PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and the fair.

chantelle7
05-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Does anyone bring their dog to the fair. I was thinking of bringing my pup with me when I bring my kids, I try to expose him to as many places as I possibly can and think it would be a good learning experience for him.

GreyWolf
05-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Does anyone bring their dog to the fair. I was thinking of bringing my pup with me when I bring my kids, I try to expose him to as many places as I possibly can and think it would be a good learning experience for him.

It's essential to socialize puppies, I'm glad you know this is important :)
However, I think it's important to know when a stimuli is too much for an animal. Fireworks, concerts, fairs-might be too loud and put the animal off people and new places for good. Some might not mind, but their ears are very sensitive.

I recomend trying parks, whitefish island, board walk..any where that's animal friendly where there are people too. A calm and balanced environment is good for a lil puppy. Goodluck on your decision!

chantelle7
05-23-2011, 12:34 AM
I totally agree with you that socialization is important. My newf pup is 7 months old now and is kind of in the advanced stages of socialization if you want to call it that lol. He has already been to concerts, fireworks and crowds with hundreds of people and has done fine with them. I am trying to prepare him to take the good neighbor test so I am trying to get him exposed to as much stimuli as possible.

GreyWolf
05-23-2011, 12:57 AM
Socialization is something that is for the dogs benefit, though loud places are unhealthy for dogs so though they get a lot of interaction there's also a lot of discomfort that goes unexpressed by the canine. I wouldn't personaly recomend concerts and fireworks, but I wish you well on your journey with your pet :)

This link is about pet safety concerning their ears.
Flooding isn't really a recommended way of socializing.

http://www.pedigreeddogs.net/dogs-and-loud-music-ae%E2%80%9C-help-keep-them-safe-find-your-dog-the-best-dog-clothes-available-to-show-himher-you-care/

Luv'inLife
05-23-2011, 01:05 AM
I would be concerned about the yucky stuff on the ground the dog might eat...or step on...I wouldnt do the fair but definately lots of other socialization is greet. my sister has a newf and she is a beautiful gentle dog.

chantelle7
05-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Hmm I agree with you Grey_Wolf about exposing my dogs sensitive ears to the loud noises at the fair, so I may leave him home or have him there for a very brief period of time. I can assure you that I am not flooding my dog. In all the situations I expose my dog to I keep close eye on him to see if he is stressed or uncomfortable, and if he is, I remove him from the situation.

HDV
05-23-2011, 11:35 AM
NO, dont bring your dog to the fair. I have a dog too and would never bring her there. For lots of reasons, Other dogs may attack, some kids are scared of dogs and I dont want to scare a kid..lol, theres so many people and dogs get in the way. You dont know what son the ground your dog may eat. Dont want dogs pissing or crapping all over the fairgrounds.. I just think its a bad idea to bring a dog to the fair. Now if it was the park, now thats a great idea :)

TNT
05-23-2011, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't ever bring a dog....I took the kids last year and somone had a pitty leashed and held tight. (before anyone starts about pitty stereotyping the breed is entirely irrelevant here) The guy is warning pple as they pass not to come close as the dog is aggressive....ummmmm why in the hell would you bring your pissed off dog to a place like the fair?? Any small child could have slipped under the radar to get in for a closer look...i mean the dog was cute. Dogs can be very unpredictable when overly stimulated like that. Socialization is obviously extremely important, but a place that is too much for people is waaaay worse for a dog. The rotary fest would be a better choice for socializing...not so cramped.
Oh I love newfies, they are beautiful, the hair must be INSANE though.

kitca
05-23-2011, 11:50 PM
good advice.

i think if you keep your dogs needs for this a priority and if he is scared or not doing well in the situation you are able to quickly remove him from the situation.

it is sad when you and the dog are stuck there and it ends up being a bad experience all around. it is so sad to see people and their dogs at ft. creek etc. who dont understand the need for socializing and play with their dogs. i mean, i know they are looking after their dogs and they love them and they are soooooooo much better off than the poor neglected back yard dog, but i just wish these people would get the whole picture with their dog.

chantelle7
05-24-2011, 09:20 AM
I agree with you Kitca, whenever I have Buster around Fort Creek or at Top Sail, there is always people there with dogs that are not socialized, either they aren't good with other dogs or people. I socialized Buster as soon as he was old enough to go outside, he is used to having a lot of people come up to pet him and plays well with all other dogs.

