PDA

View Full Version : Yet More Gold

RWGR
04-25-2011, 07:40 PM
The United States gained another small measure of revenge Monday for their loss to Canada in the gold-medal game at the Vancouver Olympics.

Hilary Knight scored 7:48 into overtime to give the U.S. a 3-2 win over Canada in the final of the IIHF world women's hockey championship in Zurich, Switzerland. It's the third consecutive year the Americans have won the world title, a span broken up by Canada's victory at the 2010 Olympics.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/04/25/canada-falls-to-us-in-world-final

riggs
04-25-2011, 07:59 PM
The second/tying goal scored by the Americans was a classic toe drag. Nice goal.

Bill Nash
04-26-2011, 12:17 AM
You seem to be hung up on gold medals by the men in the Olympics, so what's your point here.

Jack Butler
04-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Womens Olympic Gold Medals

Canada - 3
USA - 1

You lose!

official soonet pu$$ycat
04-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Jack bites every time. I love it.

Barry Morris
04-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Overtime goals are just about as decisive as shoot outs. Ya win the game, but all it means is that you were lucky, not better.

Jack Butler
04-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Jack bites every time. I love it.

...or is it you...sucker!

riggs
04-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Overtime goals are just about as decisive as shoot outs. Ya win the game, but all it means is that you were lucky, not better.

A shoot out is nothing like an overtime goal. Some goals are luck and others are skilled but an overtime goal is based on a team effort the other is not.

Oscar_Leroy
04-26-2011, 07:42 PM

Not the case at all. Overtime is still played as a team. One player makes a mistake and it could end the game. Also, overtime is sudden death, whereas shootout is best of three, making overtime much more exciting. You can't compare the two.

Jack Butler
04-27-2011, 08:25 PM

Look at it this way; in overtime you are actually playing hockey to determine a winner, in a shoot out you have a skills competition.
League and International play both use the shoot out which means you have to be able to do it. It has to be part of your teams skill set.
Overtime is a 20 man effort and a shoot out is the effort of one.
I have always considered luck being preparation meeting opportunity, so I can't disagree with you because that would mean they are prepared.
I do disagree with your comparison.
It's about winning. Better has more to do with what you see on paper.
When the better team loses, it doesn't make the winning team lucky, it makes them well coached!
"I'd sooner be lucky and win, than good and lose"! ;c)

Oscar_Leroy
04-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Look at it this way; in overtime you are actually playing hockey to determine a winner, in a shoot out you have a skills competition.
League and International play both use the shoot out which means you have to be able to do it. It has to be part of your teams skill set.
Overtime is a 20 man effort and a shoot out is the effort of one.
I have always considered luck being preparation meeting opportunity, so I can't disagree with you because that would mean they are prepared.
I do disagree with your comparison.
It's about winning. Better has more to do with what you see on paper.
When the better team loses, it doesn't make the winning team lucky, it makes them well coached!
"I'd sooner be lucky and win, than good and lose"! ;c)

Add to the fact that some of the best and most dramatic goals have been scored in OT and it makes the extra frame great. I love how players can seem so damn tired after extended overtime play, score a goal, and just erupt with energy afterwards. It really makes these goals special, in my opinion. Shootouts are entertaining at best. When a player finally does something out of the norm, he gets criticized for doing it.

Also, a penalty shot in OT, although rare, is one of the most exciting or dreadful moments for fans and players alike. I wish they would just get rid of the shootout alltogether.

Huggy85
05-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Conklin strong but U.S. loses shootout to Canada

KOSICE, Slovakia Former New Hampshire standout Ty Conklin made 48 saves, however, the U.S. Men's National Team fell to Canada, 4-3, in a shootout Friday in the first qualification-round game for both teams at the IIHF World Men's Championship.

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/2011/05/06_conklin_strong_but_us_loses.php

RWGR
05-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Conklin strong but U.S. loses shootout to Canada

KOSICE, Slovakia – Former New Hampshire standout Ty Conklin made 48 saves, however, the U.S. Men's National Team fell to Canada, 4-3, in a shootout Friday in the first qualification-round game for both teams at the IIHF World Men's Championship.

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/2011/05/06_conklin_strong_but_us_loses.php

This is good news, as Canada's hold on hockey has slipped precipitously lately.

Obvioulsy Canada is not the number one nation of hockey anymore, but let's hope they can at least keep their decline somewhat classy...win a tourney here and there.

Jack Butler
05-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Ha, ha, ha....not this sh*t again!
You are wrong with no proof.
The facts are of 160 players avaible to the 8 teams left in the NHL playoffs, 89 are Canadian!
That's 56% compared to all the other countries combined.
No single country even comes close...I mean it's not even a contest!
So....suck it up yank, Canada Rules the hockey world!
It's good to be KING...next!

RWGR
05-08-2011, 01:52 PM
The facts are of 106 players avaible to the 4 teams left in the NHL playoffs, 58 are Canadian!
That's 53.7%

In other words, 46.3% of the players in the playoffs right now are not Canadian. In the 70's that stat would be about 15%.

Thanks for more proof the game has passed Canada by, Jack.

Jack Butler
05-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Doesn't change the fact that Canada still rules the hockey world...read it and weep!
...the 70's...ha, ha, ha!

RWGR
05-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Doesn't change the fact that Canada still rules the hockey world...read it and weep!
...the 70's...ha, ha, ha!

Done.

Keep living in the past.

Jack Butler
05-08-2011, 07:54 PM
My facts are todays, hardly the past!
....suck it up yank!

Jack Butler
05-13-2011, 07:04 AM
So, lets look at this again.
Out of the 4 teams left, 67 out of 110 are Canadian.
That my friend is 61%, so it happens again....just like all the other years.
Like I've always said, "If you know nothing about hockey, just pick the team with the most Canadians"!
A translation won't help, cause it translates to Canadians being the top of the heap!
*YAWNS*...It's good to be KING!

RWGR
05-13-2011, 08:47 PM
A translation won't help, cause it translates to Canadians being the top of the heap!

Yes, as this so clearly shows:

Hockey Canada President Bob Nicholson said a two-year medal drought at the IIHF world hockey championship is “totally unacceptable” and will prompt a review of how his organization approaches player recruitment for this tournament.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/Hockey+Canada+boss+angered+medal+drought/4779095/story.html#ixzz1MIMGuhof

Enjoy!!! :)

Jack Butler
05-13-2011, 09:18 PM
You make such a big deal about a nothing tourney.

RWGR
05-13-2011, 09:21 PM
You make such a big deal about a nothing tourney.

This isn't about the WJC

Jack Butler
05-13-2011, 09:25 PM
I know.