PDA

View Full Version : Stopping for School Buses

jmtammi
04-29-2011, 04:52 PM
I am amazed at the amout of people who don't stop for the flashing red lights on a school bus. Just today, I watched a THREE vehicles drove past the lights as my son was getting off the bus, and one of the drivers even looked at me on the sidewalk and shrugged as he drove past. I think it might be time to get my camera out and film these people as they drive by and see how much the police will enjoy the video. For those of you out there doing this, you might want to consider the penalty:

"If you don't stop for a school bus, you can be fined $400 to $2000 and get six demerit points for a first offence. If you break the rule a second time, the pen alty is a fine of $1000 to $4000 and six demerit points. You could also go to jail for up to six months."

Is 15-20 seconds of your time and putting the life of a child/children in danger REALLY worth it?

jmtammi
04-29-2011, 05:00 PM
There's a difference between that and when the bus has been fully stopped with the arms extened and the child(ren) are already getting off the bus and someone drives by.

HDV
04-29-2011, 05:09 PM
What i dont like, is when the lights and stop sign go out before the bus stops !

Thats to get the idiots who dont stop a warning. Sorta like a yellow light...lol

HDV
04-29-2011, 05:10 PM
I am amazed at the amout of people who don't stop for the flashing red lights on a school bus. Just today, I watched a THREE vehicles drove past the lights as my son was getting off the bus, and one of the drivers even looked at me on the sidewalk and shrugged as he drove past. I think it might be time to get my camera out and film these people as they drive by and see how much the police will enjoy the video. For those of you out there doing this, you might want to consider the penalty:

"If you don't stop for a school bus, you can be fined $400 to $2000 and get six demerit points for a first offence. If you break the rule a second time, the pen alty is a fine of $1000 to $4000 and six demerit points. You could also go to jail for up to six months."

Is 15-20 seconds of your time and putting the life of a child/children in danger REALLY worth it?

i would do that same thing, take pics of the car and LP number and send them to the cops, A ticket will arrive in their mailbox (hopefully) and maybe the idiots will learn to stop.

jmtammi
04-29-2011, 05:26 PM
If it wasn't for the fact that I have to be on the same side of the road that my son gets off on, I would have done this multiple times already. Maybe I should place a call to the cops to see if they can have someone sit one block down to wait for someone to run the light.

lynys
04-29-2011, 06:08 PM
What i dont like, is when the lights and stop sign go out before the bus stops !

Why? That's a warning signal that the bus is about to stop.

*rolleyes*

b&aMom
04-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Why? That's a warning signal that the bus is about to stop.

*rolleyes*

Actually, if they do it before they stop, and then it takes several minutes for kids to even get to the front, it can really back up traffic. There's one bus on Queen, between Lake and Shannon, where this happens after 3pm. Takes a few minutes, from first flash of the lights, until they are shut off, all for one high school student that doesn't need to cross the street. Seems a bit excessive.

Barry Morris
04-29-2011, 10:31 PM
I've come to a stop when I've seen the lights, only to have the bus drive right on by before it stops.

bluekrissyspikes
04-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Actually, if they do it before they stop, and then it takes several minutes for kids to even get to the front, it can really back up traffic. There's one bus on Queen, between Lake and Shannon, where this happens after 3pm. Takes a few minutes, from first flash of the lights, until they are shut off, all for one high school student that doesn't need to cross the street. Seems a bit excessive.

a few minutes? that doesn't sound right. our kids bus driver doesn't give them very long to get off. if they don't get up right away when he stops he yells to the back for them to pay attention. it never takes more than 30 seconds. i'm pretty sure if they took longer he'd close the doors and leave with them on the bus and they'd have to get off at the next stop. maybe the kid is disabled or something.

b&aMom
04-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Doesn't appear disabled. The only reason I find that example a pain is that on those days, I've picked my daughter up at school, and I'm driving her to work. Otherwise, I couldn't care less about it. My kids ride a bus, too, so I want them safe.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
04-29-2011, 11:36 PM
So lets have kids stand up before the bus stops right? Rolls eyes. Part of the reason they flip the signs out early is so vehicles can slow down behind them in preparation to stop. Can you imagine the confusion is the bus stops outright? I can't believe some of you are questioning why or how lol

b&aMom
04-30-2011, 02:29 AM
Uh...brake lights seem sufficient for everyone else to warn they are slowing or stopping. Besides, we all know they stop all over the place in the middle of streets, so it's not like it's unexpected. They just don't have to start the lights half a block before hey stop.

