PDA

View Full Version : Last chance, please help. :(

TNT
05-14-2011, 02:40 PM
I have a 1 year old great dane who I took in as a rescue when she was 12 weeks old. She was born with hypothalmia (eyeballs too small for orbits) and is almost completely blind. The breeder she came from was unable to sell her so she asked me to keep her. She was raised with dogs, cats and children and was a normal spirited pup.
When she turned approx 9 mos old we began noticing a tendency to be very rough. She began with a food aggression around other dogs, which we were more than willing to accomodate and fed her alone. She then began attacking the other dogs, which became a safety issue, so we cycled her and kept her away from the others. At 1 yr of age she showed aggression towards my 6 yr old........thats when it was time for her to go.
I have been unsucessful thus far in finding her a home with no other dogs or children. I realize she is a difficult case, I've spoken with the humane society.We feel the atmosphere there would stress her out and they likely would have a hard time finding her a home also. Rescues refuse her as they do not take any dog that has exhibited any aggression towards a human. It's reccomended that she be euthanized.
This kind of fate makes me physically ill to think about. She is a very sweet dog towards adults, but I cant trust her with small children or other dogs. She would be a wonderful dog for any adult with no small children or other pets. She walks very well on a leash and offleash, shes a lapdog.
I don't know alot about her background, and I dont know why she turned the way she did. But she's healthy, apart from her vision.
With aggression towards children I can most certainly not accomodate her anymore. The last thing I want to do is put her down. We love her, shes part of our family, but.......we just cant help her. If anyone knows of a responsible adult with no young children or other dogs, that may be able to care for her, please pass the info along.
This is her last chance. We want more than anything for her to be happy and safe for the rest of her years. We have however run out of time.
Please no nasty comments, we have exhausted our resources trying to help her and this hurts us more than you could ever know.

MagicFingers
05-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Sorry to hear about this. I remember when you first posted about this and have thought about it. unfortunately I can not help, I have a one year old and we are trying for another, we also have cats and my parents dog often spends time with us so that is also out of the question. I have kept you in mind but I know no one that could help, specially with that size of a dog.

I do wish you much luck and will keep my eyes and ears open to any possibilities. Sometimes we just have to do our best, trust that we did our best and let things fall where they must. I know it will be a difficult decision but if it comes down to that I know you would feel terrible if the dog bit a child and as much as a dog makes that choice you have to wonder what they are thinking and not that that is the type of life they would want.

HUGS and good luck with this, I fear you have a difficult decision ahead.

Bufford
05-14-2011, 07:25 PM
awww sad, I wish you all the best.

TNT
06-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Dear sweet Valentine, we'll miss you like you will never know. But somwhere out there is a person who's looking for a girl like you! I know it! Baby, if nobody comes for you....I'll be back for you......and I will walk you over that bridge myself! I love you baby......we pray you find whatever it is you're looking for! What a ****in grim night in this joint.......xoxoxox plz be a good girl val!!

TNT
06-02-2011, 11:05 PM
We brought her to the HS today...hoping with all the traffic they have they can find her a home....this is her last chance! Shes sad here, losing weight, unhappy from being isolated from her loved ones because of the fear of her biting one of the kids........which she did tonight.
Shes just unsafe ENTIRELY now! This FN sucks!!! If any of you know ANY of the HS staff please pass on this.."If she does NEED to be euthanised...let ME do it at HER vet and give her a proper burial!!!! PLEEEEAASE.....I've already spoke with the staff there....but in case they didn't write it down...PLEEEAAASE DO NOT euthanize her without telling me............I cant possibly see my baby in a freakin' landfill.....dear god! Shes a sweeeeeet girl...but just not well...she needs adults!!
ANYONE !! Give her a chance. NO children and NO dogs...thats all....what a waste of a life. SOMONE PLEASE!!!!! Go to the HS and help her out!!!!!!! I'll pay her adoption fee!!!! If you cant, but know somone there PLEASE tell them to contact me if they cannot find her a home!!!! I WILL NOT SEE THAT BABY END UP IN ANY FREAKIN LANDFILL!!!!!!! somone help. plz. :'x

Luv'inLife
06-02-2011, 11:33 PM
aww TNT [hugs], she knows you tried.

kattty
06-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Hey...Is there anyway you'd be willing to transport her?Meet me halfway at least..I'm going to call rescues here and see if they could place her ..I'd be willing to drive towards the Sault to pick her up on my own dime.

