what you were used to with film. If you can still do the Guide Number calculations in your head and have the Inverse Square Law memorized then that's fine, otherwise do yourself a favour and buy a current flash that is made for your specific camera brand. Because they "talk" to your camera the flash knows how far away the subject is (because of the info sent to it from the autofocus of the camera) and knows what settings your camera is at and puts out just enough power to light everything perfectly almost every time.

There's a new photo-only discussion board in the Sault at www.saultphoto.com It's just getting started but might be worth looking at as well for any questions you may have in the future.