PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal for a dog to grieve?

Bufford
05-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Is it normal for a dog to grieve and go into a depression? Ever since we lost our little one to the coyote our other dog is acting very depressed, they had been together all their lives and he had always been her play mate, protector, teacher and best friend.
He has always been a bouncy happy dog busy all the time, loved to play ball and go for a ride on the 4 wheeler now he is hardly eating and lays in his bed all day, when we ask him to play ball he just looks at us and goes back to sleep, Iím afraid if this keeps up he will make himself sick, I donít know what to do for himÖand suggestions?

Peety
05-17-2011, 10:17 AM
My female did not eat for 2 weeks. it was horrible, When I got a new friend for her she was back to her old self.

TNT
05-17-2011, 11:07 AM
OH YES!!! Dogs greive just as we do! I've heard of MANY cases of a dog losing its "partner in crime" and having serious issues. You may have to get another buddy for your pooch when you yourself feel ready to do so.

Dragonfly
05-17-2011, 11:38 AM
yes, they do. My mom a few years ago had both of her cats pass away in a couple month span and the poor dog just laid there. He always ate everything in site and was super playful. They put bacon etc. right in front of his nose and he would just turn his head. She bought another small dog to keep him company.

SarahMac
05-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Yes, we just went through this with our female beagle when our puppy died last year. She wouldn't eat, wouldn't do anything except lay there. She would cry in her crate at night (she never has before), and it was very sad.

We got her some antianxiety drops to just help her be calm and spent a lot of time with her and it had gotten better in about 3 weeks.

The breeder gave us a new puppy in December and it took a couple days for our female to accept him but once she did she was 150% better than she had been. So once you are ready I would definitely look at getting your dog a companion to keep him company. Or even just find another dog who can play with him/spend time with him/visit with for now.

HDV
05-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Yup it is normal. When we had to put our biy down a couple years ago ( he had cancer) our other dog is still not quite them same anymore.
A friend of mine had 2 dogs and one died of a H.A. and they buried him out back under his favorite tree, well her other dog sat on top of where he was buried for weeks, even in the pouring rain and she hated the rain and even being outside. Sad. :( Whomever said they dont feel is so very wrong. They even cry. Yes the cry, tears. I know I can t be the only one who has had a dog cry..lol mine does when she gets excited or sad. she has tears that run for her eyes, its weird..lol

NikandSuz
05-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Yes!!! we lost our girl after 15 years and our boy was so sad for weeks. Would not play ball or eat. The vet had actually told us there are dog pychologists to help!!! But we got another little girl and he fell in love with her after not too long!!!!