PDA

View Full Version : OHF Bans Bodychecking In House Leagues

Jack Butler
05-06-2011, 06:00 PM
The change affects players between the age of six and 21 who play in house leagues and select hockey — not the representative level — in the Greater Toronto Hockey League, the Ontario Minor Hockey Association, the Northern Ontario Hockey Association and the Minor Hockey Alliance of Ontario.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/986873--ontario-hockey-federation-bans-bodychecking-in-house-leagues?bn=1

_daynzy
05-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Dumb, dumb, and DUMB!

So now all the kids that grow up playing competitive are allowed to hit, and the house leagues aren't? So what happens if a kid is a late bloomer with his skills and joins competitivein Bantam or PeeWee, he's gonna get railed over by the kids who have had years of body checking experience.. no?

Jack Butler
05-07-2011, 10:32 AM
That's a great point! We hot stoved that exact topic yesterday!
The late bloomer could be a thing of the past?
I kinda figured the OHF would do something, I just didn't think they would go this far!
I don't see it as a postive step.

Barry Morris
05-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Body-checking lessons??

RWGR
05-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Ridiculous. Body-checking is an integral part of the game. It's the main way you remove a player from the puck.

Society has become so sissified.

riggs
05-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Ridiculous. Body-checking is an integral part of the game. It's the main way you remove a player from the puck.

Society has become so sissified.

If sissified is an actual word, I fully agree with your post......................:smile:

RWGR
05-07-2011, 03:25 PM
sis·si·fied
   [sis-uh-fahyd]
–adjective
sissy.

riggs
05-07-2011, 03:45 PM
sis·si·fied
   [sis-uh-fahyd]
–adjective
sissy.

That word should never be mentioned in regards to hockey. Everything we enjoy is being destroyed. Perhaps an apology will be next after every hit where permitted.

_daynzy
05-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Whats next, no hitting in football? Rubber hockey sticks so getting slashed doesn't hurt? Come on.

RWGR
05-08-2011, 08:23 PM
That word should never be mentioned in regards to hockey. Everything we enjoy is being destroyed. Perhaps an apology will be next after every hit where permitted.

What happens is the kids learn the game without learning how to hit properly. There obliviously is an art to hitting.

Now we don't let the kids hit until they are 13 or 14, and they don't have a clue how to do it. That will result in more injuries than any other scenario.

riggs
05-08-2011, 08:40 PM
What happens is the kids learn the game without learning how to hit properly. There obliviously is an art to hitting.

Now we don't let the kids hit until they are 13 or 14, and they don't have a clue how to do it. That will result in more injuries than any other scenario.

You have no argument with me on this. It will pan out exactly as you say. It's an integral part of the game and these kids will be left defenseless.

Jack Butler
05-08-2011, 09:00 PM

You're expecting the rest of the hockey world to stay the same?
From here on, some kids will never know the contact game!!
How does that make for more injuries?

_daynzy
05-08-2011, 11:12 PM
What happens when the ontario teams go on tournaments to the US or other provinces that have body checking?

Jack Butler
05-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Good question!
I think you're gonna see everybody change...eventually!
USA Hockey is already talking change, so....

RWGR
05-13-2011, 09:50 PM
You're expecting the rest of the hockey world to stay the same?

Ummm...what??

From here on, some kids will never know the contact game!!
How does that make for more injuries?

Because eventually certain players will play at a level where there is hitting.

C'mon, Jack, wake up. I know my hockey knowledge puts you to shame, but quit making it so easy for me.

Jack Butler
05-13-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm not surprized you don't get it.
I'll say it again, "From here on, some kids will never know the contact game"!
The largest number of kids will be non-contact and will stay non-contact, removing them from the risks.
Certain players will exist that make the transition, but not many.
Why do you think with the large majority playing non-contact and staying non-contact, that injuries will go up?
Sometimes I think you don't have a clue!

RWGR
05-13-2011, 10:25 PM
You're embarrassing yourself now.

Jack Butler
05-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Hardly!

riggs
05-13-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm not surprized you don't get it.
I'll say it again, "From here on, some kids will never know the contact game"!
The largest number of kids will be non-contact and will stay non-contact, removing them from the risks.
Certain players will exist that make the transition, but not many.
Why do you think with the large majority playing non-contact and staying non-contact, that injuries will go up?
Sometimes I think you don't have a clue!

He's saying those who move beyond the house leagues will be playing against others who have experience with body contact. Those with experience will be much better off than those without any.

Jack Butler
05-13-2011, 10:51 PM
The ban is from 6 to 21 years old...most won't!
That will reduce injury, it's simple.
I'm not debating your point as it is obvious and will be rare!

Westender 3
05-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Poor kids are going to get creamed when they go to the States for tournaments.This ban will ensure that kids won't go stateside for tournaments.Maybe that is part of the motive for this move.Makes sure we have to go to crappy tournaments over here.

Dumb move.Don't want to body check?Go play in the girls league.

Jack Butler
05-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Good question!
I think you're gonna see everybody change...eventually!
USA Hockey is already talking change, so....

....in case you missed it!

Westender 3
05-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Eventually doesn't help my kid who goes into bantam this year.

Jack Butler
05-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Why?

Westender 3
05-17-2011, 09:51 PM
USA Hockey is only proposing to upping the age for checking from peewee to bantam,not altogether banning it.
So,our kids will be at a disadvantage whenever they step on American ice.

http://www.usahockey.com//Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=ET_03&ID=299508

Jack Butler
05-18-2011, 12:23 AM
I think you'll see more than that.
Unless it's rep hockey, the usa is about shopping not hockey.
You want good hockey tournaments stay in Canada

Westender 3
05-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Unfortunately,the better tournaments are in the states.That's just a fact,Jack.
If you've ever been to a tournament in,let's say, Sudbury,you would know this.Teams from the Sault just don't go to Canadian Tournaments.

This new rule is just another example of the GTHL and Southern Ontario imposing their will on the whole province.If not, Hockey Canada would be imposing the rule countrywide.

This is the pussifacation of hockey.It's why we're slipping.

Jack Butler
05-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Did you get hit in the head?
That is so far off I don't know what to say.
I been in every barn you can think of over the last 25 years, so yes I've been to a tournament before!
From Ontario to Quebec, Michigan, Ohio, Minnasota, Illinois makes me a pretty good judge.
None of these tourneys were house league, they were AA and AAA.
The difference in the caliber of player was huge even when USA Hockey was a year older, so it can't be about the hockey!
As far as Sudbury goes, I understand, they are brutal tourneys other than the Silver Sticks qualifier.
I like to challenge the teams and actually teach them something.
Getting beat by better teams help you understand what you need to work on.
Than you have to go back to that same level, later, to see your improvement.
Too many teams scout tourneys on whether they can win it, rather than to actually see how good they are.
That mentality has, as you put it, pussified hockey IMO!
Oh.....and the shopping!