PDA

View Full Version : would you pay?

bluekrissyspikes
05-21-2011, 12:56 AM
if you took your healthy pet in to get dental work done and in the process, the animal ended up getting killed somehow, would you pay for it?

NewCasa
05-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Absolutely not. Did they try to make you pay for this?

bluekrissyspikes
05-21-2011, 01:16 AM
i was not there. my parents brought my daughter to pick up her guinea pig after getting it's teeth done and they had her pay for it and gave her back her dead guinea pig. i am incredibly angry about it. she is 12 and chose to pay for it out of her own pocket. i have shared custody of my daughter so i only have her on weekends and this did not happen in the sault or i would have went down there myself and freaked out. her piggy was her best friend as she has aspergers and doesn't really have any people friends. my parents are saying you still have to pay for the services and i'm saying no, they killed it. she did not bring it there to get put down.

NewCasa
05-21-2011, 01:23 AM
Well I don't think she should have to pay, but I think there's a bigger issue. How is she handling the death of her friend (pet)?

bluekrissyspikes
05-21-2011, 01:28 AM
well, she is really upset. she threw up. she cried herself to sleep. she is here now, i tried to give her chocolate and icecream but she didn't want them. she has been through much worse though(having her father pass away) and hopefully she will feel better tomorrow. i think she feels responsible because she bugged and bugged to get it's teeth done and this is what happened.

NewCasa
05-21-2011, 01:32 AM
Try taking her out to Mockingbird Hill farm or something. Someplace where there's lots of animals. At least she'll have a connection there. I know it must be really tough for her - poor kid. It's really not her fault. This sort of thing just happens sometimes, you know? I know it sounds silly, but watch the Lion King with her and focus on the 'circle of life'. Yeah it sounds silly, but I'm just saying what I'd do with my own kids. Anything to try to get her to understand that it's not her fault and that it's just part of nature.

bluekrissyspikes
05-21-2011, 01:44 AM
those are good ideas. i don't have a vehicle but i can take her to feed the ducks and geese near our house and watch Lion King with her. i told her how responsible she was being that she worried enough about his teeth to actually fight to get them done and to be willing to pay for it out of her own pocket and that there was no way we could have know that was going to happen. she only gets $1/day allowance when she's at my house on weekends if she helps out with her brothers so you can imagine how long it took her to save up the money for this. i think i am going to give her the same amount of money back. i know that won't replace her pet but maybe she won't feel so ripped off on top of the loss.

kitca
05-21-2011, 09:27 AM
awwe, what a sad story. i feel so bad for her. those are really good ideas. i hope she feels better soon.

autum1
05-22-2011, 07:11 AM
bring to the dog show this weekend, we are at Soo Curlers on Anita blvd. To see all the doggies. I have tears in my eyes right now, maybe get another guinea pig? I know they are like a little dog , they do develop the cutest personality.

TNT
05-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Aw poor kid, I cant beleive the vets handed a dead guinea pig back to a 12 yr old......you'd think they could have called you to prepare you...ya know not send the kid....Even had there been no kid involved I'd be pretty pissed if my vet didnt at least call me to give me a heads up that my animal was dead!

HDV
05-22-2011, 01:11 PM
I agree tnt, that was very insensitive on their part and the vet should of known better then to be suck a dic.khead.
I feel for your daughter, and I know with aspergers and autisim when they get attached to something and it is taken away, they fall into a depression and get quite sad, they dont understand like we do.

I wonder if maybe a new guinea pig would make her feel better? And it sounds like they were sneaky about it, make you pay before they tel you it died. Sad.

GreyWolf
05-22-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, I would not pay for it if you werent notified of the possibility of death. The vet should have informed you or whomever consented that Guinea pigs are too tiny to handle to much, especially vet-type drugs...Most rodents/cavies pass away during the procedures and vets are supposed to/ethically warn of this.

What a sad thing for the chil dto go through. She will grieve, but I agree with others- have her around animals or consider letting her pick a new critter. There's a few at the humane society- You could tell her that she's now saving a life.

bluekrissyspikes
05-24-2011, 03:09 AM
well, she seems to be doing okay. she got a new guinea pig. it's not the same but she will get to know it and love it too. it's actually a friends guinea pig. when she told them hers died they gave her theirs so i guess she already knows it a little bit and she is helping because they didn't really look after it very well. other than that she doesn't want to talk about it so i won't make her.