I've sent around a few e-mails...I'll keep you posted

Let me know if you can still get her out of the HS or a perminent home hasn't been found.

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this...:(

A*lil*Loopy
06-03-2011, 05:46 PM
My heart breaks for you. I've poured over this over and over with my husband and truly wanted to take her but I am unable to. I cannot put my small dogs or my livestock at risk.
I understand why you did what you did and my heart goes out to you.

TNT
06-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Hey...Is there anyway you'd be willing to transport her?Meet me halfway at least..I'm going to call rescues here and see if they could place her ..I'd be willing to drive towards the Sault to pick her up on my own dime.

I've sent around a few e-mails...I'll keep you posted

Let me know if you can still get her out of the HS or a perminent home hasn't been found.

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this...:(

Ive contacted all the rescues, they are all at capacity right now...they said if I keep her for awhile a spot may open up.....unfortunately after last nights bite.....I can no longer look past the obvious safety issues. She couldnt stay here any longer. But Kattty if you find somone that can help her, I will most definately go back and re-adopt her with intentions on moving her to a better place. and YES ABSOLUTELY Id drive to the end of the earth to see her happy!!!!!!!!! I hope the stress there doesnt make her lose anymore weight!! She looks HORRIBLE poor baby!! I just keep crying and crying wondering what else could I have tried for her...:(

TNT
06-03-2011, 05:55 PM
And thankyou all for your kind words of support, Ive never had to leave an animal in the care of a humane society before. I pray they give her attention and help her feel safe....*cryin again* uuugghhh

kattty
06-08-2011, 08:14 PM
According to sources, your pup was adopted:)...

good news!!!!

kitca
06-08-2011, 09:42 PM
oh i hope so, i hope for happy endings...

TNT
06-09-2011, 02:15 PM
According to sources, your pup was adopted:)...

good news!!!!

OMG REALLY!!!!!! OH THANK GOD!!!!! I knew they could find her somone...I Knew it!!! We'll always love you Valentine, be a good girl and live that life you so definately deserve!!! xoxoxoxox Thankyou Kattty, Im still crying but now they're tears of joy! :D

You have made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

everywoman
06-09-2011, 02:26 PM
*like*!!!!!

A*lil*Loopy
06-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Totally relieved! Good news.

SIMBA
06-09-2011, 07:32 PM
What an amazing story. It was so sad but a great ending!! :)

TNT
06-10-2011, 03:58 PM
This is by far the hardest thing Ive ever had to do....and BY FAR the best outcome I could have asked for. Shes a sweet puppy, just not a good fit for our busy family (being blind). I thank ALL of you for the kind words, understanding and passing the word. I'll NEVER forget her, and hope shes happy for the rest of her life! xoxox Valentine, whoever adopted her....you're a god-send and thankyou so much for giving her a chance!!!!

gouligann
06-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Big smile here for your girl and a chance at a good life. Here's a "Like"!!! for this story.

tablehigh
06-22-2011, 01:07 AM
TNT did you get a phone call from the new owners, for I forwarded your number on to them. I hope you don't mind for they wanted some more info on the dog.

TNT
06-22-2011, 10:49 AM
TNT did you get a phone call from the new owners, for I forwarded your number on to them. I hope you don't mind for they wanted some more info on the dog.

No I dont mind at all!!! I'd love to hear from them. I didn't get a call yet, but we were away at camp for a week. there was a number on my phone that I didnt recognize Elliot? Would that perhaps be them? As Ill call back if it is. Thx :)