PDA

View Full Version : The Bat Cave?

GreyWolf
05-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Would any one know if the bat caves are not off limits? My bf and I took a trip down to see it and it looked like it was roped off and a lot of private property keep off signs around. As far as I know we were in the right spot according to the directions we found here on soonet in a thread. Are they trying to stop people from going on that walk?

thanks!

hobo
05-12-2011, 10:40 PM
I read somewhere that during hibernation the climate inside the caves can be affected by human presence - maybe they are trying to keep people away for that reason.

The problem is mentioned in this article -

http://johanna.wandel.ca/batcave/index.html

GreyWolf
05-13-2011, 10:56 AM
I read somewhere that during hibernation the climate inside the caves can be affected by human presence - maybe they are trying to keep people away for that reason.

The problem is mentioned in this article -

http://johanna.wandel.ca/batcave/index.html

That could be the problem, if they put it up during the winter and never took it down. Should be okay to go on the walk there now though.

Tutones
05-16-2011, 05:36 PM
It may have something to do with the discovery of White Nose Syndrome in local bat populations...

WNS is believed to be the first disease characterized that will specifically target hibernating animals. Once a hibernaculum (where the bats hibernate) is infected by the disease, the mortality rate for the resident bats is over 90 per cent.
The mode of this astounding lethality is not fully known, but scientists believe it has to do with early arousal from hibernation. These tiny creatures rely on hibernation to make their energy reserves last throughout the winter until they can hunt again. The balance is so delicate that a single arousal can cost a month’s worth of fat. It appears that WNS causes the hibernating bats to awaken early and then leave the caves in a hopeless search for insects that haven’t emerged yet; eventually they starve.

http://www.themanitoban.com/articles/40859

Apparently, there is the possibility of a North American extinction of bats within 16 years due to this disease... It is advised that people not disturb the bat caves as they can transmit the fungus from one cave to another through their 'innocent' travels.

lennoxsmith
07-19-2011, 02:31 PM
I grew up down in that area, and from my knowledge the WNS is a major issue, as well winter time visits to the caves should not take place as as little as 2 adult human bodies in the cave can significantly raise the temperature in the cave and effect the brown bats negatively in their hibernation. I would advise to enter the caves only from mid spring till about mid-late november. Also to note the property where the bat caves are located is actually private property, so I cant stress enough to respect the area when you go to the caves as it has had allowed access for many years. I was up in that area recently and you should be aware that I did see a large sow bear with two small cubs, so caution should be taken in that area.. I was on my four wheeler and she was not intimidated at all by me, and simple hiker would have been in trouble if she decided to charge or protect her cubs!

Larimar
07-31-2011, 01:57 PM
yeah, after trying (in the summer not winter) I'm glad I didn't go through the ropes because I found out about the disease a few weeks after that.

dancingqueen
08-06-2011, 04:10 AM
We have bat caves?????
shows what I know about my own home :s