A*lil*Loopy
05-24-2011, 03:56 PM
I know every time one of mine has to be sedated for a procedure, I must sign a consent and in that is the acknowledgement that my animal may not survive the procedure. By signing it, I am agreeing to their terms and paying for their service regardless of the turn out. It sounds awful to consent to pay even if my animal dies but it's always an unfortunate possibility. Even as people, we sign waivers when getting sedated for procedures.

I'm sorry that your daughter had to go through the loss and I'm glad she is doing better. Animals are great healers.

bluekrissyspikes
05-26-2011, 09:58 PM
wow......new guinea pig had babies today. not sure if that's good or bad but my daughter is quite pleased.

Peety
05-27-2011, 09:15 AM
wow......new guinea pig had babies today. not sure if that's good or bad but my daughter is quite pleased.

How nice for her.

TNT
05-27-2011, 10:47 AM

omg how crazy!! That could be kinda fun for her...she can raise them...and maybe make a few dollars for herself selling them. Like a project :) congrats..

HDV
05-27-2011, 10:47 AM

aww thats cool. She must be happy :) Im guessing you did not know it was pregnant when you got it? How many babies did she have? And if u plan on giving them away let me know, my daughter would love one and her 3rd b-day is coming up soon. We were thinking on either a hamster or guinea pig. She absolutely loves her friends G.P and is so good with it and gentle.

bluekrissyspikes
05-27-2011, 09:11 PM
i think it is a great experience for her too see them growing up. so far she says she's not going to give the babies away and we aren't going to force her to but we are trying to guide her in that direction. they are bigger than i thought they'd be, about the size of a grown hamster. and no, we did not know that the guinea pig was expecting before this.

TNT
05-28-2011, 01:12 PM
i think it is a great experience for her too see them growing up. so far she says she's not going to give the babies away and we aren't going to force her to but we are trying to guide her in that direction. they are bigger than i thought they'd be, about the size of a grown hamster. and no, we did not know that the guinea pig was expecting before this.

How many did she have? if you let her keep them all you may want to ensure you have separate cages for them all, they have no shame..lol youll be over-run in a year. I have an extra cage hear if you'd like it. It was my sons bunny cage...for awhile...until we realized this thing is like half jack rabbit or somthing and is HUGE! lol Needless to say she outgrew it. Your dgt can have it if she'd like. :)

bluekrissyspikes
05-30-2011, 12:31 AM
thanks for the offer, i'll keep that in mind. (: there are 3 babies. if she keeps them we will be sorting them by sex.

Dragonfly
05-30-2011, 09:29 AM
You should separate them regardless of sex. I had a friend last year in school who got 2 for her son and they fought all the time because apparently they get territorial? I could be wrong, I never had one, but they used to darn near kill each other.

GreyWolf
05-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Guinea's are extremely social animals and NEED absolutely to be with others of their own kind. You can keep any gender combo together if you research on how to minimize any risks-for example neutering males, providing space, etc. As they grow older and you see certain cavies not getting along you can seperate them. i have seen huthess with over 5 guinea pigs living together just fine. Keeping one alone is just like keeping a dog tied up in the backyard..they are all pack animals. Never keep a rabbit and guinea pig together bc a rabbits kick will snap its neck. They should never be in a small cage meant for a hamster or other small rodent, it should be long and spacious if you have more than one in the cage-this may also help with territoreal disputes btw mature males. Providing small spaces will likely end in fights and /or dead cavies. http://www.guineapigcages.com/ Never use a cage with the grids at the bottom, they will cut themselves and it hurts their feet. Gl!!!

ps: guinea will have less vet probs etc if you use Aspen, I used to order it from a store in the sault in bulk bags. Guinea pigs are very allergic to other types and it can cause respiratory probs and coughing etc.

bluekrissyspikes
06-01-2011, 11:11 PM
she has some kind of fluffy stuff in the bottom of the cages. it looks like stuffing and it only pees in it's litter box. the babies are growing fast. they are already eating grass and timothy hay. i can't tell which ones are boys or girls but they will be weaned in a couple weeks and seperated by sex. right now she is looking for someone to sex them for her.