SSMP
04-30-2011, 09:05 AM
I witnessed some instant karma a few months back. I was stopped for a bus and this car blew past me and the bus. Then I saw a cop pull out of the line on the other side of the bus and pull the car over. I laughed.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
04-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Send your complaints in then. Brake lights don't mean $hit these days. As for a half a block, I think you are exaggerating...

SSMP
04-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Actually, if they do it before they stop, and then it takes several minutes for kids to even get to the front,
Several minutes? Exaggerate much?
I find it quite strange that a person who has a moniker with Mom in it can't wait a bit for someone else's kids to get off a bus. Even a peak hours I have never waited more than a minute for a school bus.
I would suggest, using part of your argument 'we all know they stop all over the place', to plan your driving times better so you have more time to get to where you are going.
Waiting a bit of time won't kill you, but people not waiting that bit of time has killed children.

KRP
04-30-2011, 09:52 AM
I see this daily as my son is getting on the bus. Seems some people are in such a rush that they blow through the flashing lights as all the other vehicles are stopped.

To be honest it doesn't matter if you get their license plate, you have to be able to prove who was driving the vehicle... so in the end the drivers who don't stop will get off unless a cop witnesses and stops them. My FIL is a driver and sees this daily and said the same thing, the rules they have set for things like this are a little out there but they're the rules. You can write the plate number down all you want, but unless you can prove who was driving that vehicle at that moment... you don't have much to stand on.

As for turning the lights on prior to stopping, it's a must. Most drivers turn the lights on a few doors down from where they're stopping, so usually about 5 sec. before they stop. I know that's how it is for my sons bus and as soon as he is on the bus and the doors close the lights are out. So it holds people up less than a min. really, is it that 1 min. of your time really that big of a deal that you can't stop? Getting off the bus is no different for my son.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
04-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Wait. Did I just read a couple of common sense posts on soonet? This simply cannot be!!

KRP
04-30-2011, 09:58 AM
I live in a very busy area, high traffic at all times and at 3:15 when my son gets off the bus there is a lot of traffic and yet it never takes more than a min for his bus to stop and him to get off. Holding up traffic for several min. is hard to believe unless you have a child that is playing around while getting off the bus, then that has nothing to do with the lights or the driver. People are lacking a major thing these days that they really need to get back... and that's patience!

KRP
04-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Wait. Did I just read a couple of common sense posts on soonet? This simply cannot be!!

Even prior to coffee... shocking!

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
04-30-2011, 10:00 AM
It will end soon enough though, once lockdown is over at Riverview and the lunatics have free reign....

KRP
04-30-2011, 10:02 AM
That's usually when I sit back and read rather than post. My signature explains it all.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
04-30-2011, 10:04 AM
I simply call them Delusions Of Grandeur and Tales Of The Mentally Skewed...

KRP
04-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Either way, it's still amusing for the most part.

Tutones
04-30-2011, 10:08 AM
To be honest it doesn't matter if you get their license plate, you have to be able to prove who was driving the vehicle...

If that's true why would the police be advising people to do this in a news release?

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/full_story.asp?StoryNumber=49096

"If you spot a driver who doesn’t stop for a school bus, safely pull over and jot down the following:

- Location, date and time

- Make, model, colour and license plate

- Size of the bus (small or large)

- Children boarding or exiting the bus

- Driver passed from the front or from behind the bus.

vixen
04-30-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm going to buy a spike strip or maybe an air gun and sit on my front porch and just wait! lol I'm on London st so be wear!

KRP
04-30-2011, 10:16 AM
I have done this and you know what I was told and also what bus drivers are told? Do you have proof who was driving the vehicle at the time of the incident? Unless you were able to get a photograph of who was behind the wheel at the time of it, you don't have much to go on. Why do you think the bus drivers don't write the plates down any more because they're told the same thing, how do you know the owner of the vehicle was driving at that time... how do you know that someone else wasn't driving their vehicle. You need proof of the driver more than proof of the vehicle they were driving.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
04-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Either way, it's still amusing for the most part.

Don't argue with me!!!!! lol

KRP
04-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Don't argue with me!!!!! lol

You should know by now that I'll argue with you, enjoy it while I'm doing it and in the end win! lol

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
04-30-2011, 10:22 AM
You should know by now that I'll argue with you, enjoy it while I'm doing it and in the end win! lol

You have a lot to learn little girl

KRP
04-30-2011, 10:24 AM
You have a lot to learn little girl

Of course next to you I'm a little girl... old man! lol

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
04-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Of course next to you I'm a little girl... old man! lol

Scandalous...

hobo
04-30-2011, 10:44 AM
School bus driver, signals

(6) Subject to subsection (9), every school bus driver,

(a) who is about to stop on a highway for the purpose of receiving or discharging children or receiving or discharging adults who have developmental disabilities, shall actuate the overhead red signal-lights on the bus;

(b) as soon as the bus is stopped for a purpose set out in clause (a), shall actuate the school bus stop arm; and

(c) while the bus is stopped for a purpose set out in clause (a) on a highway, shall continue to operate the overhead red signal-lights and stop arm until the passengers have been received or discharged and until all passengers having to cross the highway have completed the crossing.