I agree with everyone on here and will leave my big guy at home when we go to the fair, I will just take him for a good jaunt at the park afterwards lol.

TNT
05-24-2011, 12:55 PM
I agree with you Kitca, whenever I have Buster around Fort Creek or at Top Sail, there is always people there with dogs that are not socialized, either they aren't good with other dogs or people. I socialized Buster as soon as he was old enough to go outside, he is used to having a lot of people come up to pet him and plays well with all other dogs.

I agree with everyone on here and will leave my big guy at home when we go to the fair, I will just take him for a good jaunt at the park afterwards lol.

good plan, totally do the rotary fest tho...thats a more pleasant experience...hopefully im there that day...I wanna meet him! :P

TNT
05-24-2011, 01:01 PM
I always bring the puppies to rotary fest cuz the big guys kinda scare pple....but they love the attention! :)

chantelle7
05-24-2011, 01:29 PM
I am most definitely planning on bringing Buster to Rotaryfest this year, my only concern is that usually it is so hot and I don't want him to get overheated, I am going to have to bring gallons of water just for him lol

TNT
05-24-2011, 06:29 PM
I am most definitely planning on bringing Buster to Rotaryfest this year, my only concern is that usually it is so hot and I don't want him to get overheated, I am going to have to bring gallons of water just for him lol

no doubt!! all that fur...you think youll have to buzz him in the summers?? ( i dont know a thing about em lol)

chantelle7
05-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Lol right now his hair isnt that bad, but his fur is still growing in. I will not be shaving him in the summer, when it is hot his energy will just naturally be on the lower side. Most of the time in the summer we are at our camp at the beach or our camp at the lake, so he will have instant access to water if he is hot, and at home we will have a kiddie pool for him to cool down. This is a pic of what his hair looks like right now.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e227/chanie_5/IMG00333-20110524-1205.jpg

TNT
05-24-2011, 07:09 PM
oh my gosh he looks alot like the one by my house....I LOVE the black and white...hes beautiful!! Just want to kiss the hell outta him eh! Very sweet...glad he's got lotsa water around...he makes me hot just looking at him! :P

TNT
05-24-2011, 07:10 PM
did you see the pics of the local dog show they just had, they had a big black one on there...he just looked like a HUGE teddy bear! :)

chantelle7
05-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Yes I did see the pictures from the dog show and the newfie booster. There were some beautiful dogs there that day. I was interested in bringing Buster to the newfie booster but I didn't know if he had to be CKC registered or not...Buster is from Cincinnati and is registered with the AKC.

TNT
05-24-2011, 07:55 PM
hummmmm...I think they had mentioned only dogs competing were allowed(in the paper)....but he's absolutely gorgeous.....Cincinnati's a looong way!! wow. I'll bet he's well worth it though! We have a girl from BC...thats far enough. lol

kitca
05-24-2011, 11:32 PM
omg how gorgeous!!!!

im trying to think of ways to carry water. i know there are collapsing water bowls that are easy to pack and carry with you. you just access to free clean water... ... have you ever noticed all the dog water bowls in petoskey when you shop downtown? very dog friendly place.

Chester Field
05-27-2011, 12:20 PM
omg how gorgeous!!!!

im trying to think of ways to carry water. i know there are collapsing water bowls that are easy to pack and carry with you. you just access to free clean water... ... have you ever noticed all the dog water bowls in petoskey when you shop downtown? very dog friendly place.

I have a couple of Gulpys: http://www.muttropolis.com/products2.cfm/id/3837/name/Gulpy-Water-Dispenser (I didn't buy from this site, it just has some good pictures of the Gulpy)

They clip to your belt, come in different sizes, and provide no-leak storage and the "bowl" all in one. I bought one in traverse City and another from Amazon. We use them for walks, the park and traveling

chantelle7
05-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Oh that looks great, I will have to get a few of those, do they come in different sizes like XL?