PDA

View Full Version : Lifetime Rustproofing

theGuy
05-02-2011, 10:00 PM
When I bought my last vehicle, I paid $500 for lifetime rustproofing. I bring my car in once a year for touch-ups.

For my other vehicle, I've paid $100+ per year for 10 years. (so that's well over $1000)

I just bought a new vehicle and the dealership no long offers lifetime rustproofing for a fee. Instead they offer that electronic module which I don't trust and don't want to try.

Does anyone know what places in the Sault (if any) offer lifetime rustproofing for vehicles? I'd like to go that route again. I just need to find (a good place) that offers it.

Thanks

Barry Morris
05-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Lifetime rustproofing lasts as long as the rust doesn't show up.

I have an 81 Ford van that is testimony to the fact that Rustchek (every year) actually works.

Anapeg
05-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Those electronic doo hickies must work. My Daughters Chrysler mini van must be ten years old and no rust yet.

Barry Morris
05-10-2011, 11:47 AM
10 years old??

Call us in another five.

Jack Butler
05-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Why?
A 10 year old Chrysler van with no rust....enough said!

Anapeg
05-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Why?
A 10 year old Chrysler van with no rust....enough said!

Thanks Jack. That was my point SB. NO rust, not even surface rust on the hood or back door. The machine is not horribly expensive and never needs work. One time expense and forget about it, done deal.

Barry Morris
05-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Ya know how to find rust???

With a sawzall.

The rust that kills cars is not visible. Until one day, it's too late.

Edit to add: Where can I find a 20 year old vehicle with this device. I want to see how it's working, compared to my 30 year old van that was RustChecked.

Jack Butler
05-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Give it up SB....10 years is enough to show there is a difference...shissssh!
You can google the testimonies of both products...probably.
You are too much, always to the extreme.

Barry Morris
05-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Give it up SB....10 years is enough to show there is a difference...shissssh!
You can google the testimonies of both products...probably.
You are too much, always to the extreme.

Bull, Jack. Almost any modern car can go ten years without perforations. I should know, I've repaired enough. Like owned 50 plus cars in over 40 years.

I don't need to google "testimonies", like they would show failures, right. All I have to do is keep my eyes open. There's a few cars around town with the paint fadedright off, and Rustcheck stickers all around the back window.

Keep buying a new car every ten or less, so you can believe this "miracle cure" actually works, and keep us mechanics working!! Thanks!!

Jack Butler
05-11-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm sure you know the difference between a mechanic and a bodyman?
You blend the two like it's one trade and it's not...whatever.
I tend to think oil in manditory for rust prevention, but living on the highway , I see new vehicles start to rust in 3 or 4 years, regardless of what they do or don't do.
10 years is plenty of time to realize if there is any effect. To say it's not is just for argument sake....really!
If oiling is so good, why does it always rust at the holes they drill...ha, ha, ha?

Barry Morris
05-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Always?? Not my 81. Not my 96.

As to the difference between a bodyman and a mechanic? Yeah.

Anapeg
05-12-2011, 12:49 AM
You pay how much for the initial drilling spraying and plugging of holes PLUS 100.00 plus a year for oil spray. I will save the twelve to fifteen hundred and just get a body job when necessary and not have crap dripping in my drive if the electronics is kaka. What are the chances of "bad stuff" being in the used oil like PCB's? They are in the mineral oil in used transformers and junk. I know this as I was payed handsomely to haul it for re refining.

Barry Morris
05-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Check here about Rustchek. It is NOT used oil!!

http://www.rustcheck.com/rustcheck.asp

What I like about Rustchek is the fact that, if a spot is missed (inside and out of sight) one year, it will get it the next.

I don't mind a little mess to keep a solid body.

theGuy
05-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Oh my! Look at what I started ...lol.

Well, turns out the stuff I was talking about is the black stuff they use for "lifetime" rust protection vs the amber oil most places use.

Now i'm wondering if I should go for the black, more permanent stuff, or go with the annual amber oil. I was told the black stuff was more for new cars. I just bought a used 2010.

At this point I'm leaning more towards Oilgard downtown. (amber, annual)

Opinions? Suggestions?

Barry Morris
05-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Like I said above, a system that does it every year is going to catch what it missed before.

Anapeg
05-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Like I said above, a system that does it every year is going to catch what it missed before.

Like I said before the electric doesn't miss, ANYTIME!

Barry Morris
05-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Like I said before the electric doesn't miss, ANYTIME!

I'm kinda chuckling as I think about just how one discovers that the electric device burned out 5 years ago!!!

_daynzy
05-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Too much plastic in the newer cars for them to rust now :D

Barry Morris
05-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Frames ain't.