* highway” includes a common and public highway, street, avenue, parkway, driveway, square, place, bridge, viaduct or trestle, any part of which is intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles and includes the area between the lateral property lines thereof;

Seems pretty simple to me except for the part where for some people it's hard to calculate the time it's going to take to get a coffee at Tim Horton's and make it to work in time when the stupid school bus keeps turning on the red flashing lights.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
04-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Let's throw rocks at the bus driver and kids to make them move faster...

official soonet pu$$ycat
04-30-2011, 11:53 AM
I frequently run through bus lights. They need to learn to look both ways anyway. If they run out in front of cars the last thing they will see is my license plate in their face. It's a vanity plate.
DRWNS LAW

lynys
04-30-2011, 12:00 PM
I am still shaking my head about people not liking the lights being activated as a signal that the bus is going to stop. FYI... city buses let you know they are gonna stop too before they actually do. They signal to the right. then they stop... ;)

Funny, cause I am pretty sure that people driving cars are required to do the same. :)

As for the brake lights warning us comment... Do you always stop when you hit your brake lights? Every single time? I know there are times when traffic flow suddenly slows down, and I am forced to brake slightly to adjust my speed, and still continue driving. Wouldn't it be funny if a bus sometimes has to do the same thing?

*shakes head again*

BAILEYDOG
04-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Since the whole point of this discussion was how people don't stop for the flashing lights on a school bus, doesn't it seem funny that people are saying that the brake lights of a bus are enough warning to let people know that the bus is going to stop. I live by JKnxdk and see it with her kids bus as well as my own kids bus, people putting makeup on, on the cell phone, eating, racing to get a spot in line and just not paying attention. Luckily our kids don't cross the street when they get off. From what i see it is not people being impatient just not paying attention, most never even give the bus a second look even with her laying on the horn.

Tutones
04-30-2011, 12:24 PM
I frequently run through bus lights. They need to learn to look both ways anyway. If they run out in front of cars the last thing they will see is my license plate in their face. It's a vanity plate.
DRWNS LAW

The whole point is that the bus is too large for small children (or adults, for that matter)to see traffic traveling in the same direction until they step into its' path when crossing the roadway, but if you can still look yourself in the mirror and get a good nights sleep after mowing down someone's five year old child because you felt they should have 'known enough to look both ways' - good luck to you!

dancingqueen
04-30-2011, 06:14 PM
To be honest it doesn't matter if you get their license plate, you have to be able to prove who was driving the vehicle... so in the end the drivers who don't stop will get off unless a cop witnesses and stops them.
I think you are mistaken, otherwise, the same "logic" would apply to parking tickets and whatnot, The owner of the vehicle is responsible for what is done with the vehicle.
A long time ago when I was in college, one of the girls in my class passed the school bus that had apparently not had it's stop sign out or some other justification... and she got her ticket in the mail, there was no hearing, she tried fighting it, but in the end still had to pay.

hobo
04-30-2011, 07:08 PM
The way I understand it and as it has happened to others, if a witness to the incident or the bus driver takes down information such as car make, colour and plate number the police will issue a ticket (fine + 6 demerit points). If the witness can identify the driver the demerit points and fine might stick depending on whether the issue goes to court and the witness shows up in court. If the driver can not be identified the fine goes to the owner of the vehicle but there are no demerit points - this can also be fought in court.

Hans
04-30-2011, 08:59 PM
What's interesting is driving the speed limit and have a school bus overtake you.

nightingale
04-30-2011, 10:10 PM
I've come to a stop when I've seen the lights, only to have the bus drive right on by before it stops.

I've had the exact same thing happen to me! Boy did I feel dumb.

cybolynx
04-30-2011, 11:51 PM

that is because people are idiots ... you can give any excuse in the world why you think its ok to run past a bus ... but its dumb and stupid ... and those people should have their license pulled on the spot IMHO ... just like drunk driving .. PULL it on the spot ..

official soonet pu$$ycat
05-02-2011, 12:57 PM
The whole point is that the bus is too large for small children (or adults, for that matter)to see traffic traveling in the same direction until they step into its' path when crossing the roadway, but if you can still look yourself in the mirror and get a good nights sleep after mowing down someone's five year old child because you felt they should have 'known enough to look both ways' - good luck to you!

Haha no offense Tutie, but you're dumb.